oXTAILS ARE IN THE bUILDING !!

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Oxtails_1669.jpg

Oxtails_1670.jpg

Oxtails_1671.jpg

NOW, WHICH WAY TO GO WITH THEM .............

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, man ... you really ARE Lucky! Please keep us posted!!!!

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Yep-pers, oxtails have a way of putting soup and stew right over the top. We never see them in the stores, so we have to either go to the West Side Market or order them from a butcher shop. Darn things are almost $7 a pound when you can find them. Enjoy!

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Whoa ! SEVEN bucks ? I paid 3.20 this time, a little more than last time..............

I also have to order them from my butcher; usually I'll ask on Friday for any specialty items like oxtail or rabbits, and he'll have it for me the following Friday .........:thumb:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Score! I'd do them just like you did them before. I don't think you can beat that type of sauce for oxtails. Next time that I cook them, I'm going to make some crispy polenta rounds to go alongside.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LT, did you add any liquid to the pan of stuff? Looks red.

Lee

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
yeah, I did.........
This is (roughly) the recipe I followed..............

Braised Oxtail with Carrots
Ingredients:
4 pounds oxtail, cut in 1-1/2-inch chunks and trimmed of excess fat
2 tablespoons cooking oil
2 medium-size yellow onions, peeled, large dice
2 cups beef broth and 1 cup dry red wine
1 (15 oz.) can Rotel diced tomatoes
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds, crushed
1 bay leaf, crumbled
1 tablespoon minced parsley
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon sweet or hot Spanish smoked paprika
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
6 to 8 medium-size carrots, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
2 tablespoons flour blended with 2 tablespoons cold water
Preparation:
Brown oxtail in oil in a large, heavy kettle over high heat and drain on paper toweling. Reduce heat to moderate, add onions and paprika to kettle and sauté, stirring, 8 to 10 minutes until golden. Return meat to kettle, add water (or broth and wine mix), tomatoes, tomato sauce, celery seeds, bay leaf, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Cover, and simmer over low heat 3 hours until meat is tender. Cool and skim off fat.
Add carrots, cover, and simmer 20 minutes until tender. Mix in flour-water paste and heat, stirring, until thickened. Serve over buttered noodles.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Major difference was the carrots............ they went in at the git-go...................
Didn't use the flour to thicken................2 TBL of Tomato paste added to the tomato sauce mixture
served very nicely.