Pulled First Horseradish, Might Be A Good Year

DanMcG

A friend asked me for a little horseradish and some tops to plant on his new property......This is the first one I pulled out...................

403823039.jpg

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Dan,

How do you digg it,? I bet mine might be that long. I keep cutting it off with the shovel.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My father has always grown horseradish.

One time my grandmother tried to grind a lot of it in a manual grinder (before food processors were invented). She turned all red and was choking on the fumes, and we almost took her to the hospital.

Be careful with that stuff - it's potent!

Lee

DanMcG

Dan,

How do you digg it,? I bet mine might be that long. I keep cutting it off with the shovel.
Mine is planted in a sand hill so I just shovel around it some and grab it with both hand and pull...and hope it doesn't break, sending me flying on my backside.
this one was going more horizontally so it did come out easier then usual

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Ah OK. Mine is in dirt. Every time I go past it, I am reminded how mine got started. I bought two roots at the grocery store and only used one. After a couple weeks the fridge, I was going to throw it away. I decided to plant it, what the heck, It would either grow or not.

I tilled up[ a place and planted it. tamped the soil and went about the rest of my yard work. As always, nothing in my house is done without the constant supervision of my tow labs Bear & Liam. After a while, I noticed something in Bear's mouth. He has a huge head and can hide two tennis balls in there. I looked and he had the horseradish root. I took it away from, thanked him for being, after all, a retriever, and replanted the root after putting him inside.

The rest is history. It is very prolific and spreads like crazy. I actually dug some a couple months ago and processed it. I love it on a steak. It is time to dig a bit more. I might just try carefully using a trowel and see if I can get a long root. Once it takes hold, you are never without.

BTW - Got a sausage recipe that uses horseradish?

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I wanted to make hot dogs, I even bought casings, then I looked up the technique and found that it is probably beyond what I can do.

A beef hot dog with a bang from horseradish does sound good though.

DanMcG

Adillo, They ain't hard to make. If I can find an old how to post of mine somewhere, I'll post it here.

DanMcG

If it's the emulsifying that scares ya, you can do a triple grind. which is first grind with a medium plate then freeze the meat, then grind again through a 1/8 plate, freeze and grind again with the fine plate. can't find anything of mine, but I'll find something for a reference for ya.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you Dan, will read.

I really like home made better than store bought. I used to have a great breakfast sausage recipe. My ex has it.