Do you sauce your steak??

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Planning on grilling a couple of Tbones tonight and it always gets me thinking.

I once did a food trail that required me to cook steak. I grilled it perfectly and served it with sauteed mushrooms and nothing else. Sure the beef was seasoned, but essentially, it went to the chef naked. His first question to me was 'you didn't make a sauce?'

I think meat has enough backbone to stand alone, but that's me. Not that I don't enjoy a wonderful accompaniment that a great steak house would offer, but, I don't need it. Hollandaise on a steak is superb, but again, I don't need it.

Do you sauce your steak? Would you only save the sauce if you felt you cooked it improperly??
If you do sauce, what is your favourite?

SilverSage

Resident Crone
My answer is ..... definitely ....... sometimes.

Depends on the cut, how it's cooked, and what goes with it.

When I do sauce it, my first choice is to deglaze the pan with some red wine, add some demi-glace or espagnole, a bit of marrow if I have it, stir in sauteed mushrooms, and I have an instant bordelaise. My favorite!

However, I must admit to having a bottle of Peter Luger's Steak Sauce in the fridge for hamburgers, and I have been known to use it on steak once in a while if it's cooked anything past rare.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I taste the steak. f it stands on it's own, that is how I eat it. If it is yuckey, on goes the sauce.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Smoke King!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hiya!!! Recently had a sandwich called the Paesano which was slow roasted brisket, vinegar peppers, horseradish and a fried egg.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I've sauced leftover steak since it's never as good the second time around..

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
When I do sauce it, my first choice is to deglaze the pan with some red wine,
That's what I do every time, and then swirl in butter after the wine reduces. But I serve it on the side. The reason I always make sauce is then I slice any leftover meat and put it in any leftover sauce in the fridge. It's easy to reheat the next day and serve over rice or noodles.

Yes & no. Sometimes. I do enjoy the taste of the meat. Depends on my mood & the menu. If I get sauce-y - chimichurri, or mushrooms & cream. Topping the steak with a compound butter, is another way to go.

Off topic (different cut)... I was reading up on Delmonico's - their history, dishes, steaks menu, etc. Great read.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Sometimes I have, but I prefer just tasting a good steak, lightly marinated and prepared well. There have been a couple of times where I've had piccalilli on the side, too.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I like sauce on a steak every once in a while just for variety. My favorite is red wine/mushroom sauce. We used to eat at a place called Hoffbrau's, and they had a house lemon/butter sauce that was wonderful. On prime rib I like a horseradish sauce similar to what Outback calls Tiger Dill Sauce (sour cream, horseradish, dill, and some other stuff). Gorgonzola sauce is okay, but it kind of overpowers the meat taste too much for me.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sometimes chimichurri, sometimes garlic-herb butter, sometimes naked.

Lee

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Yes & no. Sometimes. I do enjoy the taste of the meat. Depends on my mood & the menu. If I get sauce-y - chimichurri, or mushrooms & cream. Topping the steak with a compound butter, is another way to go.

Off topic (different cut)... I was reading up on Delmonico's - their history, dishes, steaks menu, etc. Great read.

Yes yes yes...compound butters are to die for!! I love a roasted garlic and parsley butter on almost anything!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I usually have a couple of small bowls with sauce that I dip every 2nd or 3rd bite into. I like A1 and.......wait for it........get ready to gasp........ketchup.

There, I said it. :yum:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I like a mixture of half Worcestershire sauce and half ketchup! Maybe it's a southern thing....

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Steak when I first cook it now sauce at all. I do tend to make sauteed mushrooms with most steaks regardless if grilled or on the stove. Now if I have left over I might reheat it in the microwave and slice it down into bit size pieces and use a dipping sauce then. I have probably tried all of the steak sauces on the market but have found them all to cover the taste of the meat which takes little seasoning if a good cut.

K

Kimchee

For my average steak, I slather it with a compound butter before and during grilling.
I lightly carmelize some onions and saute some mushrooms in them, and serve those on top.

Every now and then I will do something with a sauce. Lesser cuts I often sauce.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I love A1, too. The main reason I always do a wine reduction sauce is that I pan-sear my steaks and deglazing makes the pan soooo easy to clean up afterward. LOL

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
A-1 Steak Sauce
Worcestershire Sauce
Soy sauce
Magi Seasoning sauce
Red Wine vinegar
Liquid hickory smoke

Mix to your liking. Dip steak in this spicy dip or put on a burger.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
I like a mixture of half Worcestershire sauce and half ketchup! Maybe it's a southern thing....
Mama.. you were horrified on this very forum when I once admitted I dipped steak in ketchup. LOL

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Anyone remember Prime Choice sauce?

70000_73060_16101_7306016101CF.jpg

Hell, I don't even know if they still make it.
It tastes a bit like A-1 only sweeter/BETTER.. hmmm, going to have to find some now.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Mama.. you were horrified on this very forum when I once admitted I dipped steak in ketchup. LOL

:huh: I don't remember that...I did a forum search out of curiosity and saw where I made a comment about my SIL putting ketchup on all meat and then about you putting Catalina dressing on a steak but that was all I found.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Catalina dressing? Hey, that sounds good .... and different!

Like one of those things that you serve people and they say, "What IS this sauce?? It's delicious but I can't place it!"

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I just Googled 'Catalina Dressing' and what I got reminds me of what we called "French Dressing' when I was a kid. Is it the same thing? If not, what's the difference?

How about Thousand Island and Russian Dressing?