Garlic and Herb Bread sticks for the Bread Machine

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Nice job Keltin! Glad you liked them! Let me know how they freeze. Did you parbake them or just freeze them?

The original recipe called for 3 teaspoons of garlic but I'm a big fan of garlic too so I upped it to the 3 Tablespoons!

OH???

I double checked it twice, and yeah it said 3 Tbsp! I thought I goofed! You can really taste the garlic, which is FINE with me!!! :clap:

I did not par-bake; I just froze them after the second rise. I'm going to let them sit in the freezer for 2 days or so and then try cooking them. I'll update this thread to let you all know how the freezer to oven process worked. I'm curious myself and have high hopes!!

homecook

Really nice job Keltin!
Not that I'm an expert bread baker or anything but it's been my understanding that you should freeze the dough before the first rise or after. Freezing after the first rise you then refrigerate the dough to thaw it and then let it come to room temp for the second rise and then bake.
I'm anxious to see how the bread sticks will turn out.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Really nice job Keltin!
Not that I'm an expert bread baker or anything but it's been my understanding that you should freeze the dough before the first rise or after. Freezing after the first rise you then refrigerate the dough to thaw it and then let it come to room temp for the second rise and then bake.
I'm anxious to see how the bread sticks will turn out.

NOW you tell me!!!! :pat:

:lol:

Well, let's hope for the best!! We shall see! But I'll keep this info for future reference, thanks! :thumb:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ok, I've got a question. My breadsticks came out a little flat. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but they weren't round like a stick, more of a flat bottom with a domed top. Not as pretty as Barb's, but certainly tasty.

I'm thinking it may be because of the towel I covered them with for the rise? Maybe the towel pushed down on them and didn't let them poof up right? Or maybe they were too crowded on the cookie sheet?

Or……was I supposed to re-form them after the second rise before baking???? :w00t:

I never thought to do that, I just put them in the oven after the rise as-is.

Thoughts?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
My guess...and I'm no baker so this is a guess....maybe use a little more flour...your dough looks pretty sticky...I really need to do a weight measure on the flour. You have to be careful not to over proof them too....that's what I did the second time I made them and they came out kinda flat.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
My guess...and I'm no baker so this is a guess....maybe use a little more flour...your dough looks pretty sticky...I really need to do a weight measure on the flour. You have to be careful not to over proof them too....that's what I did the second time I made them and they came out kinda flat.

Proof? Is that letting them rise the second time? I did let them rise a bit longer than 40 minutes.....more like 65. Oops!

Also, I kinda screwed up and added the 1 Tbsp of melted butter to the mix! :pat:

It wasn't until I read the recipe closer and counted the ingredients that I noticed there were 10 ingredients and you said use only the first 9 meaning the 10th, the melted butter, was to be used after they were baked. :pat::pat:

And yeah, my dough was pretty sticky! I'll try a tad more flour next time, and no melted butter in the mix! :lol:

But, you don't have to reshape them after the second rise right? Just bake them?

Thanks!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Watch that over proofing too. No, you don't want to remove the air from the dough so don't reshape them. You just pop them in the oven after the second rise.

homecook

Ok, I've got a question. My breadsticks came out a little flat. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but they weren't round like a stick, more of a flat bottom with a domed top. Not as pretty as Barb's, but certainly tasty.

I'm thinking it may be because of the towel I covered them with for the rise? Maybe the towel pushed down on them and didn't let them poof up right? Or maybe they were too crowded on the cookie sheet?

Or……was I supposed to re-form them after the second rise before baking???? :w00t:

I never thought to do that, I just put them in the oven after the rise as-is.

Thoughts?

I seriously don't think that was the problem Keltin. Alot of recipes say to cover with a towel. I normally just cover with saran wrap. Or if it's in the bowl I use a grocery bag. Mine were actually pretty close together when baked. I had to cut a few of them apart. lol

Mama may be right in that you over proofed them. It's not an exact science. You just have to watch that they double in size. It depends on the warmth of where ever your letting them rise..... it could be 40 minutes, it could be 50 minutes.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Ok I remember this thread for the garlic, herb pizza dough. You should edit in (to the first post with the recipe) that BEAUTIFUL pic you posted in the baking thread (yesterday?) of the bread sticks for the ziti dinner.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Okay Peepers, I added it. If you decide to make these, don't forget to add your pic!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Mama HELP!! LOL

I don't think I have any garlic powder or fresh basil :sad: I think I used the last of the garlic powder in my AP seasoning blend and the fresh basil was lousy. Can I use fresh grated fine garlic or garlic paste and herb paste?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
You can use dried basil if you have it. Fresh grated garlic should work also. I don't know if herb paste would work...it might turn your bread green. You can use other herbs.

Be sure to check the dough after about 10 minutes to make sure it's not too wet or dry. It shouldn't be sticking to the sides of the pan and it shouldn't be too dry. It should be forming a nice smooth ball.

I thought I had a picture of what it should look like after the first 10 minutes but apparently I was wrong. Here's what it should look like when it's done with the dough cycle. If yours looks wetter than the pic below, knead in a little more flour. The dough should be just slightly sticky.

Attachments

• breadsticks1.jpg
    breadsticks1.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 157

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
You can use dried basil if you have it. Fresh grated garlic should work also. I don't know if herb paste would work...it might turn your bread green. You can use other herbs.

Be sure to check the dough after about 10 minutes to make sure it's not too wet or dry. It shouldn't be sticking to the sides of the pan and it shouldn't be too dry. It should be forming a nice smooth ball.

I thought I had a picture of what it should look like after the first 10 minutes but apparently I was wrong. Here's what it should look like when it's done with the dough cycle. If yours looks wetter than the pic below, knead in a little more flour. The dough should be just slightly sticky.
Thanks mama.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
:applause: They look wonderful Peepers! How did you like them?
Thank you Mama. I was making the sauce at the same time the dough was in the machine and didn't check it after 10 minutes. It was really loose so I had to knead a little flour in by hand because I didn't know if I could start the machine up to give it a quick knead. Next time I will do it in the KA and adjust as I go or if I use the BM - set a timer for 10 minutes or add a couple extra TBSP of flour or a little less water? LOL

Dinner will be in about an hour. I made homemade sauce to go on cheese raviolis served with broccoli and the bread sticks. I'll let you know later, BUT they smell fantastic!! I used 1 TBSP fresh garlic chopped in the mini chopper and 1 TBSP dry garlic plus the fresh basil and cheese (I grated romano and parmesan this morning for dinner and mixed them together so that's what went in).

homecook

Peeps, if you're going to use the KA next time, this is how I did it because I don't have a bread machine. They came out perfect!

Karen, I did use my KA mixer. I probably added 1/4 cup more flour. I just sprinkled it in until the dough left the sides of the bowl. I let it knead for about 5 minutes. I then kneaded it by hand for a couple minutes more until smooth. Like Mama said, it is a soft dough and really easy to work with. The first rise took about 1 hour and the second rise was close to an hour also. Good luck and have fun!!

LOL I can't believe you didn't have at least ONE right out of the oven. They are soooooo good!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Peeps, if you're going to use the KA next time, this is how I did it because I don't have a bread machine. They came out perfect!

LOL I can't believe you didn't have at least ONE right out of the oven. They are soooooo good!
Thanks for the tips Barb.

I had one a short while ago dipped in the homemade sauce. I wanted to test and correct the seasoning so I used a bread stick for testing :yum: BTW nothing needs correcting LOL They taste fantastic!