Cinco de Mayo

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
CELEBRATE TONIGHT at your favorite Mexican Restaurant!

Cinco de Mayo
(Spanish for "5th of May") is primarily a regional and not an obligatory federal holiday in Mexico. The holiday commemorates an initial victory of Mexican forces led by General Ignacio Zaragoza Sequin over French forces in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. The date is observed in the United States and other locations around the world as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride.

n the United States, Cinco de Mayo has taken on a significance beyond that in Mexico. The date is perhaps best recognized in the United States as a date to celebrate the culture and experiences of Americans of Mexican ancestry, much as St Patricks Day, Oktoberfest, and the Chinese New Year are used to celebrate those of Irish, German, and Chinese ancestry, respectively. Similar to those holidays, Cinco de Mayo is observed by many Americans regardless of ethnic origin.

Commercial interests in the United States have capitalized on the celebration, advertising Mexican products and services, with an emphasis on beverages, foods, and music.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
How was the meal last night?

You did go to a Mexican Restaurant, didn't you?

We had :chicken: fajitas and some :beer:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds good Jim.
Nope, we did not celebrate Cinco de mayo. I had the satellite guy out to repair the damage that the time warner installer did to my Direct TV satellite cable. The time warner installer drilled right through the friggin cable and never said a word about it. I thought he seemed to be in a hurry to leave. I should have known something was up. I just thought he was trying to get out of hooking up my computers to the internet. Little did I know he sabotaged my Direct TV setup. I could no longer record one show and watch another. The Direct TV guy just shook his head, and fixed it for me. :D
Oh yeah, so we had leftovers, but not just any left overs .....BBQ ribs and German potato salad. ummmm good.