Want to make mocha cookies - need help!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm in the process of deciding what cookies to make for Christmas (I rarely bake anymore).

I love the sound and looks of these Chocolate Crackle Cookies http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/crackle-cookies but I REALLY love the flavor of mocha.

What, and how much of it, should I add to this recipe to make them mocha, but not change the shape and texture of the cookie?

Lee
'
Chocolate Crackle Cookies
Ingredients

• javascript:; 1/2 cup sugar
  • javascript:; 1 egg
  • javascript:; 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
  • javascript:; 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • javascript:; 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • Confectioners' sugar

Directions

1. In a bowl, combine the sugar, egg, oil, chocolate and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Chill dough for at least 2 hours.
  2. With sugared hands, shape dough into 1-in. balls. Roll in confectioners' sugar. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.

Moxie

I would add some instant coffee powder or instant espresso powder. Dissolve it in the only liquid you have - the vanilla then add to the egg, oil, sugar. I wouldn't use a lot because there's not a lot of chocolate in the recipe. Maybe a teaspoon. Two at the most, depending on whether you use coffee or espresso - and how strong you like it.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Moxie, I looked for espresso powder in the coffee aisle at the supermarket yesterday - nope. Where else would I look for it?

I have instant coffee granules. I guess I could grind it.

Thanks for the reply!

Lee

Moxie

Use the instant coffee granules. Just use a little more. You don't have to grind it - it will dissolve in the vanilla and make a paste. Add that to the oil & eggs.

Saliha

Here are some my favourite mocha cookies:

Coffee Bean Cookies

coffee-bean-cookie2.jpg

Before You Get Started Making Coffee Bean Cookies

Measure/Weigh all the ingredients
Remove butter and cream cheese to come to room temperature
Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats
Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F)/190 C

Coffee Bean Cookies Ingredients and Amounts (Yields 50 cookies)

2 tbsp (30g) whole milk - warm
1 tbsp (4g) instant coffee granules (instant coffee powder - grams may vary)
3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter - room temperature
8 oz (226g) cream cheese - softened
1 cup (220g) packed dark brown sugar
1 tsp (4g) vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups (350g) all-purpose flour
3 tbsp (22g) unsweetened cocoa powder

Coffee Bean Cookies Step-By-Step Directions

1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F)

2) In the microwave, warm up the 2 tbsp of milk. Add the instant coffee granules to the warm milk and stir until the granules are dissolved.

3) Place the warm coffee-milk in the freezer to chill.

4) In a bowl, sift together the flour and unsweetened cocoa powder and set aside.

5) In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or mixing bowl if using a handheld mixer), place room temperature butter and cream cheese in the bowl and mix together well on medium speed for 2 minutes.

6) Next, add the dark brown sugar, vanilla extract, and chilled coffee-milk from the freezer into the stand mixer, mix on low for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl if needed.

7) With the stand mixer on low, add the dry ingredients set aside from Step 4, mixing just until the dry ingredients are combined.

8) To roll out the cookie dough, wet your hands and grab a gumball size of dough, shape it into an oval. You will need to re-wet your hands after 3 or 4 cookies.

9) Place the balls about an inch or so apart onto the baking sheet.

10) Once you have your baking sheet filled, take a toothpick and press it along lengthwise on top of each oval ball - this will make your ovals look like coffee beans. You may need to wet the toothpick if it gets sticky.

11) Bake the cookies for 10 minutes, the cookies will be set but still soft to the touch. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes and then place on a cooling rack to cool completely. These cookies are delicious warm, or at room temperature.

Source: http://www.sweetsociety.com/recipe/coffee-bean-cookies-recipe

Mocha Cookies

4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut into bits
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
2 teaspoons vanilla

In a metal bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water melt the unsweetened chocolate, 1 1/2 cups of the chocolate chips, and the butter, stirring until the mixture is smooth, and remove the bowl from the heat. In a small bowl stir together the flour, the baking powder, and the salt. In a bowl beat the eggs with the sugar until the mixture is thick and pale and beat in the espresso powder and the vanilla. Fold the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture, fold in the flour mixture, and stir in the remaining 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips. Let the batter stand for 15 minutes. Drop the batter by heaping tablespoons onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper and bake the cookies in the middle of a preheated 350 F/175 C oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they are puffed and shiny and cracked on top.

Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets, transfer them to racks, and let them cool completely. Makes about 36 cookies.

Source: http://historyofcoffee.wordpress.com/

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great - thank you, Moxie!

Saliha, both of those recipes look wonderful! I will copy and save them!

Thanks!

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I'm in the process of deciding what cookies to make for Christmas (I rarely bake anymore).

I love the sound and looks of these Chocolate Crackle Cookies http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/crackle-cookies but I REALLY love the flavor of mocha.

What, and how much of it, should I add to this recipe to make them mocha, but not change the shape and texture of the cookie?

Lee
'
Chocolate Crackle Cookies
Ingredients

Directions

1. In a bowl, combine the sugar, egg, oil, chocolate and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Chill dough for at least 2 hours.
  2. With sugared hands, shape dough into 1-in. balls. Roll in confectioners' sugar. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.

I love mocha also.

This used to be a popular brand > Medaglia D'oro Coffee - Instant Espresso try looking for it or ask store manager.

Other brands > Cafe Bustelo Espresso Instant Coffee, Ferrara Coffee - Instant Espresso.

Saliha

One more idea for mocha taste cookies:

Cappuccino-Chocolate Bites

mscookies_ld102246_cappcookiem_hd.jpg

Ingredients

• 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon finely ground espresso beans
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
  • 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
  • 2 1/2 ounces milk chocolate, finely chopped
  • Unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
Directions

Whisk flour, espresso, and salt in a bowl. Put butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle, and mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Mix in vanilla. Add flour mixture; mix on medium-low until dough comes together. Shape into a disk, and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/175 C. Let dough stand at room temperature 10 minutes. Roll between sheets of parchment to 1/8 inch thick. Cut out rounds with a 1 1/8-inch cutter; space 1/2 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment. Reroll scraps; cut out. Freeze 10 minutes.

Bake until set but not browned, about 9 minutes. Let cool on sheets 5 minutes. Transfer to wire racks; cool completely.

Bring cream to a simmer. Pour over chocolate; stir until smooth. Press plastic wrap onto surface; refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to overnight. Whisk to soft peaks; transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4-inch plain round tip. Pipe about 1 teaspoon filling on bottoms of half the cookies; sandwich with remaining cookies. Dust with cocoa and confectioners' sugar. Cookies can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 1 day.

Source: http://www.marthastewart.com/333993/cappuccino-chocolate-bites?czone=food/cookies-cnt/everyday-favorites&gallery=274265&slide=333993&center=276956

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
MMMMm! Those look wonderful, too, Saliha!

Thank you!

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Salted Caramel Mocha Cookies

18 large cookies
Ingredients

½ C butter, softened
½ C brown sugar
¼ C sugar
1 egg
1½ tsp vanilla extract
1 C all-purpose flour
¼ C unsweetened baking cocoa
2 tsp instant coffee granules
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
½ C caramel bits
½ C chocolate chips
coarse sea salt

Instructions

- Preheat oven to 350. Line cookie sheets with baking mats or parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or with an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugars. Add in egg and vanilla extract. Beat until creamy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking cocoa, instant coffee granules, baking soda, and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and beat until just combined. Stir in caramel bits and chocolate chips.
- Place by heaping tablespoon full onto prepared cookie sheets. Do not press down. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges set. Middle will look slightly undercooked. Allow to cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

http://www.a-kitchen-addiction.com/salted-caramel-mocha-cookies/