March 2010, Monthly Theme: Vegetarian Cuisine

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Ok, as was talked about before, today starts the first day of the monthly theme. For March, the theme is Vegetarian Cuisine.

While there are different kinds of vegetarian cuisine, we are accepting any dish from any of the styles. For a discussion of styles, please see the suggestion for ingredients thread. Any dish, main dish, side or desert is fine, just so long as it is vegetarian.

This challenge will run from today to the last day of the month. If you make anything that qualifies during that period, then please post the recipe. You don’t have to post a picture, but pictures are certainly welcome. The only real stipulation is that you must have made the recipe that you post during the month of February. Please don’t post any recipe that you haven’t actually cooked this month or “plan” to cook later this month. Only post “done deals”.

Ok, that’s it. Pretty simple. If you want to make something special for the challenge, then do so. If your nightly dinner happens to fit the theme, then post it. Now, lets get underway with March: Vegetarian cuisine!

K

Kimchee

Well, since it is my standard lunch, I present to you...

Vietnamese influence NOODLE BOWL!
Napa cabbage, cucumber, hot peppers, carrot, bean sprouts, some nuoc cham sauce for flavor, and vegetarian bean noodles, or vegetarian wheat flour noodles, whichever I decide I want.
Just slice everything up, boil the noodles, slam it in a bowl and shake some sauce over it. (The sauce has fish sauce in it so its not 100% vegetarian.)
The vegetable mix varies some depending on the season. Right now I am adding sweet red or yellow baby peppers... $3.99 a 2 pound bag at Costco, YUM!

I admit that I tend to add some protein.. canned sardines, or whatever leftover meat I have.

The current incarnation leaves out the bean sprouts, adds leeks, and is more a soup.. I flavor the noodle boiling water (kind of like a Ramen packet) and pour it all into the bowl.

This is my standard lunch, has been for 2 years now, and yes, I am addicted!

Attachments

• NoodleBowl1.jpg
    NoodleBowl1.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 242

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Andy, Keltin, Vera, whomever ..... are we including desserts, or are we concentrating on savory entries?

Lee

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I'd say just about all desserts are vegetarian by nature, are they not?? Having said that, I don't see why they could not be included.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Andy, Keltin, Vera, whomever ..... are we including desserts, or are we concentrating on savory entries?

Lee

I think desserts are fine. Drinks are fine too, maybe a bloody bull or mary :D. This category has endless possibilities.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
...maybe a bloody bull or mary :D.

OMG, Cooksie - I haven't had a Bloody Bull since Bermuda in the '70's! LOVED 'em!

They made them with beef consumee, though. How do you make yours?

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
OMG, Cooksie - I haven't had a Bloody Bull since Bermuda in the '70's! LOVED 'em!

They made them with beef consumee, though. How do you make yours?

Lee

Lol--I don't. I just thought that would be something nice to throw out there. I have a blood mary about twice a year--Thanksgiving and Christmas when the harried cook needs to calm down and relax before eating :shock:.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Sorry....that just goes to show you how much I know about mixed drinks....not a lot at all :sorry:.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ummm - isn't a "Bloody Bull" made with beef broth? How is that "vegetarian"?

Yeah, BC, beef broth or consumee (at my hotel in Bermuda), but I was so excited about a WONDERFUL drink that I'd long forgotten, that I got off-track!

Vyapti, those enchiladas look spectacular!!!

Lee

vyapti

Yeah, BC, beef broth or consumee (at my hotel in Bermuda), but I was so excited about a WONDERFUL drink that I'd long forgotten, that I got off-track!

Vyapti, those enchiladas look spectacular!!!

Lee

Here's what I use. When I'm trying to add a beefy flavor to a dish, I use some combination of: no-beef broth (bleow), marmite, vegetarian Worcestershire sauce (Kroger is) and, sometimes, steak sauce.
product-44.jpg
product-43.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I love having a whole month to play with these challenges!

This stuffed pepper recipe made my mouth water when I saw Jamie Oliver make it. It seems to be an odd little fusion of Mexican and Italian, but it works, and was delicious!

I served it with yellow rice and refried beans (man, the latter is FILLING!) in order to keep the meal vegetarian, but next time, I will put strips of bacon over the top of the peppers, and serve them with some chorizo.

I thought it would be neat to throw some cooked orzo in the stuffing, too, and really make the dish international!

Lee

Roasted Red Peppers, Stuffed with Chilis (based on Jamie Oliver’s)

2 red bell peppers
1 poblano pepper
1 anaheim pepper
Cherry tomatoes, halved
Garlic, sliced
Capers
Olive oil
Fresh basil, roughly chopped
Shredded Monterey jack
Bacon (optional)

Halve and clean the red bell peppers. Sprinkle with salt.

Chop poblano and Anaheim peppers. Mix with halved cherry tomatoes, sliced garlic, capers, chopped basil, cheese. Pour in olive oil, and season with salt. Mix and mash a little.

Stuff each half of pepper, and top with a slice of raw bacon. Cook peppers, foiled, at 350 for 40 minutes. Remove foil and continue cooking for another 15 minutes or until tender.

img0481dm.jpg

The ingredients

img0482cr.jpg

Stuffed red peppers and one anaheim

img0484uy.jpg

Served with yellow rice, and refried beans with pico de gallo and red onion

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
That looks incredible, Lee! Worthy of being served in one of our finest Mexican restaurants. The color is so beautiful, too - a feast for the eyes.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you, Terry! I was thinking that it kind of looked like a mess, so thanks for the kind words!

Hey, vyapti, while we are talking vegetarian, what's your recipe for pico de gallo? I like the stuff so much that it's actually getting me to eat CILANTRO!!!

Lee

Thank you, Terry! I was thinking that it kind of looked like a mess, so thanks for the kind words!

Hey, vyapti, while we are talking vegetarian, what's your recipe for pico de gallo? I like the stuff so much that it's actually getting me to eat CILANTRO!!!

Lee

Your dish looks delish. I know you asked vyapti, but here is a Pico de gallo (w/ guacamole) recipe I like (w/ fish/shrimp tacos etc.):

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/pico_de_gallo_a/

vyapti

Lee
I'm sorry, I didn't see your question. I was going to buy some, but I didn't like the price, so I threw together some onion, tomato, cilantro, jalapenos and lime juice. I think the quantities were similar to California Cook's link. Thanks, CC.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks CC - the Pioneer Woman link had the quantities I was looking for! The guacolmole looked incredible, too!

vyapti, I tried storebought pico de gallo and I didn't care for it. The fresh is so much better and easy to make!

Lee