Kalua pig and Hawaiian macaroni salad

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
From the dinner thread:

Dogboa said:
That was the first time I did Kalua pork. The recipe I used only called for pink sea salt. We wrapped a boneless pork butt in banana leaves, then Saran wrap and finally HD foil. Cooked 6 hours @ 275F on the Egg. If I make it again, I'm using a different recipe and only wrapping it in banana leaves. The recipe came from a guy that was highly recommended on the BGE forum as some kind of guru. I prefer to have some smoke flavor for something like this. Guess that guy doesn't. What a waste of the peach 1/2 splits I used. It was good, but not what I expected.

I have to say, I really liked it and I detected a hint of smoke, though I do wish there had been a bit more. It probably could have used a bit more salt too. Craig used a lot of salt, but I think you have to go what looks to be really overboard with the salt since that's the only thing you are using to season the meat. And BTW, that's Hawaiian pink sea salt, NOT the curing pink salt. Oh, and he takes pork to 195-205 F internal temperature for pulling. It can be done in the oven, but you will need to use smoked salt or add a little bit of liquid smoke (I'll let you figure out how much since we don't use it), same termperatures and probably time, but check the internal temperature after 4 hours or so. If you can't find banana leaves (look in freezer in Latin market), just make sure you wrap the pork very, very well in heavy duty foil. You want to keep all the juices in.

I got the Hawaiian macaroni salad from here. It lacked something for my taste so I'll make changes noted below next time. I'm assuming she used very large carrots as I used fairly small ones and had to add more as there weren't as many as in her picture, besides the fact we like carrots. It also didn't have much of a tang to it so I added more vinegar than her recipe calls for. This is supposed to be a very mayo-centric salad, creamy, dressing heavy. I did have to make up more dressing (adding vinegar to dressing as well) and add to the salad after it sat for a couple of hours, since adding a little milk (per her suggestion) wasn't going to cut it to make it look like her picture. I used the Barilla elbows and they sucked up that dressing like there was no tomorrow.

Next time, after doing a little more research, I'll do this.

NOTE: Mac salad has to sit 4 hours minimum, preferably overnight!

1 lb macaroni
1/2 cup. apple cider vinegar
4 small carrots, shredded
1/4 c. onion, very thinly sliced, then chopped
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 large stalk of celery, finely chopped
2-1/2 c. Best Foods or Hellman's mayonnaise (no substitutes!)
1/3 c. milk
1 Tbsp light brown sugar, lightly packed
kosher salt and pepper, to taste

Cook the macaroni until fully cooked per package directions. Drain. While still hot, stir in the apple cider vinegar. Let cool for 10-15 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare vegetables and make dressing by mixing the mayo, milk, brown sugar and salt and pepper to taste.

In a large bowl or tupperware (you will be covering), gently stir or fold the macaroni, dressing and vegetables together until thoroughly mixed. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.

Attachments

• 2018-12-16 18.35.49.jpg
    2018-12-16 18.35.49.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 192
Last edited: