Split Pea Soup

FryBoy

I'm getting over a cold or something that I caught from DW, so I'm not terribly hungry. To make matters worse, I broke a tooth several days ago, had root canal, and now have a temporary cap on it, and so I can't really eat anything hard or stringy (even chicken gets caught in it).

So, for dinner tonight I made our favorite pea soup, which appears below. The recipe is also attached in a printable format.

Note that this soup can be vegetarian if you omit the ham hocks (which I did this time on account of my tooth), or vegan if you also substitute a little more olive oil for the butter. It's great either way.

Split Pea Soup

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
2 celery stalks, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
10 cups chicken stock, water, or combination
2 smoked ham hocks or 1 ham bone (optional)
2 medium potatoes, diced
1 bay leaf
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 pound dried green or yellow split peas
fresh ground pepper to taste
salt to taste

1. In a 6½- to 8-quart stockpot, melt butter in olive oil; add carrots, celery and onion and saute over medium heat until softened.

2. Add garlic and cumin and cook for one minute more.

3. Add the stock and/or water, ham hocks or ham bone (if using), potatoes, bay leaf, thyme, and soy sauce, and turn heat to high.

4. Rinse peas and pick them over to remove any foreign matter, then add to pot. Bring to boil, lower heat to simmer, and continue cooking, partially covered, until the peas are very tender and falling apart, about 90 minutes.

5. Remove the bay leaf and discard; remove ham hocks or ham bone, shred any meat, discarding any gristle or fat, and set aside.

6. If desired, puree the soup in a food processor, food mill, or blender, or with an immersion blender (note: if soup is cooked long enough, this may not be necessary).

7. Return shredded ham to pot; add salt and pepper to taste; serve hot (note: pea soup is often better the next day).

Serves 6 to 8.

Attachments

• Split Pea Soup.pdf
    26.2 KB · Views: 404

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
mmmmm I love the idea of adding a touch of cumin and soy sauce, Doug!

Very creative! They will make one of my all-time favorite soups even more savory, more "umami"?

Thanks!

Lee

FryBoy

mmmmm I love the idea of adding a touch of cumin and soy sauce, Doug!

Very creative! They will make one of my all-time favorite soups even more savory, more "umami"?

Thanks!

Lee
I agree. I got the idea of adding cumin and soy sauce from one of my favorite vegetarian cookbooks, but this version is based on one from a cookbook of very hearty recipes, with those and a few other changes.

Came out great!

suziquzie

ok... I have a pea soup question..... doesnt it get all slimy and greasy sticking the bone in there at the same time as the peas, and not skimming the broth first?

I've never noticed it greasy before I'm probably just making it up in my head. :D
I do want to make this tonight.

homecook

I've never noticed that Suzi and I always cook the ham bone with the peas together.

It's all in your head. LOL

Here's my version of this terrific cold-weather favorite:

BREEZY GREEN SPLIT-PEA SOUP

One 1-pound bag of dried split green peas
Extra-Virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, peeled & chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, peeled & chopped
1 smoked turkey thigh or drumstick**
Two 32-ounce cartons chicken stock
1-2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
Salt & freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Chopped parsley for garnish (optional)

Rinse the peas in a colander or strainer to remove dust, & sort through to remove any non-pea debris.

Heat a large heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium high heat. Add a few dollops of olive oil & add onion, garlic, celery & carrots. Saute until starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Add stock, smoked turkey thigh or drumstick, & peas. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer, and cook, partially covered, until peas are tender, 45 to 60 minutes. Remove turkey from pot and remove meat from the bone. Finely shred meat and put back into the pot. Stir in sage, lemon zest and cayenne and cook for another 5 minutes. Taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and freshly-ground black pepper.

Ladle into serving bowls, garnish with chopped parsley, if desired, and serve.

**Sometimes I’ll sub in a package of turkey kielbasa for the turkey thigh/drumstick. In that case, slice the kielbasa into bite-size pieces & just add it at the stage where you’d normally add the shredded turkey meat back into the pot. It doesn’t require or benefit from a long cooking period.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's not at all slimy, Suzi. If you have any leftover soup, it will congeal into a solid, but will liquify again when you reheat.

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I finally got around to making Fry Boy's pea soup. It's just the way I always make it, but with the addition of a little cumin and a little soy sauce.

Absolutely THE BEST I've ever made! Of course, I had a ton of ham to put in there, too! :brows:

Lee

Attachments

• Fryboy's pea soup.JPG
    Fryboy's pea soup.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 161

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Fran made some a couple days ago. I had double smoked a ham last week and she added some of that. Then (for my taste) I threw in a little bacon salt.

Oh my. I now have a bunch in the freezer for future lunches.