What's on your Reading list?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Excellent movie, Cooksie - saw it yesterday and loved it.

The book I'm reading now is "All Our Yesterdays", by Robert Parker. Neither a Spenser nor a Sunny Randall, it's about 3 generations of a Boston-Irish family. I'm enjoying it immensely, as I do all Parker's books.

Lee

mhend

I'm going to see it (The Help) with my mom and aunt this week too! Can't wait!

Right now, I'm about half way through Anne Rice's Angel Time, the first in the Songs of the Seraphim series. It's pretty good. She kinda gets back to her old style of writing that she used in the vampire/witch series.

Last edited:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh, I'm so glad Cooksie revived this thread. I love getting recommendations for reading, as I am usually reading three books at any one time: an audio book on my iPod, a book on my Kindle and a regular book (because I can't take my Kindle to bed, 'cause I always fall asleep when I'm reading and drop the book on the floor). The book I like best that I am reading right now is State of Wonder by Ann Patchett. I'm also reading A Dedicated Man by Peter Robinson (English detective novel) and Dismissed with Prejudice by JA Jance (Seattle detective).

Carolina Cooking

I read The Help when it first hit the stores.. Its one of those can't put down page turner. I read it in 2 days. Fantastic read..

I was the same way with the Thorn Birds lol.

I like Robert Parker too.

mhend

I read The Help when it first hit the stores.. Its one of those can't put down page turner. I read it in 2 days. Fantastic read..

I was the same way with the Thorn Birds lol.

I like Robert Parker too.

I'm going to get that book tonight. I'll try to read it before I see the movie this week. Everyone I've talked to about it loved the book too. The Thorn Birds: never read the book, but the movie...Oh my!! I still watch it any time it comes on. Richard Chamberlain..... :)

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my Chef's book is read thru in segments most days.
as for novels, lisa see's 'shangai girls' got placed aside & i would luv 2 read the rest of that.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Just finished “Heaven is for Real” by Todd Burpo. An interesting read.

Just ordered “The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching” from Amazon a few days ago and it should be in tomorrow, so that is next on the list.

cookingirl

Wow! so many good books out there..I have a kindle now and I am becoming addicted to it..
A few, that I like:
Sarah's Key--awesome
Cutting for Stone--thick book, don't let the medicine turn you off- an awesome story
In the Company of Witches--will turn out to be the next Twilight series--but better--more adult...loved it
A Stolen Life---Jaycee Dugar--disturbing, thought provoking..true
Heaven is for Real--raises lots of questions
any Jodi Picoult book
Shanghai Girls
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan----awesome
Caleb's Crossing---finished it this AM--different
The Help--will not see the movie--want a sequel book--has to happen..
Hotel at the Corner of Bittersweet
The Postmistress

just a few off the top of my head--these are the most recent ones, expect of Sarah's Key--everyone who has read it, raves about it..
I could think of a few more, if you would like!!
I enjoy a lot of 'period' books and in different cultures--I do learn a lot that way..
I read on my commute--my was of distancing myself from things---
enjoy!!:encore:

lilylove

Hotel at the corner of Bittersweet was a great book.

Right now I"m reading
Broadmoor Revealed ( free from Kindle...about the pt.s at Broadmoor hospital)
Roseflower creek ( by Jackie Lee Miles)
and
rereading The Poisonwood Bible.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Cookingirl, we read many of the same books. I loved Cutting for Stone. One of the best I've read in a long time.

QSis - I am also a big Robert Parker fan. I haven't read his last book yet. I guess I'm putting it off so I won't have to say "goodbye".

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Are you guys reading more than one book at a time???? I never could do that, but my Mom, a veritable speed reader, can. Does it all the time. I bought her the biggest Daniel Steele book I could find one christmas, 600 or 700 pages, and she had it finished in two days flat. I didn't believe it, so I opened the book randomly and quizzed her on it, and she nailed it! Unreal.

lilylove

Keltin, I always read more than one book at a time. I leave them all over the house so there's one handy when ever I need it.

OH, and add THE FLAVOR BIBLE to the list. It came from Amazon today.
I've only read the first few pages so far but, it seems pretty great.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Slowly getting through this one.
He's hilarious and this is the book for any Aerosmith fan!

Styeven-Tyler-Book.jpg

Also working on Atlas Shrugged (again) just to go back and highlight the things I'd missed before. :D

cookingirl

I only read one book at a time. I get too confused otherwise!!!:wink:
I read mostly on my commute home--about an hour, sometimes a little in the morning ride...and about 1-2 hours one night a week...

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Me to cookinggirl. One book at a time. It works for me. :thumb:

Anyone ever read "Yes I Can"? The Sammy Davis Jr. autobiography? I read it a long long time ago but thought it was an awesome book.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I've not read that one Doc, and I do prefer autobiographies much to anything else.
Maybe I'll look for it at the library.

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
Reading "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" again, love it.

Mudbound, a good read, if you liked The Help you may like this one as well.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mexico Karen - I heard that Robert Parker's family has approved a writer to continue on with the Spenser novels. I hope so!

I only read one paper book at a time, but I listen to audio books in my car. I borrow them from the library. Great for long drives, but I also listen to them on my way to and from work. Since I only live a mile and a half away from work, it takes awhile to get through one. :)

Lee

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
QSis said:
I heard that Robert Parker's family has approved a writer to continue on with the Spenser novels. I hope so!

Oh, I hope so, too! I miss Spenser and Susan and Hawk - I wonder what they've been up to!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I just ordered Michael Palmer's newest book, A Heartbeat Away for my Kindle, and I had it in just a few seconds! I know I get a little carried away about this (please forgive me), but does anyone realize how difficult it would be for me to find this book (in English) here in Mexico? We used to have an English language bookstore in Puerto Vallarta, but it closed a couple of years ago...I do love my Kindle!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Picked up The Help today and will start it tonight

I really enjoyed this book. Like CC said, it's a page-turner. It's not just about the relationships between The Help and their employers. It's about all kinds of relationships--mothers and daughters, long time friends who grew up together and returned to live in the same town, husbands and wives, etc. Gotta love Aibilene, gotta admire the spunk of Minny and Skeeter, and gotta want to slap Hilly :lol:.

cookingirl

Abilene! the star!!!! I absolutely loved her character..I am usually disappointed when I see the movie, after I read a book. I have decided not to see this movie, maybe when it comes on cable!! I have my own, 'cast' in my mind!!
loved the book!! one of my favorites!! I want more from A-Be-line!!! ( said in Hilly's voice)