Makes 6 naans

2 C. all purpose flour, plus more for dusting/rolling
3 tsp. sugar, divided
1 tsp. yeast
2 tsp. salt
3 TBSP. plain Greek yogurt
2 TBSP. extra virgin olive oil
2 TBSP. soft butter, for buttering cooked naans

In a medium bowl, dissolve the yeast and 1 tsp. sugar with 3/4 C. warm water (about 110°F - 115°F). Let it proof (sit until bubbly), about 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, mix together the remaining sugar, flour and salt. Once the yeast is proofed, add the yogurt and olive oil to it and mix well.

Pour the yogurt mixture into the dry ingredients and mix the dough together with a fork. When the dough is about to come together, dust your hands with flour and knead gently into a soft, slightly sticky dough. As soon as it comes together, stop kneading.

Lightly spray a container (large enough to allow the dough to double) with cooking spray. Transfer the dough to the prepared container and cover. Let sit in a warm place for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until about doubled in size.

Place some flour on the side of your work surface. Dust your work surface with flour and place the dough on top. Sprinkle some flour on top of the dough and on your hands. Shape the dough into a rope and cut into 6 equal pieces, dusting with more flour as necessary to prevent sticking. Shape each piece of dough into a ball. Roll each ball in flour to keep them from sticking.

Heat a large cast iron pan (I used my cast iron griddle pan) over medium high heat until very hot.

Using a rolling pin, roll one of the dough balls into an oval shape about 1/8" thick. Pick up the dough and flip it back and forth between your hands to remove excess flour; then lay the dough in the dry pan and cook a few minutes until the top develops air bubbles and the bottom is golden and blackened in spots. Flip the naan and cook about 1 - 2 minutes more until the bottom is lightly browned and charred in spots.

Remove the naan from the skillet and brush with melted butter. Place naan on a plate and cover to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining naans, lower heat if necessary as you go to prevent over charring.

naan_bread_070319_IMG_5970.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Holy mackerel, Peep - that looks delicious!

Printing out to save.

Thanks!

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Thanks Lee.

They are so easy to make.

DD and I googled recipes and some make it seem so complicated (with different types of yeast etc. Yeast is yeast to me. Some proof faster). I dumbed it down. LOL I added extra salt also. And it worked.

I was thinking of adding vanilla to the dough. And after cooking butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Peep's Homemade Naan

Makes 6 naans

2 C. all purpose flour, plus more for dusting/rolling
3 tsp. sugar, divided
1 tsp. yeast
2 tsp. salt
3 TBSP. plain Greek yogurt
2 TBSP. extra virgin olive oil
2 TBSP. soft butter, for buttering cooked naans

In a medium bowl, dissolve the yeast and 1 tsp. sugar with 3/4 C. warm water (about 110°F - 115°F). Let it proof (sit until bubbly), about 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, mix together the remaining sugar, flour and salt. Once the yeast is proofed, add the yogurt and olive oil to it and mix well.

Pour the yogurt mixture into the dry ingredients and mix the dough together with a fork. When the dough is about to come together, dust your hands with flour and knead gently into a soft, slightly sticky dough. As soon as it comes together, stop kneading.

Lightly spray a container (large enough to allow the dough to double) with cooking spray. Transfer the dough to the prepared container and cover. Let sit in a warm place for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until about doubled in size.

Place some flour on the side of your work surface. Dust your work surface with flour and place the dough on top. Sprinkle some flour on top of the dough and on your hands. Shape the dough into a rope and cut into 6 equal pieces, dusting with more flour as necessary to prevent sticking. Shape each piece of dough into a ball. Roll each ball in flour to keep them from sticking.

Heat a large cast iron pan (I used my cast iron griddle pan) over medium high heat until very hot.

Using a rolling pin, roll one of the dough balls into an oval shape about 1/8" thick. Pick up the dough and flip it back and forth between your hands to remove excess flour; then lay the dough in the dry pan and cook a few minutes until the top develops air bubbles and the bottom is golden and blackened in spots. Flip the naan and cook about 1 - 2 minutes more until the bottom is lightly browned and charred in spots.

Remove the naan from the skillet and brush with melted butter. Place naan on a plate and cover to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining naans, lower heat if necessary as you go to prevent over charring.

View attachment 32560

Printed out to make.

Does it make a difference if I use regular or instant yeast? I have regular/non-instant (or whatever the correct name for it is!)

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Printed out to make.

Does it make a difference if I use regular or instant yeast? I have regular/non-instant (or whatever the correct name for it is!)

Lee

I use whatever I have. I don't see that it big a difference. I use the bottle rapid/bread machine or the envelopes.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Printed out to make.

Lee

Lee I hope you like them, please post pictures.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Printed out to make.

Lee

I think you have to use a bit more regular yeast. I don't remember the ratio. I have to look it up every time.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I just found this.

Each little .25-ounce packet of active dry yeast contains about 2 1/2 teaspoons of yeast.
To substitute instant or bread machine yeast for active dry yeast, use 25% less instant yeast than active dry.
A 6-oz cube of cake yeast is roughly equivalent to 1½ to 2 teaspoons instant yeast or 2 to 2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast.

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/yeast-the-basics/