Dill Pickles

Johnny West

I made 6 quarts this morning, four of spears and two of hamburger/sandwich chips. That was 15 large pickle cucumbers.

Adapted from a recipe by Greg Higgins, a Portland, Oregon chef and restauranteur.

Quick and easy.

----------

4 quarts of pickling cucumbers rinsed well
16 large garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
4 heads of fresh pickling dill, halved
about 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
1 quart cider vinegar
1 quart water
1/4 cup pickling spices
1/2 cup pickling salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 cup chopped fresh pickling dill

Wash two half-gallon, 4 quart or 8 pint jars. Keep hot untill needed. Prepare lids as manufacturer directs.

Pack the cucumbers into the jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Divide the sliced pieces of garlic and halved heads of fresh pickling dill among the jars. Add a pinch (about 1/8 of a teaspoon) of the dried red pepper flakes to each jar.

Prepare the brine by combining the vinegar, water, pickling spices, salt, sugar, turmeric and 1 cup of chopped fresh dill in a non-aluminum pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain off the seasonings from the brine and ladle the hot brine into a jar at a time, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Wipe jar rim with a clean, damp cloth. Attach lid. Fill and close remaining jars. Let cool to room temp, then store in the refrigerator. The pickles are ready to use after three or four days of aging, but they will continue to improve further for several weeks. They will keep, refrigerated, for about a year.

Attachments

• #######Dill I.jpg
    #######Dill I.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 679
  • #######Dill II.jpg
    #######Dill II.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 649

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful!

I imagine that they will stay crunchier that way in the fridge, without a water bath?

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Do you ever make half sours? Hard to find good half sours without driving out of my way.

Lee

Johnny West

There are no deli's in my area, but heard of a couple in Seattle. I may have eaten them when I lived in the East but they must not of left an impression on me. I looked up the recipe and will make a batch next year. I've used up my allotted ice box space for now.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Awwwww, man!

I just made a Reuben on my Panini-maker and I would have LOVED to have had a couple of those homemade pickles to go with it!

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I love full sour pickles but can't find them any more. EXCEPT when I drive down south. The 7-11's carry individual full sours in a plastic pouch with the juice. I like to drink the juice. I usually buy one pickle and one of those double hard boiled egg packs. Nice quick snack.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Johnny West - Pickling spices - I'm having trouble finding them. Do you have an online source?

Peeps - Every Saturday - 9 to 2 Pascack Valley Hospital parking lot is the Westwood Farmer's Market. We have a mega great pickle guy. Just by chance (LOL) you will fing Andy (Me) and Maureen hawking their respective wares, plus a bunch of other great stuff.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Johnny West - Pickling spices - I'm having trouble finding them. Do you have an online source?

Peeps - Every Saturday - 9 to 2 Pascack Valley Hospital parking lot is the Westwood Farmer's Market. We have a mega great pickle guy. Just by chance (LOL) you will fing Andy (Me) and Maureen hawking their respective wares, plus a bunch of other great stuff.

You can try the link below (My Spice Sage site) for pickling spices. I have bought from them before and had no problems with my orders. Usually get free shipping and a free 1 oz. sample. https://www.myspicesage.com/pickling-spice-p-197.html

Johnny West

Beautiful! My mouth is watering!

Lee
These will be ready to eat in four days but I wait a week or two. Last year I didn’t make any due to bad hip and covid angst. It was nice to get a batch done and wish I had room for four more quarts.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
These will be ready to eat in four days but I wait a week or two. Last year I didn’t make any due to bad hip and covid angst. It was nice to get a batch done and wish I had room for four more quarts.

Refrigerated?

Lee

Johnny West

My pickle to jar ratio came out perfect except I am out of wide mouth quart jars and had to use some pints. I give folks pickles and never see the jars back. Last night I gave Ann a jar of pickles because I knew she liked them. After I gave them to her she said she was giving them to her daughter who really likes them… pissed me off. Her daughter doesn’t even like me due to our difference in politics. Oh, well.

07DA11DA-AD83-4B61-AC7B-0D1CE908B8CC.jpeg
06100AE6-A9CE-4C69-89D2-FB421067DD73.jpeg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Damn, that's a lot of cukes!

Reminds me to make a dilled cucumber salad with browned butter.

Lee

Johnny West

Damn, that's a lot of cukes!

Reminds me to make a dilled cucumber salad with browned butter.

Lee
It is! As soon as the weather gets cold will move some to the garage. Usually I make 8 quarts. Last year I didn’t make any and the year before only four quarts. They didn’t last long. I’d like to get a two gallon jug and make a batch of whole pickles.

Duris has six bins of cukes of different sizes. They also have five gallon pains and bushel baskets full, as well. The bin pictured is the xtra large which I like.

Johnny West

I made one batch today and am canning four quarts and have a quart of hamburger slices that will go in the refrigerator.

This the feral grape vine I get my leaves from. It’s at the Puyallup Community Garden we used to rent a space from.

094ACC22-76D3-48B1-B2E8-B7296BEE97F9.jpeg
4DAE3E31-EB63-45A3-B627-00DCD22E19ED.jpeg
9C52D87F-A9E9-4436-95D6-B64FF96D2D56.jpeg

Johnny West

I’m beat.. usually I do two batches but would be hard put to do this today.
I have three pickles left and will make another jar of slices tomorrow.

I’ve never water bathed dill pickles before and hope they come out crunchy.
Cukes will be on for awhile so will open a jar next week and see how they
turned out. If they are off I’ll make another batch of refrigerator dills.

763F5565-7529-476A-A0F3-BB3CC51F0BEA.jpeg
04A03BFB-F2C1-4F14-8634-4BDC5A3B4871.jpeg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I’m beat.. usually I do two batches but would be hard put to do this today.
I have three pickles left and will make another jar of slices tomorrow.

I’ve never water bathed dill pickles before and hope they come out crunchy.
Cukes will be on for awhile so will open a jar next week and see how they
turned out. If they are off I’ll make another batch of refrigerator dills.

View attachment 51838View attachment 51839

Lovely job!

Do you get delicious grapes from those vines?

Lee