Mexican Lasagna

KKsMom

Blond Member
You really should try this recipe. I made it yesterday and it really is delicious!!

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Servings: 12

Ingredients:
1 pound lean ground beef
1 packet (1.25 oz) taco seasoning
1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles
1 cup chopped onion (I only used about 1/2 cup and it tasted fine)
1 container (16 oz.) ricotta cheese
2 eggs lightly beaten
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I used 1/4 cup and it was waaay to much)
1 tablespoon mexican seasoning
1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
1 jar (16 oz.) chunky salsa
1 box (16 oz.) curly lasagna noodles, cooked accoring to package directions (you will NOT need the entire box, I only used around 9 noodles)
3 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese

1. In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground beef, stirring often. Drain fat. Add 3/4 cup water, taco seasoning, green chiles and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

2. In a medium bowl, stir together ricotta cheese, eggs, cilantro and Mexican seasoning. In a second medium bowl, stir together tomatoes and salsa. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a deep 13x9 baking dish, spread 1/4 of sauce on bottom of dish. Add a layer of lasagna noodles. Top with one half of cheese mixture, one half of beef and one cup shredded cheese, one quater sauce and another layer of noodles. Repeat layers with remaining ingredients. Top final layer with just noodles, sauce and cheese.

3. Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes prior to serving.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So it came out good. :thumb:
Glad to hear it. We'll have to give it a try.

KKsMom

Blond Member
I especially like the fresh cilantro in there! I LOVE cilantro!
How spicy was it?:bounce:
I am also a LOVER or cilantro, but 1/4 cup really was too much. It was not spicy at all. The green chiles added a little kick but it was not spicy by any stretch of the imagination.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Speaking of rotel, it is great when mixed with velveta cheese. Melt it all together in a microwave and get out the mexican salsa chips. ummmm

I think the recipe is right on the can of rotel.

KKsMom

Blond Member
LOL in reading the recipe again, I just realized that I used the wrong pasta... I used traditional lasagne noodles :bonk: it was still good though. I am going to have to make this again soon, it has been almost a year since I last made it.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Rotel is good stuff. They have recipes on their web site and texmex.net has a section dedicated to rotel recipes.

It sure is Jim!
I make a dip with it using velveeta AND cream cheese, black beans and veggie burger crumbles.
We call it Fandango around here. :)

Blondie, what a nice twist on lasagna! :a1: