Garlic and Herb Bread sticks for the Bread Machine

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I made these the other day to go with a pan of lasagna. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pics but I will next time because they were amazing!

9 ounces of warm water (105 to 110° F)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tablespoons sugar
3 Tablespoons of garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 Tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
3 cups bread flour
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine, melted

Place the first nine ingredients in the bread machine in the order recommended by manufacturer. Select dough setting.

When the cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide it into 20 equal portions. Shape each into a ball and then roll each into a 9-in. rope. Place on 2 greased baking sheets.

Cover and let rise in a warm place for 40 minutes or until doubled.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Brush with butter.

Attachments

• breadsticks.jpg
    breadsticks.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 993
Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Barb!

I changed up the original recipe quite a bit. One of the things I did was added extra garlic. The original recipe called for 3 teaspoons of garlic but I LOVE garlic so I used 3 Tablespoons. If you don't like a lot of garlic, cut back on it.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Awesome! Thanks Mama! I’ve been curious about using my machine for the Dough setting, and this is it! I’ll be making these soon! Thank you so much!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I LOVE my bread machine. I never bake my bread in it because I don't like the "look" of the loaves. I just use the dough cycle, shape it, let it rise a second time and then bake it.

homecook

Mama!!!! These are FABULOUS!! I hope they turned out close to yours. lol DH is raving about them!! I did use the 3 T. of garlic also......awesome recipe! Thank You!! I used my mixer for this as I don't have a bread machine. They turned out great....:thumb:

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,004

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm glad you like them! They look wonderful! I made them the other night when there were just 6 of us and there weren't ANY left. I know they'll be made on a regular basis here.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Wow, Barb, those are gorgeous! You did a fantastic job as always! Thanks for posting the pic! Now I'm dying to make these! I think I'll give them a try tomorrow night!

homecook

Thanks Mama and Keltin! They are really good and easy! I'm not sure we're even going to eat dinner tonight. lolol DH has had three of them already! hahaha

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I'm thinking of using this for a pizza crust this week.

OH!! Do you think it would work? I've never made homemade pizza, so if this works as crust too, I'll give it a shot! Let us know if you do it!!! :thumb:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
This is a soft dough and it's very easy to work with. I think I'm gonna try it on the grill and that might crisp it up on the bottom....we'll see. If it works, I think it will make some amazing pizza.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Oh, another thing, this will probably make 2 pizzas so I'm thinking of just freezing 1/2 of it and seeing how that works too.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I really want to make these - I'm sure Jerry would love them. I don't have a bread machine, either...but I'm sure they would work fine using my KA mixer...Barb? How long did you knead the dough in your mixer? Did any of the proportions change, e.g., did you have to add any flour? Your breadsticks look just beautiful.

homecook

I really want to make these - I'm sure Jerry would love them. I don't have a bread machine, either...but I'm sure they would work fine using my KA mixer...Barb? How long did you knead the dough in your mixer? Did any of the proportions change, e.g., did you have to add any flour? Your breadsticks look just beautiful.

Karen, I did use my KA mixer. I probably added 1/4 cup more flour. I just sprinkled it in until the dough left the sides of the bowl. I let it knead for about 5 minutes. I then kneaded it by hand for a couple minutes more until smooth. Like Mama said, it is a soft dough and really easy to work with. The first rise took about 1 hour and the second rise was close to an hour also. Good luck and have fun!!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Barb! I'll make those this week sometime, I think. Thanks again for the recipe, Mama!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I made the pizza from the bread sticks dough tonight. It has a really good taste. If you like your pizza crust soft and chewy, you'd really like this crust. I cooked it a little extra trying to crisp it up and succeeded only slightly. It was still good though.

Attachments

• pizza-07252011.jpg
    pizza-07252011.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 223

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Peepers! I think I would have liked it better if I could have gotten the crust a little crispier.

homecook

Did you pre-grill the dough a little bit first Mama? Then add the toppings? It looks superb! I'm going to try that next time I make the dough as it's really good!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I got the grill good and hot and then put the dough directly on the oiled grate, grilled for a few minutes, flipped, quickly topped it, closed the lid and turned off the heat.

homecook

I got the grill good and hot and then put the dough directly on the oiled grate, grilled for a few minutes, flipped, quickly topped it, closed the lid and turned off the heat.

I would have thought that would do it. I wonder if you kept the grill on a couple minutes more. But then I guess you run the risk of it burning. I'm going to be trying this on a charcoal grill......wish me luck. lol

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
You can always take it off the grill and run it under the broiler for a few minutes if the toppings don't get done enough for your liking on the grill. I'm interested in seeing how it turns out on a charcoal grill....Good Luck!

Nancy-MD

Mama!!!! These are FABULOUS!! I hope they turned out close to yours. lol DH is raving about them!! I did use the 3 T. of garlic also......awesome recipe! Thank You!! I used my mixer for this as I don't have a bread machine. They turned out great....:thumb:
Ooooooh my those look wonderful! I can smell them through the picture!
I made the pizza from the bread sticks dough tonight. It has a really good taste. If you like your pizza crust soft and chewy, you'd really like this crust. I cooked it a little extra trying to crisp it up and succeeded only slightly. It was still good though.
The pizza looks delicious, Mama. Thank you for sharing your recipe. I've copied it to try very soon. Yummy yum!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ok, I finally did it! I made these, and WOW, they are awesome! You can just sit around munching these all by themselves, who needs dinner! I’m thinking of making a red sauce loaded with cheese for dipping, and that’s it, dinner on these bread sticks! They are awesome!

This is a big recipe, and I’m only one person, so I let the majority of these rise the second time and then froze them. They are all bagged and frozen now. I’ve cooked pre-packaged breads that were frozen before, and they were good - like Hot Mama’s Garlic Knots. So I’m hoping these cook up as well through the days after being frozen. We shall see!

The small pan I cooked tonight, and the large pan is the frozen bit.

Awesome recipe Mama, thanks!!! :clap:

One Note: these are a bit heavy on the garlic and call for 3 Tbls of garlic powder. You can really taste it. If you aren’t a fan of Garlic, I’d suggest halving that. Personally, I’m a garlic nut and love ‘em as is!! :clap:

Attachments

• step1.jpg
    step1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 177
  • step2.jpg
    step2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 179
  • step3.jpg
    step3.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 173
  • step4.jpg
    step4.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 177
  • step5.jpg
    step5.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 174
  • step6.jpg
    step6.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 167
  • step7.jpg
    step7.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 178
  • step8.jpg
    step8.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 176

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Nice job Keltin! Glad you liked them! Let me know how they freeze. Did you parbake them or just freeze them?

The original recipe called for 3 teaspoons of garlic but I'm a big fan of garlic too so I upped it to the 3 Tablespoons!