PINWHEELS

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
PINWHEELS

8 ounces cream cheese
8 ounces sour cream
1 cup grated cheese (I use yellow cheddar)
1/4 cups sweet peppers OR chilies if you prefer
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon parsley flakes
1/2 cup chopped onions
7 soft taco shells.

Mix all ingredients together. Spread on tacos
roll up and refrigerate until firm. Cut into thirds and serve with salsa

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I can just about taste those LT. They sound so good. :tiphat:
Can't wait to try them. :thumb:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Are soft taco shells the same thing as tortillas?

Lee

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Yes maa'm; taco shells, both hard and soft, are tortillas;

Traditionally, soft taco shells referred to corn tortillas that were cooked to a softer state than a hard shell - usually by grilling or steaming.

More recently the term has come to mean wheat flour tortilla shells.

In this context, soft taco shells are tortillas made with wheat flour, but
either shell, corn based or wheat based, will be fine, so long as it's a softie.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good info LT. :thumb:

I was in a Mexican restaurant last week and ordered a burrito for the first time (other than at taco hell). Course it comes on the plate and reminds me of the enchilada that I normally order there. So I ask the waiter what the difference is between a burrito and a enchilada.

He said an enchilada is a wheat tortilla and burrito is a corn tortilla and is usually a little bigger than the enchilada. Other than that they are the same. Surprised me.

Way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth - & when free-standing bakeries were not only common, but actually made loaves of regular white bread sliced to order - my mom's go-to pass-around-with-drinks appetizer were pinwheels she made by ordering loaves of plain white bread, sliced lengthwise, from the local bakery. Then she'd lightly rolling-pin the lengthwise slices to condense them a little & make them more pliable, spread them with an endless variety of different fillings - flavored cream cheeses (dried chipped beef, chives, pimiento, green olive, date & nut), ham spread, liverwurst spread, etc., etc., - roll them up tightly in wax paper, chill them in the fridge, then slice them about a 1/2" thick, & serve on platters. So pretty & so delicious!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth - & when free-standing bakeries were not only common, but actually made loaves of regular white bread sliced to order - my mom's go-to pass-around-with-drinks appetizer were pinwheels she made by ordering loaves of plain white bread, sliced lengthwise, from the local bakery. Then she'd lightly rolling-pin the lengthwise slices to condense them a little & make them more pliable, spread them with an endless variety of different fillings - flavored cream cheeses (dried chipped beef, chives, pimiento, green olive, date & nut), ham spread, liverwurst spread, etc., etc., - roll them up tightly in wax paper, chill them in the fridge, then slice them about a 1/2" thick, & serve on platters. So pretty & so delicious!!

I remember those, Breezy, and I love them!

Lee

QuirkyCookery

I make these and love 'em! I'm always expected to bring them for the various get togethers and end up making quadruple batches to keep up with the demand, ha.