What's Cooking Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Don't know yet. But, we did leftovers last night (lazy night) so I might...yes, I just might, FINALLY get to those chicken wings tonight! :yum:

How about you?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I have two nice sized pork steaks thawing, and am going to follow Qsis/Lee's recipe for the oven bbq'd ones -, only I'm going to twist it and use yellow onion and Heinz 57 steak sauce. Been wanting to try it that way for a while now.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I have two nice sized pork steaks thawing, and am going to follow Qsis/Lee's recipe for the oven bbq'd ones -, only I'm going to twist it and use yellow onion and Heinz 57 steak sauce. Been wanting to try it that way for a while now.
yummmmmmmmmmmm that sounds good!!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I have b/s chicken breast, broccoli, carrots and leeks not sure how i will put that together.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm going to stuff a large portobello mushroom and put together some kind of salad....going meatless tonight for me. Hubby is having a ribeye :glare:.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Lamb TENDERLOINS? Where do you get those? I've never seen them! Sounds incredible. How are you gonna cook them?

Got them at Fresh Market. It's a chain, but not a real big one. They're based out of Charlotte, NC, and they have stores all over the southeast, including one in your city.

I like to think Fresh Market is like the perimeter of a grocery store. They have all the sections that are usually around the outside - produce, seafood, cheese, dairy, meat, bakery, wine - but very little in terms of the aisles in the middle. What is in the aisles is hard to find specialty and organic brands.

I got the little tenderloins only once before. They are small, 2 per person. I just seared them up whole and sliced and served them medium rare. Deglazed the pan with some wine, lemon and fresh rosemary. Kept it real simple. They were outstanding!! Sort of like lamb filet mignons, but shaped like a little tenderloin.

I'll probably do it just as simply tonight, that thing about gilding a lily.....

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Got them at Fresh Market. It's a chain, but not a real big one. They're based out of Charlotte, NC, and they have stores all over the southeast, including one in your city.

I like to think Fresh Market is like the perimeter of a grocery store. They have all the sections that are usually around the outside - produce, seafood, cheese, dairy, meat, bakery, wine - but very little in terms of the aisles in the middle. What is in the aisles is hard to find specialty and organic brands.

I got the little tenderloins only once before. They are small, 2 per person. I just seared them up whole and sliced and served them medium rare. Deglazed the pan with some wine, lemon and fresh rosemary. Kept it real simple. They were outstanding!! Sort of like lamb filet mignons, but shaped like a little tenderloin.

I'll probably do it just as simply tonight, that thing about gilding a lily.....
what time is supper?

suziquzie

we've been lightening up here quite a bit.... making breakfast or lunch our main meal and a small dinner... DH has a new job and going to bed at 8pm on a stuffed full belly is not good for an aging big dude that gets up at 2am and gets home at 6pm.

I'm grilling some chicken breast to put over a veggie salad.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
there's a plethora of shredded/seasoned poached chix we dined on last nite in the form of tacos.
tonite is nachos, the chix meat, cheddar-jack &/or sharp cheddar, diced tomato, thinly-slivered iceberg lettuce, a sour creme sauce, guacamole, refrieds. roasted corn/roasted red pepper dices. a few drinks for me.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Pork steak (semi-smothered) in onions and Heinz 57, baked for an hour at 350, and mac and cheese made with a simple roux+ whole milk and sharp cheddar.

2010-05-18 17-26-17.449.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

Sounds great!

Gilding the lily.....a classic and one worthy of ponder. Do you take gilding the lily to refer to the article or the person? As with the lamb tenderloin, would the phrase refer to the perfection of the tenderloin (a more passive meaning for the phrase), or would it imply the chef hasn't the common sense to see the perfection and will move on to destroy it with undo additions (a more active meaning to the phrase).

One way speaks of the article's perfection, the other speaks of the beholder's inability to see the perfection.

Uh.......whiskey please.....make it a double! :yum: :alc:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
EVOO heated in pan then ground red pepper flakes, ground peppercorns, sea salt and sesame seeds were added to the oil and cooked for 1 minute. Fresh minced garlic added and sauted for 1 minute. Sliced boneless/skinless chicken breast added and cooked till no longer pink. Button mushrooms quartered, carrot sticks, broccoli spears and leak strips added and cooked till tender firm. Served with brown rice (that was cooked with just water and salt) that was as creamy as risotto.

chicken_veggies_brown_rice_051810_P1050613.JPG

Last edited:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
One way speaks of the article's perfection, the other speaks of the beholder's inability to see the perfection.

Uh.......whiskey please.....make it a double! :yum: :alc:

Smart arse!

I made the light reduction sauce. White wine, lemon, rosemary, just a bit of garlic. It was very good - but completely unnecessary. The lamb was butter-soft and sweet. It was perfect ! I served the sauce on the side, but we didn't use much of it. The meat didn't need moistening, and certainly didn't need any additional flavor.

In the one photo, I put my hand alongside the plate so you could get an idea of the size.

Attachments

• lamb tenderloin 003.jpg
    lamb tenderloin 003.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 95
  • lamb tenderloin 005.jpg
    lamb tenderloin 005.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 96
  • lamb tenderloin 007.jpg
    lamb tenderloin 007.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 104
  • lamb tenderloin 008.jpg
    lamb tenderloin 008.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 95
  • lamb tenderloin 011.jpg
    lamb tenderloin 011.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 110

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Smart arse!

I made the light reduction sauce. White wine, lemon, rosemary, just a bit of garlic. It was very good - but completely unnecessary. The lamb was butter-soft and sweet. It was perfect ! I served the sauce on the side, but we didn't use much of it. The meat didn't need moistening, and certainly didn't need any additional flavor.

In the one photo, I put my hand alongside the plate so you could get an idea of the size.
oh lord that looks soooooooooo good!! I didn't have any tomatoes today and now I want some yummy!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Smart arse!

Actually, for once, I wasn't trying to be smart, but philosophical. :doh:

29q1mhz.jpg

But............WOW, those tenderloins look to die for! I'm wondering why we don't see them more often. Where are they going? To restaurants? Surely not ground up! I'm on a quest to find some. DW just saw your pics, and while she is not a fan of lamb, she said she would definitely try those!! Woo-hoo!! :clap:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Actually, for once, I wasn't trying to be smart, but philosophical. :doh:

:yankchain:
I caught it. :thumb:

But I've found that philosophical works best late at night after an adult beverage. Me - I just finished washing the dishes. I'm not there! :beer:

By the way, many folks say they don't like cooking lamb because of the smell. But it's the fat (and the fell) that smell when they cook. THere is no fat on the tenderloins, ust a tiny bit of silverskin on one end that comes off easily. So you don't get that objectionable odor lingering.

Try Fresh Market - Google it for the address.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Man those Lamb tenderloins look awesome!!!

We had a spiral cut ham. I glazed it with fruit juice mixed with the spice pack it came with (bunch of spices and brown sugar). Turned out real good according to the family, but a bit too salty for my taste as usual (which is why I used the fruit juice instead of water in the mix, trying to balance out the salt with sweet).
We only picked it up cause it was 50% off (just under $12 for 9lb) and couldn't pass that deal up. Otherwise we would only get em during the holiday season. No pics, sorry.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I call this “Chick & Chips”. Wings fried then coated in sauce which is set for 5 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Buffalo Sauce (1/2 Franks + 1/2 Butter) on half and BBQ on the other. Served with homemade fries (parboiled potatoes, cooled, then fried to make then crisp and crunchy). Had a salad on the side.

Step1-45.jpg

Step2-39.jpg

Step3-34.jpg

Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I call this “Chick & Chips”. Wings fried then coated in sauce which is set for 5 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Buffalo Sauce (1/2 Franks + 1/2 Butter) on half and BBQ on the other. Served with homemade fries (parboiled potatoes, cooled, then fried to make then crisp and crunchy). Had a salad on the side.

Step1-45.jpg

Step2-39.jpg

Step3-34.jpg
:shock::shock::thumb:

buckytom

Grill Master
1 order of guilded lillies and a chick and chips, please!!!

man, you guys are killing me this morning.

last night we had excellent take out from a malaysian restaurant. chicken satay, roti with dipping sauce, pad thai noodles, and beef ayam rendang - sort of a thick thai beef stew, and brown and jasmine rice.

awesome stuff.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
That's interesting on the lamb tenderloins, SS. I've never seen them.

Here's my stuffed portobello mushroom:

IMG_1978.jpg

And hubby's ribeye:

IMG_1970.jpg