bacon fat

Elaine l

After reading many posts on the forum...a forum...I started saving bacon fat. It's in the fridge. So my question is, how long can I keep it? And what do I do with it?

lilylove

Not sure how long it will keep but....

I use it too...

fry venison
fry eggs
cook fresh green beans

Elaine l

that would have been a better idea Suzie...too bad I didn't think of it. It's been in the fridge for a few weeks. Maybe I should toss it.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
It's great for seasoning any kind of beans, greens, broccoli, corn...

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
If it's only been a couple of weeks, and you kept it in the fridge it should be just fine.

Calicolady

I keep some in both freezer and fridge in jars. I've never had a problem with either for years, but once I use it, I trash it/don't reuse it.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
After reading many posts on the forum...a forum...I started saving bacon fat. It's in the fridge. So my question is, how long can I keep it? And what do I do with it?

I moved into this house 15 years ago. The bacon fat tupperware moved in with me.:shock: I just keep refilling it as needed.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I never save bacon fat but if I happen to make some (which I do once in a blue moon), I will fry my sunny side up eggs in it and slide them on lightly buttered toast and put the bacon on the side. MMMBreakfast.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I keep it handy, I use it to flavor canned beans, fry egss, pancakes, french toast, add to green beans, man, the uses are endless!!! Baste the top of biscuits before baking, OH and I use it to pop popcorn.... oh hell yea!!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Add it to beans, especially baked beans. Also, add to meatloaf mixture. Saute onions and mushrooms in it for use in other dishes. Add a bit to your oil when making a roux. Brown skin-on chicken in it prior to baking. Make "Shake-N-Bake" potatoes with it. Tons of stuff to do. :thumb:

buckytom

Grill Master
things will spoil only if there's available moisture for bacteria to grow. bacon grease has very little or none, so it will last a very long time.

i keep mine in a heavy glass jar (an old jelly jar) with a tight fitting lid in the back of the fridge. it will pick up refrigerator "flavors", so that's why i keep it sealed.

chowhound

I'm in the small tupperware container/freezer crowd. It can be pretty hard to scoop out though, getting only shavings. I suppose it could be nuked and refrozen.... ?

Abby

More coffee please
Super Site Supporter
I always keep my bacon grease, that stuff is gold in my house! Like all of the other posters on here, use in green beans, baked beans, fry eggs, potatoes, spinach...the list is endless. I keep mine is an old jelly jar and keep it in the frig. I've never tried freezing it because it just doesn't last that long in my house!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I don't freeze it either but keep in a 1 qt bell jar in the refrigerator the same as Ghee (clarified butter) both will keep for up to a year without any problem in that manner. Neither though last in my house that long either.. I also keep a package of lard which is really the same thing for seasoning cast iron pans, steel woks etc.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Just like I rarely use schmaltz anymore, I almost always toss my bacon grease. I never gave it any thought, either. It really is true we tend to do what our mamas did if they were good cooks.

AllenOK

things will spoil only if there's available moisture for bacteria to grow. bacon grease has very little or none, so it will last a very long time.

i keep mine in a heavy glass jar (an old jelly jar) with a tight fitting lid in the back of the fridge. it will pick up refrigerator "flavors", so that's why i keep it sealed.

LOL. I was being facetious. Bacon fat gets used here LONG before it has a chance to go rancid.