½ cup flour
4 cups milk
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. grated nutmeg
pepper
5 eggs, well beaten
¼ cup dry bread crumbs
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Sauté beef in oil in a large skillet. When browned, add onions and continue cooking until they are golden. Add tomato paste, wine, parsley, salt, pepper, cinnamon, allspice and garlic. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until sauce is very thick.

Cut eggplants across in 3/4 inch slices. Place on a well-oiled baking sheet and brush both sides of each slice with oil. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, turning once.

Melt butter in a saucepan and blend in flour. Cook 2 minutes and then gradually whisk in milk. Stir over low heat until thickened. Add salt, nutmeg and pepper; blend sauce into beaten eggs.

Arrange half the eggplant slices in a greased 9x13 pan. Combine meat sauce with crumbs and spread half over eggplant. Sprinkle with half the cheese. Cover with another layer of eggplant and remaining meat sauce.

Spoon custard sauce over the top and sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Bake at 450 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes or until custard is set and nicely browned.

Let stand 15 minutes before cutting into squares.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Been ages here too. MIL used to make it, but only once a year. Then we found a Greek restaurant that makes it real good, but that is in Skokie and now that we are in Cicero it is a full 45mins away non rush hour.
DW does have a couple of clients up there, so whenever she goes up to see them she brings it back. Still only a couple of times a year.
Her MIL would never give her the recipe, for anything! But now I have one that I can go with!! Yum Yum!
Thanks for posting it!

PanchoHambre

Yeah haven't had it in a long time either. Most of the Greek diners I loved have gone downhill or gone altogether and I only make it to Astoria infrequently.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Our nearest Greek or Turkish resturants - I would love to go to either - are in London.