What's On The Plates Mates Sunday September 30- Saturday October 6?

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
Personally, I would never buy ones that big. They tend to get tough when they are that size. When we caught ones that big, even from deep water, we always used them for lobster salad or in some other type of dish, never just to eat on their own like Dan did. I'm 5'2" and the biggest we ever caught was end of tail at my shoulder/arm joint to nose tip at my fingertips. That one got used for a huge batch of lobster salad.

Stone crab claws are the same way. The bigger they are, the more shell weight you are paying for and the meat is not as tender. Don't ever buy jumbos or extra larges unless you are trying to impress a tourist. Larges are borderline. Mediums are your best buy.

Also, don't ever buy from a road side vendor even if they are advertising a fantastic price. The crab claws and lobster are usually good (the nose knows), but they are selling "lights" that the fisherman needed to get rid of because markets won't buy them. They are animals that are either getting ready to shed or have just shed and the meat is not at it's prime.
I have to agree with you- These were tasty, & filling, but lacked the taste of the medium size. Thank You for posting.:thankyou:

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
The only pot pie I will eat.
Marie Callender's. Beef.
... with the pokey hole ketchup a la Aussie pies n sauce.
They're big, a meal in itself with gorgeous pieces of beef and a great flakey double crust.
Yummo.

View attachment 28674
Marie Callender's pot pies were on sale. I bought a chicken one,
and was pleasantly surprised. Huge pieces of chicken, crust was great.. I'll try the beef one next time.:thankyou: