Steaks - you don't always get what you pay for

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Last weekend, my friend, Kathy, treated me to any steak I wanted at the impressive butcher shop at Whole Foods.

I chose a bone in rib steak (an absolutely beautiful-looking slice of prime rib) and she chose a porterhouse for herself. Both were $16.99 a pound.

My steak cost $23 and hers was $31.

They were good, not superior, not even the best we've ever had. And CERTAINLY not worth the price.

It was a fun treat, but we're back to bargain-hunting.

The last photo is what was left over of my steak, after my first meal of it.

Lee

Attachments

• Rib steak 9-14.JPG
    Rib steak 9-14.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 184
  • Porterhouse 9-14.JPG
    Porterhouse 9-14.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 185
  • Rib steak grilled.JPG
    Rib steak grilled.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 197
  • Porterhouse grilled.JPG
    Porterhouse grilled.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 194
  • Rib steak leftover.JPG
    Rib steak leftover.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 190

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I'm a regular at our local small town butcher - third with teenybop'er fourth generation on site....

I buy pretty much all my 'whole cuts' there - steaks usually Delmonico - always bone in roasts (beef&pork) - he's got really good sausages/brats - oh and smoked / picnic hams.... his prime rib is about $10/lb.

the camera/lighting may be fooling me, but that meat looks too 'fresh' - ie not hung / aged enough. I go for the one lb +/- size Delmonicos and 'dry' them on a plate in the fridge for 3-4 days. another thing I've learn about salting - do that 3-5 hours before cooking or at cooking. that gives the salt time to pull out some moisture and then also 'reabsorb' via osmotic pressures.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
beautiful steak. i trust my providers- they have proven themselves time & again.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Would definitely have to be a little more done for me - preferably medium well. :piesmiley1::eating2:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my steak:

ummmm~ Sweet Jesus, i'm craving a steak now. chowder- green meat is not so common to many.

Attachments

• 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

Leni

Thursday night at the beach I went and bought filet mignons. They were superb! Tender, tasty and even if I say so cooked to perfection. Tom for some unknown reason has to have his cooked to medium well. Mine is medium rare. Served with a tomato and avocada salad and baked potato.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Just had some steaks last night that we got from an online supplier - which were very nice and I cooked them just right. Much better than the supermarket ones.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
would that be omaha,- i luv market steak. where i shop, they cut & age meat on premise. u can see, once in a while, in-bettween their vinyl curtains as they brush though them. their meat surpasses many other sole butcher shop meats. very well.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
having gandered the "mail order wonder meats" cited in the last week or so (other places, not here) this is what I found:

"normal" USDA prime/choice, $50 per pound + overnight shipping
"high end" ie domestic Waygu etc, $100 per pound + overnight shipping

"real" Waygu ie Asian/Japanese origin, $200-$600 per pound + overnight shipping.

I'm of the opinion I can do much better locally.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
One of these days, I'm going to try Waygu!

Has anyone here ever eaten it?

Lee

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Luvs
Its a supplier over her called Westin Gourmet https://www.westingourmet.co.uk/. Their meat is a little pricey, but I tend to watch out for their deals. The steaks I bought were 10 rump steaks (6oz) for £29. They are normally more than this.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the Japanese caught the "what's in a name" disease from Europe.

Kobe is a city/region in Japan, Wagyu is a "common name" for the breed of cattle, supposedly descendents from the "tajima" breed found in Kobe.

bit like "champagne" - unless it comes from a specific area in France it's just plain old sparkling white wine.....

Shermie

Site Supporter
I usually always buy THIS one;

Sirloin Steak. I find that it does not have as much fat as most other cuts of steak!

Even though it had been said that too much fat isn't good for you, I think that SOME of it is necessary for moistness, tenderness & flavor. :weber:

Attachments

• Sirloin Steak..png
    Sirloin Steak..png
    75.3 KB · Views: 162
  • BeefCutSirloin_svg.png
    BeefCutSirloin_svg.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 151

Johnny West

Tonight it was a porterhouse grilled over the coals with mesquite for smoke and a sweet potato slathered with ghee as a side.

Attachments

• #Porterhouse I.jpg
    #Porterhouse I.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 120
  • #Porterhouse II.jpg
    #Porterhouse II.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 123

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Did steak and corn last night on the grill.

Steak was good. If I remember to slowly raise the internal temp of the steak to 90 - 95 before putting it on the grill, I get a great meal.

I remembered.

I am fussy about my potato salad. My local grocer has a fair one, no egg, so I buy a third of the weight of the potato salad in egg salad, then I add some fresh dill I chopped.

Nice meal.