Great Book Find!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I was in Ollies discount, crap & junk store (more crap & junk than good stuff), and came across [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Williams-Sonoma-Essentials-Baking-Cathy-Burgett/dp/0848727797"]Essentials of Baking by Willams-Sonoma[/ame] for $9.99. This highly illustrated hard-backed volume retails for $34.95, and after looking through it, I would gladly pay full price to get this much information about baking. It covers equipment, ingredients, measuring & weighing and basic techniques in the introduction, and the main body of the book includes Yeast, Flat & Quick Breads, Cookies, Pies& Tarts, Cakes, Pastries, Custards & Souffles, Sauces, Toppings and Fillings. Each section is described in detail and sufficiently illustrated to remove any doubt about what the final product should look like, or how critical methods should be performed. The recipe ingredients are spelled out in volume, as well as weight in both Imperial & metric.

Even if you are not a serious baker, there are enough recipes in this book to WOW your friends and family, and once you see the methods used, you'll find that many of them are really quite simple. This would also make a useful gift for newlyweds or someone moving out on their own for the first time.

If you have an Ollies nearby, check to see if they have it in their huge book section.

P1020270.jpg

P1020271.jpg

P1020273.jpg

Last edited:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
As far as I know we don't have an Ollies around here, bummer as I would love to have that book!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
You really struck gold there Joe! Nice find! I've never heard of Ollies...what is that...like a Big Lots?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Hey, Mav! Maybe Joe will be your Secret Santa!

Lee
Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't do the sectret Santa thingy. I would be happy to pick up one for you and ship it to you via USPS Media Mail, which is about $4 to Cicero. The book weighs 3.7# plus the cardboard wrapper, which I figure is about 4# total. They claim it gets there in 5 days. The book costs me $10.65 incl. tax. Let me know via PM if you want me to do that for you. I will do the same for anyone else who would like one. Just check the USPS caluclator and select Package for the media Mail rate shipping from 44060 to your location. As of today, there were quite a few of these in the store, so PM your addy and I'll get it out to you this week. I will advise the total price when I take them to the PO, and PM the cost. You can then send me a check. This offer is only for members with at least 100 posts. Others need not apply.

Yeah, Mama, it's a closeout joint, but they get some good stuff every now and then.

http://www.olliesbargainoutlet.com/