Top’s China Restaurant - Culpeper, VA

Although you need a scorecard to keep track, Culpeper currently boasts approximately 7-8 Asian restaurants at the moment. While “Dragon Chef” is superlative & definitely our go-to for eat-in dining, it’s on the other side of town from us, & when we have a sudden urge for take-out, Top’s it is.

This is definitely a no-frills place. While there are a small number of eat-in tables, the majority of business is the take-out trade. That said, I have favorites here that definitely surpass other places in the immediate area.

“Singapore Noodles” – best version of this dish I’ve come across so far. Thinner than Angel Hair/Vermicelli pasta tossed with spicy hot yellow curry powder, shredded vegetables (carrot, celery, Napa cabbage), & small shrimp, slivered chicken, & roast pork. I’m addicted to the stuff, & they make it spicy enough to raise a sweat, unlike other places.

“Boneless Chinese Spare Rib Combination” – Self-explanatory. Boneless bite-size pieces of Chinese Spare-Rib seasoned pork served with fried rice & an egg roll. Savory & delicious.

“Shrimp with Lobster Sauce” – a non-extraordinary version, but decently good comfort food.

Place is clean, counter attendants are friendly, prices are more than reasonable, & the quantity & quality of the food are good for what they are – sometimes even better than higher priced fancier dine-in neighbors. It is what it is. They used to only accept cash & checks – no credit cards – but don’t know if that policy is still in effect since we’ve become so used to paying cash there that I keep forgetting to check. They have a number of locationsin Virginia besides Culpeper, but the Culpeper location is the only one we’ve visited.

Worth a visit so long as your expectations are realistic.

buckytom

Grill Master
breezy, do you know what they used to make the mei fun spicy? i wonder if it was hot sesame oil, or was it something in the curry?

i've found the chinese restaurants that actually make dishes spicy that are advertised as such, often with a little chili symbol next to the item on the menu, have better than average food overall.