Saturday 1/28/2012 What's cooking?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Pork loin chops, brussels sprouts, creamed corn, stuffing or mashed (hub probably wants both) and gravy.

I also have mushrooms, salad greens and broccoli to use up. So they need to be worked into a meal today maybe lunch.

Any plans?

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'll be having the salmon that I didn't cook last night :dizzy:. I'm also going to try my hand at making tzatziki sauce. I've never had it, but I like all the components. We'll see.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Not sure yet...maybe hamburgers on the grill. It's a beautiful day here!!!

lilylove

Going out to dinner with Paul's folks. They have a four hour lay over here in Seattle before flying on to Florida.

Embryodad

It was a tossup between.. Sausage grilled with canned tomatoes and potato wedges...

Fried cabbage with Bow Ties macaroni

Split pea and Ham soup..

or..... Hamburgers / cheese . ..and macaroni salad.

Just fininshed the mac salad..and waiting for her highness to give the GO on the burgers. OOooo! Just remembered..I have chili sauce frozen.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
cooksie, tzatziki is so good a pick. so refreshing. i usually have used it on lamb skewers or get it w/on gyros. salmon is a great thought, tho. it's very simple to make, too.

i need a good, hearty meal. chix stew kinda nite; or steak & carrot puree. sunchokes or celeriac. if too sleepy, i'm ordering food.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Okay...the strawberry pie will have to wait....

Attachments

• dinner01282012-1.jpg
    dinner01282012-1.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 149
  • dinner01282012-2.jpg
    dinner01282012-2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 155

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That looks awesome Mama. :thumb:

We had burgers too. Along with GPS (German Potato Salad) and baked beans. Mmmmmmm Very good eats. :D

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Doc! I followed the suggestions from the BBQ guy. He gave some good advice.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i made frozen ravioli/sauce, salad, buttered some bread. also antipasto items while the food cooked.
i waited too late for steak (it's frozen). i was glad to have a meal that went from the fridge to the living room w/ me. plus, i got to put half that plate into a container to make for lunch or later on. couldn't have the bread- too old.
time for a nap soon!

Attachments

• IMG_2996860.jpg
    IMG_2996860.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 142

Embryodad

i made frozen ravioli/sauce, salad, buttered some bread. also antipasto items while the food cooked.
i waited too late for steak (it's frozen). i was glad to have a meal that went from the fridge to the living room w/ me. plus, i got to put half that plate into a container to make for lunch or later on. couldn't have the bread- too old.
time for a nap soon!
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ..... I'm laughing so hard luvs..not at your ravies..they look good, but at your bread and lumps.
I am a butter lump person. I like little mounds of butter just like that in your pic.
The funny part is.. DW hates when I butter her toast or bread. She says,"What are you trying to do?...Gag Me?"..hahahahahaha

It's the truth. She will G A G with butter like that. She is such a fussy buttererrrer.. She evenly coats her toast, and the butter must be all on the entire surface and right to the edges. I just find it a way to mess with her food.

Even the jelly or preserves. Must be thin, and evenly coated.
I will swear, (God Forgive me) she can take every bit of 2 minutes to butter and jelly her toast; and then she folds it in half.

When my toast is done....I wait till it cools so that my butter doesn't melt. I like to Bite the Butter. Oooooo!!! I'm getting hungry for toast or a bagel now.

Embryodad

We grazed all day.

Supper for me was a Hot Pastrami on Jewish Seeded Rye.
I made the macaroni salad, and DW said it was excellant. ???

Right now..I have a small pot of tomato sauce..and small quarter size meatballs cooking.

DW will taste them, and as soon as they are cooked..I will get her a small dish.

I plan on making Baked Mostaccioli Rigati with ricotta and mozzarella and some mascarpone. I will layer meatballs in with the macaroni's. I normally don't like meat in my macaroni's...but Tina does. I have to make it her way for a change.
She is good to me, and she gets me my favorite foods. So tomorrow will be pay back. In a nice way. L O L

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ..... I'm laughing so hard luvs..not at your ravies..they look good, but at your bread and lumps.
I am a butter lump person. I like little mounds of butter just like that in your pic.
The funny part is.. DW hates when I butter her toast or bread. She says,"What are you trying to do?...Gag Me?"..hahahahahaha

It's the truth. She will G A G with butter like that. She is such a fussy buttererrrer.. She evenly coats her toast, and the butter must be all on the entire surface and right to the edges. I just find it a way to mess with her food.

Even the jelly or preserves. Must be thin, and evenly coated.
I will swear, (God Forgive me) she can take every bit of 2 minutes to butter and jelly her toast; and then she folds it in half.

When my toast is done....I wait till it cools so that my butter doesn't melt. I like to Bite the Butter. Oooooo!!! I'm getting hungry for toast or a bagel now.

haha-i used to nosh on sticks of straight butter when i was a toddler/preschool-age tot. plenty of kiddos seem to like plain butter (or margarine- :yuk:). & my beloved Grandma would make me butter sammiches w/ hunks of butter. my fam was always to put weight on me.

i like butter to stay on the table unless it's good butter like plugra or truffle butter, tho my kitch is so chilly now that it's like it is fridged. that w/ old bread made not for a good smooth, thick layer. my toast/english muffins/bagels hafta be so drenced in puddles of butter, PB or preserves, cream cheese etc.. ummmm- crunchy, creamy goodness. it usually makes it thru to the underside of the bread item- yum! vegemite/marmite're the only ones i use sparingly.

Embryodad

haha-i used to nosh on sticks of straight butter when i was a toddler/preschool-age tot. plenty of kiddos seem to like plain butter (or margarine- :yuk:). & my beloved Grandma would make me butter sammiches w/ hunks of butter. my fam was always to put weight on me.

i like butter to stay on the table unless it's good butter like plugra or truffle butter, tho my kitch is so chilly now that it's like it is fridged. that w/ old bread made not for a good smooth, thick layer. my toast/english muffins/bagels hafta be so drenced in puddles of butter, PB or preserves, cream cheese etc.. ummmm- crunchy, creamy goodness. it usually makes it thru to the underside of the bread item- yum! vegemite/marmite're the only ones i use sparingly.
OMG Sooooo Funn Eeeee.....

I remember when we were kids..we caled it Oleo... It was white like lard, and it came with a little ball of food dye. Mom would stick it with a pin, and then squirt it on top the butter, and we kids used to stir it in to color it yellow.

When Dad got laid off from PDH... called PennDot now, mom and he used to get a stamp book, and go down town on Penn Ave. at the depository for food stuffs, and they would get a 5 Lb block of butter..10 Lbs. of flour, and sugar. Then also was the 5 Lb. block of that yellow cheese. We called it "Poor Board Cheese".
It was great tasting. Bro and I didn't like the Powdered instant milk. Mom would try and mix it good, but we always found lumps of clumpy sticky powder in the milk as we would drink it. Bro would always G A G . Then the slaps started from Mom. We later got used to it, and we just sipped our milk through closed slightly lips. Of coarse we got yelled at for making sipping / sucking noises.
Mom would say,"STOP IT"...God's Cryin, and the Devil's Laughin!" hahahahahaha.....

Now that u mentioned it...I'm gonna have a peanut butter and applebutter sammie.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Everyones meals sound wonderful!!

Mama that burger looks fantastic, nice and juicy. The colors and textures on the plate look beautiful.

Luvs I want raviolis and bread. YUMMY!! I wish you got a pic of the antipasto.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Pan-fried boneless pork loin chop, steamed Brussels sprouts, pan fried mushroom caps (pork chop fond & drippings, butter, my AP seasoning blend and Maggi seasoning), mashed potatoes and gravy.

012812_pork_chop_sprouts_mushrooms_P1090357.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Oh Peeps...I'd gladly share a burger with you for a taste of everything on that plate!

luvs, the ravioli looks wonderful! When your bread is old, you can revive it. Just moisten a paper towel and wrap your bread in it and pop in the microwave for 15 or 20 seconds. Check it and if it isn't soft enough, do it again.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
jimmy, lol. my Grandma called it oleo when it was butter. she was adorable in her 'lil babushka & cooking in her cast iron. i luv to read & read 'bout food histroy. i remember this old babysitter that watched us would get that cheese- as kiddos, she'd make us grilled cheese sammiches w/ it.
ummm, apple butter! that sounds good. think there's some in the fridge.
thanx, & ur dinner looks yummy, peepz....... i made no effort to take a pic, tho, of the antipasto. it was just a 'lil plateful of it w/ the salad on the other half of it, so.......

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Oh Peeps...I'd gladly share a burger with you for a taste of everything on that plate!

luvs, the ravioli looks wonderful! When your bread is old, you can revive it. Just moisten a paper towel and wrap your bread in it and pop in the microwave for 15 or 20 seconds. Check it and if it isn't soft enough, do it again.
Thank you Mama. My family is getting tired of pork loin. LOL BUT when a whole loin costs $25.00 and I can cut it up and get 10 meals (4 servings each) they need to deal with it! LOL

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
jimmy, lol. my Grandma called it oleo when it was butter. she was adorable in her 'lil babushka & cooking in her cast iron. i luv to read & read 'bout food histroy. i remember this old babysitter that watched us would get that cheese- as kiddos, she'd make us grilled cheese sammiches w/ it.
ummm, apple butter! that sounds good. think there's some in the fridge.
thanx, & ur dinner looks yummy, peepz....... i made no effort to take a pic, tho, of the antipasto. it was just a 'lil plateful of it w/ the salad on the other half of it, so.......
Thank you sweetie

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Remember my Chicken from Friday ??

001-7.jpg

Pulled a nostalgia trip out of my bag and utilized the leftovers Ala Granny !

CHICKEN & WAFFLES

007-3.jpg

011-1.jpg

Cooksie

Site Supporter
cooksie, tzatziki is so good a pick. so refreshing. i usually have used it on lamb skewers or get it w/on gyros. salmon is a great thought, tho. it's very simple to make, too.

i need a good, hearty meal. chix stew kinda nite; or steak & carrot puree. sunchokes or celeriac. if too sleepy, i'm ordering food.

I wasn't crazy about the tzatziki. I used a recipe from Serious Eats that made their top 2011 recipes. I guess it's just my tastebuds. I like a simple lemon butter sauce better. Salmon was great though!

Nice meals everyone!

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
the meal looks great- the chix/waffles. kudos to ur Granny & you. i'll take the tzatiki if u dislike it!

Embryodad

Remember my Chicken from Friday ??

Pulled a nostalgia trip out of my bag and utilized the leftovers Ala Granny !

CHICKEN & WAFFLES

007-3.jpg

011-1.jpg
Looks so delicious L trim

I always wanted to try something like that...but my thems / others / ...weren't too enthused when I mentioned it..

Waffles...WAFFLES..they said!!!

I said."YES!" .."Waffles don't always have to be eaten with syrup and gobs of butter.!!":yum:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Made these to take to a dinner!!

Attachments

• 063.jpg
    063.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 064.jpg
    064.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 065.jpg
    065.jpg