A fun look at turkey fryer safety....

Ronjohn

Courtesy of State Farm and William Shatner.

This topic comes up every year around this time, and this is one of the better ones that I've seen. I thought it was good for a laugh.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYkRF_FmD40"]http://youtu.be/EYkRF_FmD40 [/ame]

:)

Shermie

Site Supporter
Re: A fun look at turkey fryer saftey....

Interesting vid!

But I would NOT have thrown the turkey fryer away!!! I would have kept it still, and go over everything thoroughly to learn from my mistakes and do better the next time!!

I also have one, but it's an electric one (pictured below).

It can easily accommodate up to a 14-pounder. But I've only used it once, mainly because it DOES use an astronomical amount of oil.

Maybe someday soon, I'll muster up the ambition to do another deep fried turkey.

Attachments

• Turk'N'Surf Electric Turkey Fryer..jpg
    Turk'N'Surf Electric Turkey Fryer..jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 111

Leni

I have done the same thing Sherman. The turkey was terrific but the amount of oil needed.....Yikes!

Shermie

Site Supporter

I have done the same thing Sherman. The turkey was terrific but the amount of oil needed.....Yikes!

Yeah, even my regular size deep fryer wastes up and monopolizes at least a GALLON of oil. I can use the used oil for sauteeing, searing, frying and other things, which I've done, but the chances of using up that much oil after deep frying a turkey within reasonablr time are slim, and it might start to go rancid before it is all used up.

I don't have a fridge big enough to keep all that oil cold and protect it from going bad!!

And as a rule, ALL of the units, whether it's a small compact deep fryer, a regualr size deep fryer or a turkey fryer, they ALL force you to fill the pot or pan to the FULL mark!

You can't possibly use any less oil because the manual strictly enforces that you don't break that rule, or it'll be too dangerous to do so!! No getting out of it! :bonk:

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Entertaining vid! I love William Shatner!

One of the most important tips when deep-frying a turkey is to put the turkey in the empty pot and fill with water, to cover the turkey. THEN TAKE THE TURKEY OUT OF THE POT, and mark the line where the water is. THAT is the correct amount of oil to pour in.

Deep-fried turkeys are incredibly delicious, and only take a little over 30 minutes to cook. Yes, they take a lot of oil, so it's worthwhile asking friends and neighbors if they want to bring over a turkey for you to fry for them, too.

Or chicken wings. Or a pork loin. Or a beef tenderloin. Or potatoes, carrots and onions.

LOL! All fabulous!

Lee