Bread Pudding - white chocolate

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, it's Mardi Gras time.... I make bread pudding all year, but don't ever miss bread pudding for Mardi Gras.

And since you all said you'll be fine if I post ingredients and methods...here goes.

Use cuban bread if you can get your hands on it. It's the closest thing to the type of french bread they have in the Quarter that I've found up here. If you cannot find cuban bread find a french bread that doesn't have the hardest crust in the world. You don't want a light and airy centered french bread, you want a bread that has consistency.

Remove the crusts and have about 6 cups final product (hahah, she said product), cubed, about 1inch.

8 eggs
2 c heavy cream
3 c whole milk
about 1T vanilla - and don't use fake stuff, either!
2/3C sugar - you can split it between brown and white, if you like.
6 oz white chocolate, chunked
about 1/2 t fresh nutmeg

About this time, you can think if you'd like to add sauteed bananas, or raspberries. If you do the bananas, sautee them in a bit of rum and butter.

Put the bread in the bottom of a glass baking dish, buttered. Sprinkle the chocolate around the bread. Whisk the eggs and sugars till well blended. Add the remaining ingredients and mix very well. Pour over the bread, pushing the bread back down into the milk/egg. Cover and let it sit, refrigerated, overnight is best, but try to do at least 4 hours. All that eggy creamy goodness will soak into the bread....giving you a very light and airy pudding. If you like it more custardy, don't let it set so long.

Bake 325 till a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Should be between 30-60 minutes, depending on how long you let it set.

Make a warm bourbon sauce with 2 cups of heavy cream, 1T corn starch...bring to a simmer, then add 1/4 c bourbon.

Serve it warm with the warm bourbon sauce.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Copied and saved, Vera - thanks!

I've had a love affair with white chocolate since I was a little girl at Easter, getting a white chocolate bunny for the first time. I'm excited to try this!

Lee

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
This sounds spectacular, Vera!!! And the white chocolate is better for me - not as obvious when I get some on the front of my shirt! (I can only eat regular chocolate naked.)