Lets See Your Rack

chowhound

Yes, you can reuse those plastic anchors, rawls we call them around here. You will have to pry them out, so do so as carefully as you can. They will look expanded some, but they will compress when you push them into their new hole. Blue ones you generally need to drill a 1/4" hole. And they are really only strong in a wall if the pressure is downward, not outward. They are pretty light duty. Oh, they are probably about 7 cents ea, so are they worth reusing... no, but I have reused them.

You know what I don't like about toggle bolts, Dan? And I have some in use right now, so I do use them... I don't like the way the nut only has about 1-1/2 threads. You have this nice 1/4" toggle bolt, drill 5/8", and the threads are so damn light duty on the nut holding the whole shebang from pulling out. I wish they would put thicker nuts on toggle bolts. I'm always afraid the bolt will pull through the nut.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes, you can reuse those plastic anchors, rawls we call them around here. You will have to pry them out, so do so as carefully as you can. They will look expanded some, but they will compress when you push them into their new hole. Blue ones you generally need to drill a 1/4" hole. And they are really only strong in a wall if the pressure is downward, not outward. They are pretty light duty. Oh, they are probably about 7 cents ea, so are they worth reusing... no, but I have reused them.

You know what I don't like about toggle bolts, Dan? And I have some in use right now, so I do use them... I don't like the way the nut only has about 1-1/2 threads. You have this nice 1/4" toggle bolt, drill 5/8", and the threads are so damn light duty on the nut holding the whole shebang from pulling out. I wish they would put thicker nuts on toggle bolts. I'm always afraid the bolt will pull through the nut.

Boy do I agree with that on Toggle Bolts. The bolts are so much smaller than the required whole they tend to twist and move a bit more than necessary.

FryBoy

Don't need no stinking rack! A drawer does fine -- if you mark the tops of the bottles with a permanent marker like a Sharpie so you can find what you're looking for. I also date the bottles when I open them, usually on the side, and toss them if they get too old.

I noticed that a large percentage of spices and herbs begin with the letters A to C, so I keep those in one group and the rest in another to make them easier to locate.

Keeping dried spices and herbs in the dark prolongs their shelf life, or so I've read.

Here's mine:

Attachments

• Spices.jpg
    Spices.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 201

leolady

i've had it for about a month, and it does fit easily in my purse! it is a fun toy, but keyboard is sooooooooo tiny.

K

Kimchee

Oh boy, thanks for the pictures of that SpiceStack.
Might be just what I've been looking for.

Can't stand spice racks with jars that won't hold a full jar of spice..
then you have orphan bottles hiding somewhere. pfffffft!

Capozzoli

Thanks, not much on the blog yet but Ill get some good stuff on there eventually.

Oh, and cant wait to dig into some of your Southern recipes! Thats one cooking area where I need to delve.

leolady

I also want an 8 burner high heat gas stove with 2 ovens and a nice overhead vent. Could you imagine how quick I would be able to punch out a hilday dinner with that setup. 1 oven for the pies, 1 for the huge bird. No need to cook the pies ahead of time.

You mean a stove kinda like this? Sorry, there is only 6 burners!:wink:

CROWN3.jpg