Site Supporter
How do you like your steaks to be cooked? :eating2:

Attachments

• Steak Degree of Doneness..jpg
    Steak Degree of Doneness..jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 262

Shermie

Site Supporter
Usually, if it is cooked beyond well, it can be like eating an alligator steak.

Which is usually why I cook it medium and if I'm at a restaurant, such as a steakhouse, I order it medium well. :eating2:

Moxie

Rarely e for me. But that pies off medium rare sure looks like it has way too much gray meat! If I was served that in a restaurant, I'd send it back.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Well done. As long as it is my meat and I make it. Seldom order steak out as it does not match what I raise here on the farm.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I found out that the best way to cook a steak is to sear it on both sides on top of the stove in a large or small cast iron skillet - sort of as you would do with a pot roast.

Then I finish it in the oven at about 350 degrees, constantly checking it with a thermometer to make sure that it's not overcooked. I like THIS method the best, for it helps you make the steak doneness to your preferred level to avoid having to eat a leather steak! :piesmiley1::eating2:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I pull my steaks from the heat when the internal temperature reaches 135 degrees F. Medium rare. :)

Shermie

Site Supporter
All this talk about steaks - I might pull one of them from the freezer, marinate it and cook it for supper this evening!! Hah!! :weber:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Buzz had a great steak thread a while ago, but I can't find it.

It went something like warm the meat to 90 degrees then broil or charcoal. That seems to agree with a couple google hits.

In RE: the chart i would think the number of minutes per side depends on thickness of the steak and the internal temp is the final judge.

Otherwise - Sherm has the best idea - Lets go make some steak.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter

It went something like warm the meat to 90 degrees then broil or charcoal. That seems to agree with a couple google hits.

In RE: the chart i would think the number of minutes per side depends on thickness of the steak and the internal temp is the final judge.

Ahhh. Dry brined reverse searing ---

http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12939&highlight=reverse

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Yup! That's it. Now that I see the term "Reverse Sear" Didn't High Cheese have a thread on it as well?

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
not sure, andy- i remember that whole revere sear/brining deal very well, tho.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

:wow:I LOVE Buzzy's reverse sear steak method!! It is the only way I cook my beautiful prime sirloin now. BTW nothing beats the taste of prime cut sirloin. Thank you so much Buzz your post. It keeps on giving joy! LOL

http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=161684#post161684

Prime cut boneless sirloin steak (Fairway butcher dept.) cooked via reverse searing. I seasoned and let it sit for about 1 hour. Put in 275°F oven for approx. 25 minutes for 2 ½-inch steak till internal temp was 90°F. Then seared on cast iron stovetop grill pan till internal temp was 117°F.

041313_prime_sirloin_1_P1090821.jpg

041313_prime_sirloin_2_P1090819.jpg

041313_prime_sirloin_3_P1090816.jpg

041313_prime_sirloin_4_P1090817.jpg

041313_sirloin_dinner_2_P1090824.jpg

041313_sirloin_dinner_1_P1090825.jpg

Shermie

Site Supporter
Something that I just noticed that didn't dawn on me before!

In the photo that I posted at the top of the previous page there is something that I just became aware of.

Note that the steak at the top in the photo is more plump & taller than the rest of them, and as you look further down, the steak as shrunk considerably.

But I just can't & won't eat rare steak!! I won't do it!

Here's the steak that I like - sirloin. But at a steakhouse, I like filet mignon!! :weber:

Attachments

• Sirloin Steak..png
    Sirloin Steak..png
    75.3 KB · Views: 104