Apple Fritter Bread

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's apple season, and I'm visiting two friends in different parts of New England, so made two loaves, one for each friend.

Note: I only used about half of the brown sugar on top, since half a cup sounded way too much. And I omitted the confectioner sugar glaze.

Maybe those omissions made the bread less apple fritter-ish, but geez, that is a lot of sweet in one recipe!

Friend 1 and I tried a slice for breakfast yesterday, and it didn't look at ALL like the photo online! Mine was very dense, very moist, weighed a ton, and had none of the bread-like texture in the photo. It was more like a "gooey cake".

Tasty, but not a bread. I call this a fail.

Don't know what I did wrong. I did notice that when I added the milk to the mixer, it didn't incorporate well, even after mixing awhile. I proceeded anyway.

Hmmph. I rarely eat sweets, so am not a well-practiced baker.

Lee

Lee

Apple Fritter Breadhttps://dinnerthendessert.com/apple-fritter-bread/

.wprm-recipe-rating .wprm-rating-star.wprm-rating-star-full svg *{fill:#ead620}5 from 7 votes

• Yield: 12 servings
  • Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 1 hour
  • Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
  • Course: Dessert
  • Cuisine: American
  • Author: Sabrina Snyder

Apple Fritter Bread is soft and sweet, filled with apples, cinnamon, and brown sugar, baked in 60 minutes then drizzled with glaze.

Ingredients

• 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 cup brown sugar , divided
  • 2 granny smith apples , peeled and chopped
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons water

US Customary - Metric

Instructions

Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x5 loaf pan with baking spray.
  2. In your stand mixer cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 1 minute on medium speed before adding the vanilla, milk and eggs in one at a time.
  3. Add in the flour and baking soda until just combined.
  4. Combine your chopped apples with cinnamon and half the brown sugar in a small bowl then pour half the batter into the loaf pan, add in half the apples evenly over the pan, pour in the remaining batter then place the remaining apples over the batter.
  5. Top with the remaining brown sugar and bake for 55-60 minutes.
  6. Once cooled and removed from the loaf pan whisk together the powdered sugar and water and drizzle the mixture over the loaf.

Attachments

• apple fritter bread 1.JPG
    apple fritter bread 1.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 1,041
  • Apple fritter bread, 2.JPG
    Apple fritter bread, 2.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 1,046

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Could it have been baking POWDER instead of soda? Soda needs an acid to activate and I don't see any.

Edited to add:
That's the problem. I notice she mentions buttermilk in her notes. You have to use either milk and powder or buttermilk and soda. She needs to fix her recipe, as soda and powder are NOT interchangeable in this recipe with no other acid source.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Right you are, Karen!

I just looked up 3 other Apple Fritter Bread recipes: 2 used milk and baking powder, 1 used sour cream and baking soda.

I may make one more loaf next week the correct way, just to see what it's like.

Thank you!

Lee