Black Bottom Tiramisu (TNT D)

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I have made this many times. It is a wicked-good-easy dessert. Perfect for an Italian or steak dinner. Think of it when you want to impress. Make sure that the mascarpone is at room temperature and that the melted chocolate has cooled otherwise there will be streaking when the hot melted chocolate hits the cold mascarpone. I hope you enjoy the recipe. Nancy Haughton is a friend of a friend of mine, Judy Bart Kancigor and Nancy graciously shares her recipes; this version is based on hers.
Serves 10-12; Incredibly fantastic
Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
1 (17-1/2 ounces) container mascarpone
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup + 3 tablespoons hot, freshly brewed espresso or coffee
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons coffee-flavored liqueur (I use Kahlua)
6 ounces (or 1 cup), melted and slightly cooled semisweet chocolate chips
2 packages (14 ounces) dry imported Italian ladyfingers (Un Fagotto di Savoiardi)
1-1/2 tablespoons Dutch processed unsweetened cocoa powder
Directions:
Whip cream in a chilled bowl with chilled beaters until the whipping cream is stiff.
In a large bowl, combine cheese, powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons cool coffee and 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur. Beat with an electric mixture on medium speed, until just blended for about 1 to 2 minutes but do not overbeat.
Fold the whipped cream into the cheese mixture. Then, divide the mixture in half and fold the melted chocolate into one of the halves until there are no white streaks remaining. This will be easier if the chocolate has been allowed to cool a bit.
Mix the remaining 1 cup of hot coffee and the remaining 1/4 cup of coffee liqueur in a pie plate. Choose enough ladyfingers to line the bottom of a 9" x 3" springform pan. Quickly dip them into coffee/liqueur mixture (dip quickly so they don't get wet and spongy). Line the bottom of the pan with dipped ladyfingers trimming as need be. Line inside edge of pan with undipped ladyfingers (trim them even with top of pan, and stand rounded side up around inside edge of pan). Then, brush the inside of the ladyfingers going around the pan with the coffee/liqueur mixture.
Spread the chocolate mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers in the bottom of the pan. Cover with another layer of quickly-dipped ladyfingers cutting them to fit as need be, setting them dipped side up. Spread remaining white cheese mixture over the ladyfinger layer. Set springform pan on a double thickness of aluminum foil and bring the tin foil up around the edges of the pan to catch leaks. (Although it has never leaked for me) Loosely cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 6 hours or overnight.
To serve, loosen the Tiramisu by carefully running a knife around inside of the springform pan. Remove the sides of the springform pan. Sift dutch processed cocoa over the top. Don't make the pieces to large as this is a very rich dessert.

Last edited by a moderator:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
This is what it looks like before it is unmolded. I forgot to take another picture after it was cut so you could see the layers. Next time! I am still learning how to use my camera and I forget to take pictures all the time.

Attachments

• IMG_0114_001.jpg
    IMG_0114_001.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,016

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have made this many times. It is a wicked-good-easy dessert. Perfect for an Italian or steak dinner. Think of it when you want to impress. Make sure that the mascarpone is at room temperature and that the melted chocolate has cooled otherwise there will be streaking when the hot melted chocolate hits the cold mascarpone. I hope you enjoy the recipe. Nancy Haughton is a friend of a friend of mine, Judy Bart Kancigor and Nancy graciously shares her recipes; this version is based on hers.
Serves 10-12; Incredibly fantastic
Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
1 (17-1/2 ounces) container mascarpone
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup + 3 tablespoons hot, freshly brewed espresso or coffee
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons coffee-flavored liqueur (I use Kahlua)
6 ounces (or 1 cup), melted and slightly cooled semisweet chocolate chips
3 packages (14 ounces) dry imported Italian ladyfingers (Un Fagotto di Savoiardi)
1-1/2 tablespoons Dutch processed unsweetened cocoa powder
Directions:
Whip cream in a chilled bowl with chilled beaters until the whipping cream is stiff.
In a large bowl, combine cheese, powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons cool coffee and 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur. Beat with an electric mixture on medium speed, until just blended for about 1 to 2 minutes but do not overbeat.
Fold the whipped cream into the cheese mixture. Then, divide the mixture in half and fold the melted chocolate into one of the halves until there are no white streaks remaining. This will be easier if the chocolate has been allowed to cool a bit.
Mix the remaining 1 cup of hot coffee and the remaining 1/4 cup of coffee liqueur in a pie plate. Choose enough ladyfingers to line the bottom of a 9" x 3" springform pan. Quickly dip them into coffee/liqueur mixture (dip quickly so they don't get wet and spongy). Line the bottom of the pan with dipped ladyfingers trimming as need be. Line inside edge of pan with undipped ladyfingers (trim them even with top of pan, and stand rounded side up around inside edge of pan). Then, brush the inside of the ladyfingers going around the pan with the coffee/liqueur mixture.
Spread the chocolate mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers in the bottom of the pan. Cover with another layer of quickly-dipped ladyfingers cutting them to fit as need be, setting them dipped side up. Spread remaining white cheese mixture over the ladyfinger layer. Set springform pan on a double thickness of aluminum foil and bring the tin foil up around the edges of the pan to catch leaks. (Although it has never leaked for me) Loosely cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 6 hours or overnight.
To serve, loosen the Tiramisu by carefully running a knife around inside of the springform pan. Remove the sides of the springform pan. Sift dutch processed cocoa over the top. Don't make the pieces to large as this is a very rich dessert.

Man, Susan, this looks incredible (nice pic, too!!)

See the sentences of your post in red - do you wet the whole ladyfinger or just one side? In both cases, bottom and middle layers?

Lee

FryBoy

I notice this recipe -- which looks and sounds incredible -- specifies Dutch-processed cocoa. I have a number of recipes, mostly for baked items, that say not to use Dutch-processed cocoa. What's the difference, and how do these two types of cocoa affect the result?

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Lee, it has to be a quick dip or they will get too mushy. Also, I brush the ones on the side inside. I dip the bottom and middle ones.

FB, Dutch processed cocoa is less bitter and it is why it is used here. It is made differently and it has different uses than regular cocoa powder. They cannot be interchanged in recipes due to the difference in how they are made.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
PS I just noticed a typo--it is 2 packages of the cookies.
Also, I believe it is best to make this the night before so that the flavors can mellow and the cookies will soften and become like cake. I dust the top with the Dutch cocoa usually before serving. I wish I had remembered to take a picture after it has been cut into. It makes such a pretty dessert.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Susan, thanks for this. I've always had hit-or-miss results with tiramisu. I'm definitely going to try your recipe.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I wish I had remembered to take a picture after it has been cut into.

Well, it's only fair that you make another one, so we can see! :flowers:

I fixed your posted recipe to say 2 packages of cookies.

Lee

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Well, next time that I make one, I shall try to remember. Two years ago, I was gifted with a digital camera and I always forget to use it and I am just learning more about lighting. I am so amazed at how one can fix a shot and make it look better just by a few clicks of the computer.

FryBoy

Thanks for the explanation of the difference between Dutch and regular cocoa.

As for the amount of cookies, is it two 14-ounce packages, or 2 packages totaling 14 ounces? I guess it doesn't really matter as the amount you use is determined by the size of the pan, but inquiring minds....

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Go by the ounces--I have to trim the cookies to fit the round pan and I use the trimmings in the middle. One cannot tell when one does this. The cookies shoot fit tightly.

See also. http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/CocoaTypes.htm

I find that Dutch processed cocoa is less bitter than natural cocoa. In the beginning of most baking books there is an equipment and ingredient section and often how the baker chooses to measure--sift or not, dip and sweep etc. It is best to read each author and follow their directions. It is what I have always done.