Lee's Pot Roast

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Haven't had a pot roast in ages, but got a good deal on a 3 lb. chuck roast.

We have many delicious recipes for pot roast on this forum - lots with vegetables and herbs and seasonings and other stuff.

I just felt like an easy, plain old pot roast like my family used to make.

No potatoes, carrots, turnips, etc.

Man, I could have eaten the aroma in my house with a spoon!

I served it with brown rice and a GIANT artichoke.

Lee

Lee's Pot Roast

3 lb. chuck roast
2 onions
2 cloves garlic
2 handfuls of dried mushrooms
1/2 cup dry vermouth (or any dry wine)
salt, pepper, a little flour, a little olive oil

Preheat oven to 325 degrees

Put the dried mushrooms in a small bowl, cover with water, microwave on high for 2 minutes. Set aside for a half hour. Then strain through a coffee filter or cheesecloth SAVING the liquid!

Chop garlic and onions. Rub meat with garlic, then season meat with salt and pepper. Lightly dust meat with flour.

Heat a little olive oil in Dutch oven and brown meat on all sides.

Place onions and garlic in the bottom of the Dutch oven, place meat over them, and drained mushrooms on top.

Add vermouth to mushroom liquid and pour over all.

Place lid on Dutch oven and cook for 3 hours, flipping meat once, until a fork slides in and out of the meat as easily as butter.

Attachments

• Pot Roast 1.JPG
    Pot Roast 1.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 143
  • Pot roast 2.JPG
    Pot roast 2.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 145
  • Pot roast 3.JPG
    Pot roast 3.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 148

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Lookin' good :) - that mushroom juice adds a ton of flavor, will have to try it with pot roast.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow! That looks so good. Just finishing eating lunch and now I'm hungry again. LOL

Leni

The best one I've had was the roast with Liptons French Onion soup mix sprinkled over it. So easy and it makes a great gravy. I usually add a little red wine to it.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The best one I've had was the roast with Liptons French Onion soup mix sprinkled over it. So easy and it makes a great gravy. I usually add a little red wine to it.

I grew up with that, Leni, and loved it. I almost did it that way, but was afraid of the salt content.

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the liquer from dried mushrooms is one of the best flavoring doohickies in the world (g)

sometime when you're able to resist . . . let it cool in the pot, refrigerate overnight, slow reheat next day. slow as in lowest flame avail; takes 2 hours or more....
slow reheat - there's only one letter difference between nuking and puking.....

the texture/tenderness goes to 300-400% of previous; and the seasoning is really in it's glory after a good night rest.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I just bought a chuck roast yesterday!

It is in the freezer. I will cook it one Sunday for dinner with all the fixins'.

And maybe make a banana pudding for the desert. :piesmiley1::eating2: