Chile Relleno Casserole

Ingredients:
1 dozen eggs
1 lb shredded cheddar cheese
1 lb shredded monterey jack cheese
6 4 ounce cans of mild green chilies
1 pint sour cream
1 tsp salt
Separate egg whites and set aside. Mix egg yolks with teaspoon salt and pint sour cream
Layer cheese and green chilies in a casserole dish. Whip egg whites until peaks form and
then fold into the egg yolk/sour cream mixture. Pour egg mixture over cheese/chilies
layers, mixing in with a fork (note..I find it easier to build one layer, pour some egg
mixture on and mix, build another layer, pour more eggs, etc.). Bake in 350 degree oven
for 50 minutes.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Here's another recipe that I made last night for my Lenten Friday night dinner.

I halved the recipe and baked it in an 8x8 pan.

I can't, for the life of me, find cans of whole chile peppers!

I used a jar of "fried peppers" and a small can of diced chili peppers . I used some sliced pepperjack cheese (nice!) and reduced fat shredded Mexican blend.

This was really easy and really good! Was hoping for more gooey, melty cheese, but if you use whole fat Monterey Jack, it should make that difference.

My photos underneath the recipe.

Lee

Chili Relleno Casserole

Chili-Relleno-Casserole-blog.jpg

Prep time
10 minutes

Cook time
45 minutes

Total time
55 minutes

A cheater version of the classic, this Chili Relleno Casserole has layers of gooey cheese and peppers, with puffy clouds of baked eggs on top. So delicious. And crazy simple.
Serves: 8

Ingredients

• 5 eggs
  • 1 3/4 cups whole milk
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 3 cans (7 ounce) whole green chilies, drained
  • 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
  • salsa, for serving (optional)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 3-quart baking dish with nonstick spray.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper, until thoroughly combined.
  3. Open up each chili and clean out any seeds; place half of them on the bottom of the baking dish, laying them flat. Sprinkle 1 cup of the jack cheese and 1/2 cup of the cheddar on top. Repeat layers once. Pour egg mixture over the top.
  4. Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes until puffed up in the center and golden around the edges.
  5. Let stand and cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting. Slice into squares and serve with salsa, if desired. Enjoy!

Recipe by Belly Full at https://bellyfull.net/2016/04/11/chili-relleno-casserole/

Attachments

• IMG_3923.JPG
    IMG_3923.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 958
  • IMG_3924.JPG
    IMG_3924.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 974