Seed starting mix...

suziquzie

Is anyone else having trouble finding bags of it? Seems like all anyone has are those little pod things that you water and they poof into a plug of dirt....
I dont use the plastic plug things and really don't wanna. I use this thing here to make paper pots and stick 'em straight in the ground..... less handling and stressing the little plants IMHO.... and more room for roots.
B85852.jpg

Anyways, I'm gonna look again at WallyWorld tomorrow, because it is a smidge early yet, but the peppers and eggplants are gonna have to get done in the next 2-3 weeks or so.
Am I alone here? :bonk::bonk:

babe

is it possible to avoid seeds and use little plants instead. guess i will find out. going to walmart tomorrow to see what they have. we have a lowes home store here and they have a nice garden section. will check there as well. as yu are suz. am anxious to get started.

Calicolady

Hey Squz, maybe it's just alittle early for what you're looking in your area?
Ask them when you go next time. I can't see why it would be a problem otherwise.
I remember you showing us that little gadget last year.
I think it's so clever and cute.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Do you have an Ace Hardware store near you, suzi?

My store has had bags of seed starting medium out for a month.

Lee

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
First time...

I was in Home Depot the other day and saw racks and racks of flower seeds..and then the vegetable seeds, and those little pod things, too. Since 12 inches of snow was being forecasted for the next day, naturally, I needed seeds. I did find two bags of miraclegro seed starting soil. I put the pod things back and got two bags of the soil, a bag of peat moss and 4 trays with tiny sections for little plants to grow.

Try Home Depot.

Now, my question to you is....when should I plant my seeds, assuming I want to transfer to the ground in early to mid may?

Calicolady

What did you buy - what plants?
Not knowing, your first plants in the ground should be lettuces, spinach and radishes - they like cool.
But I would read the packets for days to maturity and work backwards from there. Every variety is different.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Babe, yes, you can buy almost anything as a small plant rather than starting from seed. You're in California, right? You lucky duck!

Vera, Calico is right about direct seeding lettuces, spinach and radishes outside after the last frost. I direct seed beans, too. Cukes and squashes - they grow pretty quickly - can be done either way. I'd start tomatoes, peppers, eggplants and herbs inside now.

Lee

suziquzie

Thanks Vera. figures we were at Home Depot yesterday..... might make another stop on today's rounds.

Tomatoes and most herbs start about 6 weeks before going out.... I get those started the last week of March. The peppers, eggplants, some of the flowers say 8 weeks, but they take so freakin' long to fruit I start now.... plus with the stupid 2 week growing season we have here....
Ok not that short but it feels like it sometimes.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Suzi - Thank you for starting this thread. I have no hope at all of having a garden of any sort. This thread does mean that spring is on the say and I am sooooo ready for it.

Andy C

My tomatoes I start april first. Everything else I try to grow from seed indoors doesnt usually work out so i go the plant route. Im always trying to sneak an extra week or two into the growing season here, but everytime I do, mother nature sneaks up behind me and gives me a swift kick in the ass saying " dummy, id doesnt work each year what makes u think it will work this year !!!" So I have given in and buy mostly plants when they are available.

Constance

When I had the greenhouses, I mixed my own potting and seed starting mix.

Here's my formula:
1 part peat moss, finely crumbled
1 part vermiculite
1 part perlite or clay cat litter

Since there are no nutrients in this soiless mix, feed plants with a weak solution of feed (half strength) EVERY TIME you water. (Miracle Grow or Peters Plant Food are what I used.)
This mix is good for potting up plants, as well. You should be able to find Osmocote or another time release fertilizer at your garden center...add to soil as directed (or just throw it in with the mix).
You will still need to feed your little plants with liquid feed about once a week.

One important thing to remember, whether using my "recipe" or commercially bagged mix, wet the mix BEFORE USING, stirring it around with your hands to work the moisture through.

One more important thing to remember about starting your own seedlings: They need warmth to germinate, but once you transplant them, they need a cool spot in full sun to keep them from stretching and having scrawny stems. After they are a couple of inches tall, if you can put together a small cold frame against the side of your house on the south or the west, that will be ideal.