Vegetable Spring Rolls w/Peanut Dipping Sauce

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
2 oz cellophane noodles (From a 16 oz package)
2 cups boiling water
8 (8 inch) round rice-paper sheets
2 cucumbers, peeled, halved, seeded, and cut into matchstick strips
2 carrots, shredded
8 scallions (light green parts only), cut into long, thin strips
1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves

dipping sauce:

1/4 cup + 2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp finely chopped unsalted roasted peanuts
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt

Combine the noodles and boiling water in a medium bowl; soak noodles for 12 minutes, then drain and pat dry with paper towels.

Half fill a large skillet with warm water. Soak 1 rice-paper round in the water just until pliable (30-45 seconds). Pat with a paper towel to remove excess water.

Place 1/8 of the noodles on the bottom third of the rice paper; top with 1/8 each of the cucumber, carrots, and scallions and 1 tbsp of the cilantro.

Tightly roll just enough of the rice paper around the filling to cover it.

Place 1 tbsp of the parsley in a single row along the roll and continue rolling to from a neat cylinder.

Place a roll, seam side down, on a plate and cover with a damp paper towel.

REPEAT steps 2 - 6 with the remaining rice paper rounds, noodles, vegetables, cilantro, and parsley to make 8 rolls in all.

With a serrated knife, slice each roll on the diagonal into 3 pieces.

dipping sauce:
1. Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl.

Serve rolls with the sauce

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Bam, have you ever tried replacing some or all of the chopped peanuts with peanut butter?

never really thought of it with this recipe

i have other not so good for you recipes like this one that i do half peanuts, half peanut butter

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
If you run the peanuts thru a FP first, you get a peanut butter like consistency without having to use a pre-made peanut butter. I was assuming you wanted that creamier consistency in the dipping sauce?
These sound very similar to the ones we had in a French Vietnamese restaurant here in Chicago. Great tasting, but I ease up on the cilantro a bit, just a taste thing for me.
Thanks!