What brands of Stocks or Broths do you use

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've been using Swanson's boxed low sodium for years but was wondering if there are other good brands available that people recommend over it. I all of their low sodium ones but have been looking for some thing a bit darker/richer with low sodium, no MSG and Organic as possible.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i wouldn't rcommend organic wolfgang puck. it needed wyler's boullion crystals added to it. LARGE amounts. was a large pot of soup, though.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I make my own from time to time but rarely have enough to make a batch when I need one except around the hoiladays. I was looking at trying two different ones the Emeril and Kitchen Basics which was recommended to me by someone in another group some time ago when it first came out. I also came accross another brand called Imagine which is Kosher approved but had more salt than either Swanson's or Kitchen Basics. What I looking for really is one that is a bit richer in both color and taste than the Swanson's but perhaps it doesn't exist except for home made.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I make my own from time to time but rarely have enough to make a batch when I need one except around the hoiladays. I was looking at trying two different ones the Emeril and Kitchen Basics which was recommended to me by someone in another group some time ago when it first came out. I also came accross another brand called Imagine which is Kosher approved but had more salt than either Swanson's or Kitchen Basics. What I looking for really is one that is a bit richer in both color and taste than the Swanson's but perhaps it doesn't exist except for home made.
i was very happy with emeril's chicken around the holidays as it is quite dark and rich.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I use a lot of chicken and beef in my cooking so will try a box of each of the Emeril brand.

chowhound

I've only seen two brands around here, Swanson's or College Inn. I like Swanson's Stock. I think it has a better taste than their broth. And it comes in a cool container (lol).

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes I'm partial to the boxed over the canned. I'm also using boxed wines now for cooking and there are quite a few good ones being made now. They have a lot longer shelf life than the bottled wines.

FryBoy

Swanson's Natural Goodness Chicken Broth. One of four recommended chicken broths in Cook's in a May 2005 review. They didn't particularly like any of the beef broths they tasted in March 2006.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Sorry Doug but though I like Swanson's I don't like most of the recommendations made by Cook's magazine or for that matter most of the mags out there on cooking. I find they tend to lean towards the biggest advertisers over the rest. I might add the the Emeril's and Kitchen Basics didn't exist in 2005 though not sure about KB existing in 2006, Emerils didn't then either.

chowhound

I didn't even know they came this way til I saw RR using a box a year or so ago.
Here's a site I just bumped into looking for a pic. They've got a little review of stocks/broths.
I love these things. They don't take up hardly any room in the fridge. I write the date I opened it with a pen on the front.

Attachments

• product_chickenstock.jpg
    product_chickenstock.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 154

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I usually buy the 32 oz carton as shown below in all of their stocks.

Attachments

• Swansonbeefbroth.jpg
    Swansonbeefbroth.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 137

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
DW sometimes makes broth but mostly it's purchased and I buy store brands as I can't tell the difference from one to another.

joec

Gold Site Supporter

Nope but will look for it next time. I want to try and compare all of these to the Swanson's. I've been using it since that is all my grandmother used ever. The first can versions came out when I was a kid and my grandmother used to spend hours making stock until Swanson's came out. She claimed it was the single best product ever brought out. I kind of took her word for it all of these years. Lately though the Swanson's seems a bit salty to me even their low sodium ones as well as not as rich as they used to be. I will surely give the College Inn a try with the Kitchen Basic and the Emeril brands.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
DW sometimes makes broth but mostly it's purchased and I buy store brands as I can't tell the difference from one to another.

I sure can taste a difference between them but will compare the 3 or 4 brands now with Swanson's to see if there is one I like better. It is the same with mayonnaises with me. I prefer Miracle Whip and can tell the difference between it, regular mayonnaise and Deep South in the first bite. It is funny too since my sense of smell has been gone completely for years but I still have a pretty keen sense of taste.

FryBoy

Sorry Doug but though I like Swanson's I don't like most of the recommendations made by Cook's magazine or for that matter most of the mags out there on cooking. I find they tend to lean towards the biggest advertisers over the rest. I might add the the Emeril's and Kitchen Basics didn't exist in 2005 though not sure about KB existing in 2006, Emerils didn't then either.
I don't agree at all about Cook's. I think they are objective, thorough, and accurate in their assessments.

In any case, here's what Cook's said about Kitchen Basics Natural Chicken Broth in its May 2005 review:

Not Recommended
document%5Cproduct%5CSIL_ChickenBroth_KitchenBasics.jpg
Kitchen Basics Natural Chicken Stock Not one taster believed this brand really was chicken broth. "Medicinal and beefy—are you sure this is chicken?" asked one worried taster. "Tastes like Vegemite tea." Beads of oil floated on top.
Kitchen Basics was not included in Cook's review of beef broths.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Ok I'll mark Kitchen basics off my list to try then. I'm also mostly interested in Beef broth/stock since that is what I use the most off. Oh and I get Cook's magazine as well as Gourmet and bon appetit. I got them for free yearly subscriptions when I purchased my cookware. Some interesting recipes though again some don't seem they would come out correct like there is information missing from them. That by the way be all of them in some cases. Some work perfectly others just seem to be missing ingredients or steps need to make the dishes. The most accurate recipes come from the old Food Network and the Green Network now.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Ok I'll mark Kitchen basics off my list to try then. I'm also mostly interested in Beef broth/stock since that is what I use the most off. Oh and I get Cook's magazine as well as Gourmet and bon appetit. I got them for free yearly subscriptions when I purchased my cookware. Some interesting recipes though again some don't seem they would come out correct like there is information missing from them. That by the way be all of them in some cases. Some work perfectly others just seem to be missing ingredients or steps need to make the dishes. The most accurate recipes come from the old Food Network and the Green Network now.
and the recipes here of course? LOL

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Well that would be tough for me to make since I've not eaten a chicken in over 40 years, hate the stuff but do like the chicken stock for some dishes like rice.

beef bones work really well in the recipe i posted as well...so does lamb