2 cups thinly sliced Cabbage
1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
1 large Shallot, thinly sliced
4 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 (11 oz) can of Corn
32 small Shrimp , peeled and deveined
8 Spring Roll sheets

Procedure
In a steamer, add cabbage and liberally add salt and pepper. Steam until just tender, about 8 minutes. Cut off the heat and allow to sit and cool for 5 minutes. Drain in a colander, then place in a covered bowl and set aside.

In a small skillet, add 1 tablespoon of butter and a splash of olive oil. Once the butter melts, add the shrimp. As soon as they hit the pan, sprinkle with pepper. Sauté for 4 minutes until just done. Remove to a covered bowl and reserve.

In the same skillet, add the mushrooms. Cover and allow to cook 3-5 minutes. Now add the shallots and garlic. Allow to cook uncovered for another 5 minutes. After this time, remove from skillet (you’re done with it now) and place ingredients in a bowl. In the same bowl, add the corn (making sure it is thoroughly drained). Stir briefly to mix, then cover and reserve.

Heat deep fryer to 375 degrees. On a cutting board, lay out a sheet of the spring roll dough with one point facing you (you should be facing a diamond of dough). On the dough, add a few pinches of cabbage, then 4 shrimp, and finally 2 tablespoons of the corn/shallot/mushroom mixture.

Fold the tip away from you and over the mound of ingredients. Tuck the tip inwards into the mixture, and slowly roll forward. As you go, use your fingers to pull the ingredients inside. At the half-way point, fold the right and left sides over to seal the wrap, then continue forward until it is completely wrapped.

Set aside and repeat until all have been wrapped.

When ready, drop one wrapped package into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown and crisp, about 5-6 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Repeat, one at a time until all have been done. Serve with Soy Sauce at the table.

Notes
If you’re like me and like to stuff these things heavily, then consider using 2 sheets of the spring dough. It sticks together and you have to peel it away anyway, so peel 2 at a time for a thicker crust that won’t break or burst with thicker stuffing.

Also, when you first drop one of these packages into the oil, it often helps to use tongs to hold the crease together as you hold it in the oil. Hold the package for 1 minute or so to ensure it is set before releasing. This ensures it won’t unravel and spew out your ingredients.

Pictures

Step_1-54.jpg

Step_2-53.jpg

step_3-46.jpg

Step_4-41.jpg

Step_5-34.jpg

Step_6-29.jpg

Step_7-22.jpg

Step_8-18.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Looks really good Keltin. You can also mix together a little bit of water and flour to form a paste. Add a dab to the end corner of your wrapper paper and this will hold your seal like a glue.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
these look great but my family love shrimp but i don't. what can i replace shrimp with for mine? more veggies? ground pork? both?

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Do you like scallops, Peep? Because scallops and sweet corn are a fantastic taste combination.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I'd try crab or lobster peep. In fact, I nearly DID do a crab version tonight, but had to restrain myself!

If you don't want shellfish, then yeah, easily sub in some ground pork mixed with a bit of green onion and a dash of soy.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Looks really good Keltin. You can also mix together a little bit of water and flour to form a paste. Add a dab to the end corner of your wrapper paper and this will hold your seal like a glue.

Awesome tip Mama!! :kiss:

I had a problem with #1.....which is why only 3 are pictured! :lol:

The first unraveled, so I'll definitely try your tip! Heck, I got 21 more of these sheets to use!!!!! :yum:

Thank you! :thumb:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I'd try crab or lobster peep. In fact, I nearly DID do a crab version tonight, but had to restrain myself!

If you don't won't shellfish, then yeah, easily sub in some ground pork mixed with a bit of green onion and a dash of soy.
ok cool i don't like any of those fishies!! i do like stuffed or raw clams.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful photos, K! I love the picture of the cabbage head, LOL! It's a great shot!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Those look perfect! I've gotten to where I like spring rolls better than egg rolls because of the skins. Yours look so light and crispy. :idea: I wonder if you could make some crab rangoon with those left over wrappers.

Photos are great too! Are you using a tripod?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful photos, K! I love the picture of the cabbage head, LOL! It's a great shot!

Lee

Thanks! It was such a pretty head of cabbage, I just had to give it a few minutes of fame! :biggrin:

Those look perfect! I've gotten to where I like spring rolls better than egg rolls because of the skins. Yours look so light and crispy. :idea: I wonder if you could make some crab rangoon with those left over wrappers.

Photos are great too! Are you using a tripod?

No Tripod, but I've considered getting one. I just hold the camera really still, and take 5-6 shots of the same pic. Of those, there is usually 1 or more that is worthy. :lol:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
No Tripod, but I've considered getting one. I just hold the camera really still, and take 5-6 shots of the same pic. Of those, there is usually 1 or more that is worthy. :lol:
I can't believe you aren't using a tripod. You have a steady hand!!!! (I had to get a camera with image stabilization to get any good close-ups.) Next time you're at Walmart, check out the little table-top tripods. They are wonderful for taking food pics.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

If you don't want shellfish, then yeah, easily sub in some ground pork mixed with a bit of green onion and a dash of soy.
i have another question can i add sprouts or other veggies? if so which alfalfa or bean sprounts? bok choy? i'm thinking bean may be to large for the delicate spring rolls.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
i have another question can i add sprouts or other veggies? if so which alfalfa or bean sprounts? bok choy? i'm thinking bean may be to large for the delicate spring rolls.

Unless you double up on the rolls, then it needs to be a soft addition so it doesn't tear as you roll. Wilted bok choy sounds good. Bean sprouts should also work. You can use firmer veggies, just don't use as much, and make sure they stay "in line" as you roll to keep them from breaking the dough.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Unless you double up on the rolls, then it needs to be a soft addition so it doesn't tear as you roll. Wilted bok choy sounds good. Bean sprouts should also work. You can use firmer veggies, just don't use as much, and make sure they stay "in line" as you roll to keep them from breaking the dough.
ok thank you. maybe julienned carrots blanched also. i'll let you know when i make them.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
ok thank you. maybe julienned carrots blanched also. i'll let you know when i make them.

I saw Ming use julienne carrots and cucumbers on a spring roll once. So yeah, by all means. Just keep then thin, run them long with the roll, and don’t over pack. Should be fine.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I saw Ming use julienne carrots and cucumbers on a spring roll once. So yeah, by all means. Just keep then thin, run them long with the roll, and don’t over pack. Should be fine.
is he the one who owns the blue ginger or something resturant?