What are you eating Friday Christmas Eve 1/24/10?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Well Happy Christmas Eve everyone!!

We will be having fish - fried calamri, fried cod, stuffed clams, white clam sauce, broccoli with garlic and oil and lingunie. I may change my menu slightly to add stuffed mushrooms (tonight or tommorw) and remove the olive sauce.

I hope you and yours have wonderful and joyous Holiday meals today and tomorrow filled with love and awesome food!!

Have some leftovers from yesterday - meatballs with tomato sauce & portobello stuffed ravioli - but not enough for another meal. Making a dash to the market for shrimp etc. for spaghetti aglio e olio & shrimp bruschetta (see my show me your bruschetta topic). Will check out the bakery for dessert.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Ribeyes, shrimp, twice baked potatoes, broccoli, deviled eggs, salad, texas toast and Italian cream cake :biggrin: Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
We are invited to friends' houses tomorrow for brunch and also a barbecue, so we are having our turkey dinner tonight. Turkey is in the oven, all stuffed. Fruit salad is made, bread is rising. Pumpkin pie is cooling on the counter. I'm off now to start the sweet potatoes. Feliz Navidad, everyone!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
VeraBlue is in da house!!!! And in the kitchen!! I just made an eggnog cheese cake, so that's going to cool for tonight.

Dinner tonight is also all fish. Can't get to 7, though...it just makes no sense for just two people, ya know?

Mushrooms stuffed with a traditional N'Awlins crawfish dressing
Boiled gulf shrimp with a remoulade sauce
Fried Calamari
Fried Oysters
Capellini with Clams

So, I got 5, 6 if you count the anchovies that will be used in the sauce for the capellini

Eggnog cheesecake

Merry Christmas, Everyone!!!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Take pictures, Vera! I don't know where you find the energy...hope you and Lou have a lovely Christmas Eve.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Can't wait to see it, Vera.

BTW, several people have mentioned 7 fishes. Could someone explain the reference to me?

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I know what we're having for supper!!!!!

Our neighbor across the street is from El Salvador. A few weeks ago I had a huge bag of dried chiles. It was more than I could use for the rest of my life. I took what I wanted and put them in a jar, and gave the rest to the neighbor. This morning I sent them over a huge plate of cookies for the kids.

Every year, they traditionally spend the whole day together on Christmas Eve making tamales. Ramon just knocked on my door with a dish of warm tamales. He said they used my chiles! This is sooooo special. The shrimp for tonight will become an appetizer for tomorrow, and we're having tamales for Christmas Eve.
:clap:

GotGarlic

I know what we're having for supper!!!!!

Our neighbor across the street is from El Salvador. A few weeks ago I had a huge bag of dried chiles. It was more than I could use for the rest of my life. I took what I wanted and put them in a jar, and gave the rest to the neighbor. This morning I sent them over a huge plate of cookies for the kids.

Every year, they traditionally spend the whole day together on Christmas Eve making tamales. Ramon just knocked on my door with a dish of warm tamales. He said they used my chiles! This is sooooo special. The shrimp for tonight will become an appetizer for tomorrow, and we're having tamales for Christmas Eve.
:clap:

Yummy, I love tamales! What wonderful neighbors you have :smile:

GotGarlic

Rib-eye roast was on sale at the store today, so I bought one and persuaded the butcher to cut it into steaks for me, so DH has offered to grill those outside. I'll also make twice-baked potatoes and a green salad. I couldn't find cherries for cherry tart, so I got a bag of frozen mixed berries and made clafoutis. It's cooling now.

Leni

I'm still not sure. I know that I have plenty of ham still but I think the family is a little tired of that by now. Maybe chicken something.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
The reference to 7 fishes is for the 7 christian sacraments. Some people do 12 for the apostles or 13 for the apostles and jesus. For some reason unknown to me, jesus and fish seem to go hand in hand in the italian families.

Leni

Tom came home with tamales from the office party. They also had spanish rice. That's what we'll have tonight along with refried beans, salsa, and guacamole with chips.

Guts

Had some chips with the Miguel's jalapeno cream sauce for a snack. Some rotisserie chicken and some string beans with bacon and onion, a side dish of cottage cheese. Have molasses Ginger cookies chocolate chip cookies or ice cream for dessert. Here's a pic of the string beans.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 222

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
We had friends over for dinner. We all can't get together for a Christmas Day Dinner since everyone goes different directions.

Ham, scalloped potatoes, beets, cranberry sauce,asparagus, carrots, cauliflower, and a green bean casserole. Carrot Cake and a white cake with Coconut Icing.

Jim

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
It was said in the Bible that Jesus was the "fisher" of man. Yes it is an Italian Christmas eve tradition to have a meatless Christmas eve and to celebrate as Vera stated with either 7, 12 or 13 fishes. When I was a kid the family dinners had LOADS of fish on Christmas eve. I only have 4 people to cook for so I don't make that many fish dishes.

Here was our Christmas Eve Dinner:

Panko herb crusted Fried Cod, Fried Calamari, tomato sauce & homemade tartar sauce.

122410_cod_calamari.jpg

Baked Stuffed Clams & Garlic Bread

122410_baked_clams_garlic_bread.jpg

Dinner plate fried cod, fried calamari, baked clams, spinach & chive linguine with White Clam Sauce & garlic bread.

122410_clam_cod_calami_broccoli_linguine_clam_sauce.jpg

Cheesecake with cherry topping will be served later.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Had some chips with the Miguel's jalapeno cream sauce for a snack. Some rotisserie chicken and some string beans with bacon and onion, a side dish of cottage cheese. Have molasses Ginger cookies chocolate chip cookies or ice cream for dessert. Here's a pic of the string beans.
Those beans look so yummy!!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Beautiful VB and Peeps!

Christmas Eve dinner with family:

Attachments

• christmas-eve-2010-1.jpg
    christmas-eve-2010-1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 98
  • christmas-eve-2010-2.jpg
    christmas-eve-2010-2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 96

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thank you Mama!!

All I can say is YUMMY!! I FOUND THE BEEF!! Pass me one of those juicy steaks!!