Franken-Pantry II

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Mama, you are brilliant! As Keltin says, this is the true spirit of Franken-Pantry - being so innovative. I am so impressed.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
mama, i've adopted yourself as my 2nd Mom~ your food makes me wanna swoon!, lol, & often, & your loving/gentle self, awwwwww ~

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Holy CARP! That is incredible Mama! I'm floored! You made pizza dough from RICE! That is incredible. I never even dreamed of Pizza being in this one! And it looks fantastic. It looks like one of those Totinos Party Pizzas….and I love those things!!! Awesome job!! :clap:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Keltin...if I could just have figured out how to make the dough crisp...it really didn't taste bad...especially with all of the cheese I put in it :w00t:.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
So, our Franken Pantry meal is braising. When I told Jerry what we were having, he said, "Well, it's a good thing we have a brand new box of Zucaritas! (sugar frosted flakes)." We'll see....

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
So, our Franken Pantry meal is braising. When I told Jerry what we were having, he said, "Well, it's a good thing we have a brand new box of Zucaritas! (sugar frosted flakes)." We'll see....

Oh now you've done it! The suspense is killing me! Can't wait to see this!! :clap:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
ani36.gif

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Well, here it is...sort of a "Franken-Beef Rouladen". I used very thin sliced beef (took picture of package, but it didn't turn out well). It is labeled "Milanesa de Res", and it looked very nice, but not well marbled. I mixed cooked long grain rice with salt, pepper, cheese and parsley, and spread that on the beef. Rolled it up, tied it, browned it, and then deglazed the pan with the tomato bouillon. I seasoned the meat with some garlic powder - should have used minced garlic. Piled some boxed diced tomatoes on top and cooked for about 45 minutes...served on more of the rice, along with buttered carrots. Jerry gave it a "7"; I gave it a "5". The meat was not really as tender as I would have liked it, but if I had cooked it longer, I think the rice filling would have cooked out. Probably it would have better if I had finished it in the oven for about an hour. But, it wasn't too bad. Would be better with additional spices and onions, I think. But in the spirit of Franken-Pantry, it was fun!

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 166
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 175
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 167
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 162

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Mama and Keltin - it does look a little better than it tasted, but it wasn't bad.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
When I grilled the Frog Legs and Gator, I swore I’d never use one of these disposable grills again. But……they were still on clearance, so I bought a couple and stuck them in the storage shed. Pulled one out tonight on a whim to do a steak. It did cook the steak, but it took twice as long as a regular grill. These little grills don’t pack a lot of punch, but they can eventually get the job done. And they’re kinda fun to use. :lol:

To go with the steak, I made a red wine sauce with garlic, parsley, and butter. It was quite good.

DW marinated her ribeye (on the left) in Dale’s Sauce. :doh: :lol:

step1-80.jpg

step2-74.jpg

step3-67.jpg

step4-52.jpg

step5-43.jpg

step6-32.jpg

step7-26.jpg

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've never tried one of those disposable grills, but the steaks look great!

Oxtails - It's what's for dinner :brows::

Oxtails.jpg

Now, to see if I can make a decent sauce with the pantry ingredients :ohmy:.

Guts

Vera
Here is one way that I like Carrots, I think you might like too. It's got a little booze in it. :gulp:

The London Broil looks good too.

Tequila Carrots
3 med carrots
Boiling salted water
3 T. butter
1/4 t. dried dill weed
salt and pepper
1/4 C. Tequila
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peel carrots and cut in thin diagonal slices.
Cook in boiling salted water 10 minutes; drain.
Melt butter in large skillet or presentation pan.
Add carrot slices.
Sauté' 2 - 3 minutes, sprinkling with dill, salt and pepper.
Add tequila; ignite.
When flames die down, stir and serve.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
How could I not like something with tequila in it?? I had a recipe similar to that, Guts...from long ago. It called for an entire can of beer to saute the carrots in. The beer eventually evaporates leaving a nice coating on the carrots, which were then tossed with fresh tarragon.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Oxtails (had them over cheesy polenta):

OxtailsoverCheesyPolenta.jpg

What I used from the Franken Pantry for the Oxtails:
Beef Oxtails
Beef Bouillon Cubes
Red Wine
Sun-dried Tomatoes
Can of diced Tomatoes
Parsley
Garlic
Carrot

OxtailIngredients.jpg

Browned the tails, added four cups of water and four bouillon cubes, let it cook for about 2 1/2 hours on very low:

BrowningtheOxtails.jpg

Divided the tails from the stock, and into the refrigerator overnight:

Oxtailsreadyforfridge.jpg

Removed the fat from the stock:

RemovingtheFat.jpg

Sauteed the diced carrots, added about two T of chopped garlic, the can of tomatoes, the sun-dried tomatoes, some chopped parsley, 1/4 of the small bottle of red wine (vintage 2008 :huh:), and the congealed stock. Added the oxtails back in and cooked on very low for about another 2 1/2 hours:

OxtailsCookingintheSauce.jpg

Removed some of the sauce and used a stick blender to make a puree for the tops of the oxtails, and then left some of the sauce chunky to go on top of the cheesy polenta

Pretty time consuming, but pretty tasty, and it was a lot of fun trying to work with the limited ingredients. Neat idea, Keltin.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Very creative, and masterful cooking, Cooksie! Nice job.

Keltin? Isn't it time for Franken Pantry III?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Incredible Cooksie! A perfect example of what Franken-Pantry is all about! Outstanding how you made it work! I'm impressed! :clap: