Low Carb Meatloaf

Rob Babcock

Hello, all! Haven't posted any recipes in a while, so I thought I'd drop in an post a recent low carb attempt. I decided to make a lower carb version of meatloaf with ground flax meal instead of crumbs or oatmeal. Flax meal is basically a net zero for carbs (all the carbs in it are fiber, most non-soluble). In my experiments you don't really get much difference is taste from the flax vs oatmeal but the texture is finer, less coarse. My brother prefers it actually, although I think I slightly prefer the more 'rustic' texture of oatmeal. But hey, you can remove about 120 grams of carbs, so I'll take it!

Instead of thinking of this a recipe, think of it as a procedure. I've found that a good ratio is about 1/4 cup of ground flax meal per 1 lb of meat. You'll need a couple eggs (and I like to add 1 extra yolk) to bind it as you would any meatloaf. Beyond that you can do whatever you like. Here's my rough recipe the way I make it:

1 lb ground lamb
1 lb ground pork
3 lbs ground beef

1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1 onion (I like vidalia but any onion is good)
1 TBSP fresh chopped garlic
Butter or oil, enough to sautee

6 oz Tomato paste (one small can)
2 TBSP Worchestershire sauce
1 TBSP Dark Soy Sauce (any soy is okay, Teryaki will also work)
2 TBSP granulated garlic
2 TBSP granulated onion
1 TBSP chopped italian seasoning
1 TBSP sea salt
1 TBSP fresh ground peppercorn melange (or any pepper)
1 TBSP Srirraca sauce (aka Rooster sauce)
1 TBSP Chili powder
1 TBSP cumin (optional)
2 whole eggs + 1 extra yolk

1 TBSP Srirraca mixed with 2 TBSP ketchup to top

Dice the red & green peppers and the onion; sautee in the butter or oil til everything is nicely carmelized. This will probably take at least 10 minutes.

Mix the meat together; add the eggs + yolk and the tomato paste. Sprinkle all the seasonings across the top and mix well. Dump the sauteed veggies in and mix them together as well.

At this point I grab a sheet of tinfoil and spray it with some pan spray. Turn the meat mixture out on it and form a long loaf. The loaf will cook on the foil, not in a pan. You'll need to modify this in an oven, I cook mine in the smoker. If you use the oven you'll want to do it on a cookie sheet or something that can contain the grease that cooks out. DON'T USE A LOAF PAN! It basically deep fries the loaf and makes it greasy. Once you get a nice loaf, spread the Srirraca/ketchup over the top of the loaf.

I then cook mine in the smoker at 225-250 degrees for about 2-2.5 hours. In an oven I'd suggest cooking at 350, and start checking the temp at about 1 hour. Cook til the internal temp is 165.

The only carbs in this loaf come from the peppers, onions and tomato paste. You can use a bit of ketchup instead of tomato paste or omit it entirely to cut nearly all the carbs out of it. Obviously you can also tinker with the meat selection. I love lamb in mine but I can't always get lamb. If the store doesn't have any I double up on the pork. I think a bit of hot Italian sausage would also be good.

Again, it's more of a method than a recipe. But I've found that the flax meal works very well. The taste is pretty darned close to the same as crumbs but without the carbs.

It is better if you smoke it...:bbq:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I love all the ingredients, Rob!

This sounds delicious!

Lee