One VERY mean looking fish Found!

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
With its razor- sharp teeth, the fish known as the giant snakehead terrorises the warm waters of south-east Asia.

Which is why an angler was particularly startled to hook a 2ft specimen from a river in Lincolnshire.

Andrew Alder caught the snakehead using a sprat for bait while fishing for pike in the River Witham near North Hykeham. Scroll down for more ...
snakehead_468x278.jpg
Known as the 'gangster' of the fish world, a snakehead was caught in Lincolnshire

He took photographs of his catch and handed them over to experts who confirmed it was the deadly predator.

So devastating is the damage a giant snakehead can wreak on other fish, frogs and their natural habitat that it is on a list of species which cannot be imported into the UK.

Mr Alder, from Lincoln, said his catch had a mouth full of razor-sharp teeth and looked absolutely terrifying.

It is thought that the fish was smuggled in for a private aquarium and then illegally released into the wild when it became too much of a nuisance.

The presence of even one of the species in British waters is a nightmare for environmentalists and conservationists.

Giant snakeheads caused chaos to indigenous fish and the environment when they were found living in rivers and lakes in the U.S. in 2002.
Snipers with high-powered rifles even set up watch to shoot the fish as they crawled ashore and entire lakes were poisoned to get rid of them. Scroll down for more ...
fishgpxDM1902_468x937.jpg

A spokesman for the Environment Agency said: "The giant snakehead is not native to the UK and the coolness of our waters mean they are unlikely to survive for any length of time in this country.

"However, they could still pose a danger to habitat and other fish and we would like to remind people that the dumping of fish in waters is illegal in this country and should not be carried out under any circumstances.
"Not only that, but dumping of non-native fish can cause severe damage to indigenous species and their natural environment."

Ben Weir, of the Anglers Mail, said: "In all my time of working within fishing I have never heard so many concerned voices." Luckily Mr Alder realised the potential damage the snakehead could cause and did not throw it back. It later died and he disposed of it.

chowhound

I just watched a one hour show on NatGeo on this fish earlier tonight. They're here. And it appears they aren't going away anytime soon, even with all the measures in place of wiping out whole ponds to kill them. They are migrating like hell and the "fish people" are even keeping track of their DNA.
It also adds to the problem, that even though they are banned as an aquarium fish now, Asian people are still illegally obtaining them as a food source and for medicinal rituals. If they aren't eaten, they are released to live in another ritual. The show almost seemed like a war on drugs kind of show with police busting Asian food stores illegally selling the fish that are being smuggled here.

This problem is not going to go away like the zebra mussels did.

AllenOK

This problem is not going to go away like the zebra mussels did.

Who said the zebra mussel problem is going away?!?!?!?!

The lake whose dam I was going fishing at all last summer is really infested with those things. ODWC is starting a massive campaign to keep the spread of zebra mussels contained (except the natural downstream movement in rivers and impoundments). I don't think it will have any success, as you'd basically have to stop all fishing tournaments that go from lake to lake.

I have heard that having a zebra mussel infestation actually does have a good side-effect: gin-clear water (they're filter-feeders), and excellent smallmouth fishing (apparently the smallies feed on the mussels). I do know that smaller blue catfish will benefit, as they eat mussels. However, the larger blue cats will suffer, as they mainly eat shad, and the zebras will be competeing with the shad for plankton.

chowhound

Zebra mussels weren't nearly the scare they thought they would be in my little part of Lake Erie. And yes, they actually cleaned it up some before they started dying off.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I think FLA has a catfish that can do that, too.

Yes but they are not naturally found in Florida but have taken hold on it. The same for Lilly pads when one plant was brought to south Florida in the 1930's and not clog canals and river though the southern states. Stuff like this can really raise hell with the indigenous animals and plants in any area.