Net Cooking Talk

Go Back   Net Cooking Talk > Cooking Talk Forums > What's Cooking Forum

Old 01-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Yank

Lefty is on a distinguished road
Style: pizza
Default Bottom Rump Roast

Suggestions? I purchased one (3.5#) and it came with two pounds of onions and one pound of carrots free. How should I work this? I haven't done a pot roast in a long time. TIA
Old 01-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Restaurant Chef

joec is on a distinguished road
Style: Default VB Style

Here is a pot roast that is pretty good.

1 chuck pot roast, tender chuck, chuck arm, etc., 3 to 4 pounds
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
dash leaf thyme
dash garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cups beef broth
5 to 6 medium potatoes, peeled, quartered (about 1 1/4 pounds)
1 cup baby carrots
1 small rutabaga or a few turnips, peeled and cut in chunks
1 medium yellow onion, cut in chunks
1/2 cup red wine or more beef broth
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 to 4 tablespoons cold water

In a food storage bag, toss pot roast with 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder, a dash of thyme, and a dash of garlic powder. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan; add the pot roast and brown on all sides. Add beef broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 2 1/2 hours. Add 1/2 cup red wine or beef broth, along with the vegetables. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes longer, or until vegetables are tender. Strain juices into a saucepan and bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes. Combine 3 tablespoons flour with 3 to 4 tablespoons water and whisk to make a smooth mixture. Stir into the simmering broth, a little at a time, until thickened as desired.

Arrange sliced pot roast and vegetables on a platter. Drizzle some of the gravy over the sliced beef or serve gravy on the side.

Serves 6.

During creation, God promised man that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world.
Then, he went and made the world round.... He has a sense of humor
Old 01-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Grill Master

Thanked 2,178 Times in 1,569 Posts
QSis will become famous soon enough

Hey, Lefty!

Here's one from Katie E on DC. I haven't tried it yet, but I love the easiness and the gravy idea.

I might top the beef with some chopped garlic and a sliced onion, along with the mushrooms and soups, too.

I like steamed carrots mixed with butter and parsley, so I'd do those on the side.

Pot Roast (from Katie E)

Tear off a large piece of heavy-duty foil. Place the roast in the center, spread one can of, undiluted, cream of mushroom soup over the meat and, then, sprinkle 1/2 to 1 full envelope of dry onion soup mix over the soup. (If I'm in a "I want more mushrooms" mood, I'll add a small can, drained, of mushroom stems and pieces.) Seal the foil tightly and put the whole works in a shallow baking dish or roasting pan. I usually pour about 1/4-inch of water in my baking pan and try to maintain that throughout the cooking time. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for a couple of hours.

The meat always turns out tender, moist and flavorful. Plus, the mushroom soup and meat juices make awesome gravy, so be sure to make a big bowl of mashed potatoes to go with.

Lee

P.S. GO RED SOX!!!!