Do you have a friend or family member who is a back seat driver?

Shermie

Site Supporter
How many of you know someone who is an aggravating & annoying back seat driver? This could be either a friend or a relative.

One of my brothers - him and his wife had moved in with a dear friend of mine. He usually asks me for a ride if he needs to get someplace that it not within walking distance. I've been giving him rides to and from places when he asks me to and I'm not busy.

Well, yesterday was one of the days where he wanted to go to a farmer's market, which had necessitated me giving him a ride there. I kinda regretted doing it afterwards, because he was constantly being a blasted back seat driver!!

While waiting for a red light at an intersection where I was waiting to make a left turn, he told me that I should slowly move out to make the oncoming vehicles stop to let me pass. That was going there. On the way back, he kept complaining about the wheels hitting unavoidable pot holes. Then at the foot of an off ramp, he just kept on harping on the places where there's a yield sign!! I stopped a bit, and he said; "You don't stop at a yield sign. you slow down a bit and then go. Finally, at an intersection, one that I pass through many times, there was a stop sign. I stopped, and then proceeded
slowly with caution. Another lecture from him about the stop sign at intersection. I told him that I know the rules.

By this time, I thought that I just about had enough of him lecturing me about my driving!!!!! Here's a brother who is asking me for rides to places when my friend is not able to do it at times - yet he's complaining about the way that I drive!!! Makes me think that he's looking a gift horse in the mouth!!

I'm going to end up letting him know that he needs to shut up and let ME do the driving when he's in the car!! I don't want to be that harsh, but he's going to have to be told that if he wants a ride with me, that he needs to stop being a back seat driver and let me drive in a way that makes me comfortable!!

Yeah, he began driving & got his license before me, but he hasn't driven a car in a long while, nor does he have his license for personal reasons. Wait until HE starts driving again!! He has to start all over as a beginner when he does begin driving again!! :eating2:

Leni

My husband does that to me whenever I am driving. I just tell him that it is my car and I'm the one who is driving so shut up.

Shermie

Site Supporter
A pretty good way of putting it. Boy, I HATE it when they do that!!

When they get their own car, then they can drive the way that THEY want to!! :angry:

Saliha

My mom is like this when my dad drives. Ok, my dad has a poor vision in one eye (he is 83 years already) but to me when I drive with them it is quite annoying to listen it. :neutral:

Shermie

Site Supporter
The next time that my brother starts lecturing me on how I drive, I will kindly and politely tell him that "I'M the one driving, stop complaining & get your own car!" :angry:

Shermie

Site Supporter
My two grand nephews who stayed with me earlier in the summer, one of them - the 10-year-old who likes to cook - he's is also a bloody back seat driver!!

He accused me of running a red right and a stop sign, which I did not!! He also lectures me about my driving!! Tells me that I'm going too fast, when I'm obeying the speed limit. Or he'll say; "You breaking the law." I kindly asked him to stop lecturing me on my driving.

He wouldn't stop!! Finally, after having had enough of his bossing me around on my driving, I pulled over on the street into a safe place and told him that I've been driving long before he was even THOUGHT OF, much less born, and that if he didn't stop harassing me about my driving, I would be taking away all his toys and put him on punishment!!

He's very observant, but I'm a very safe and careful driver. But he does not even know how to drive, much less has a license!! He only 10 years old, and he has absolutely no business or right telling me how to drive!!!

That is one of my worst pet peeves ever, especially coming from a child who has never driven a motor vehicle before in his life!!! I don't need his lecturing & preaching at me about how to drive!!

Boy!! He made me so bloody mad!! :mad: :mad:

Last edited:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
nobody said 'drive as i say'. they said, 'drive' & i was to steer then & there. so i drove, & i was to learn on my own, & i learned very, very quickly.

Shermie

Site Supporter
nobody said 'drive as i say'. they said, 'drive' & i was to steer then & there. so i drove, & i was to learn on my own, & i learned very, very quickly.

Let my bossy don't-know-how-to-drive-yet grand nephew ride with you. I swear; That you'll probably be tempted to make him get out of the car and walk the rest of the way!!!! I swear: He thinks that he knows all about driving, yet he has yet to even get behind the wheel and physically drive a vehicle!!! Hah!!

Here's a pic of him eating ice cream in his mom's vehicle. :piesmiley1::eating2: :ohmy:

Attachments

• Day-Day enjoying ice cream..jpg
    Day-Day enjoying ice cream..jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I love him very dearly, more than his other two siblings. He is very straight forwarded & outspoken! He is not afraid to say what he thinks or feels!!

I'm just not going to tolerate him harassing me about how I drive. I'm willing to bet that he just won't even THINK about doing that in his mom or dad's car! Hah!! They would get him told quick fast & in a hurry, and he would be too afraid to do it!!

So why did he harass and hen peck at ME?!! Why is he singling ME OUT?!! Maybe because he & his brother never rode in a vehicle that I drove before, until they came up here. I don't know. Maybe it is because I spoil him a lot and secretly go to him & try to get him out of trouble after he has been scolded by his parents. They know that I spoil him a lot. This kid has a hold on my heart & makes me cry for him like you wouldn't believe!! All because he resembles his dear late granddad (one of my brothers)!! Whether or not this has anything to do with his persistent bossing me around on how to drive remains to be seen. We'll see when they come back up next year though! :good:

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yeah, that is what my grand nephew says at times.

Little does he know that he's being ungrateful and that he's being a pest, because he was constantly harassing me and acting like I don't know how to drive!!

I've never had an accident while he and his brother were riding in the car, yet & still, he was on my back constantly. I was too afraid that he would get mad enough to attack me while I was driving!!

When he gets mad, he goes for broke!! Then his strength goes into overdrive and he's ready to fight!! Next year when they come up, I will get him told right off the bat - no more being a back seat driver! :smile:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I had an acquaintance long ago who had a sign attached to his dashboard.

"Those not liking the manner in which this vehicle is operated, please note the mistletoe attached to the driver's coattails."

Shermie

Site Supporter
Or you don't take him anyplace in the car.

Yeah, but most places are not within walking distance, nor are they accessible by public transportation.

And if I did that and left him at the house alone, that would be considered as child abandonment. I wouldn't want that hanging over my head. I'll have to find a better way to deal with his bossy ways in the car.

Any child, regardless of their age, should NOT be back seat driving. I don't care how much they think they might think they know about the rules of the road!! I also think that he looks for excuses to fight & argue. :boxing:

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I had an acquaintance long ago who had a sign attached to his dashboard.

"Those not liking the manner in which this vehicle is operated, please note the mistletoe attached to the driver's coattails."

Thanks, Adillo303!

That's not a bad idea. But since he and his brother are still young children, I'll try to find a milder rule, send it to the label printer and then post it somewhere on the dashboard in plain view so that he & others can see it.

THAT should help stop him from being such a brutal bossy and harassing back seat driver!! I LOVE this kid and his siblings very much, but I want him tostop being so abusive torwards me about my driving! He's also abusing his privilege to ride in the car. I just want him to stop berating me about my driving.:applause:

Last edited: