Gravlax / (Lox)

Rustpot

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Gravlax / (Lox) is a Norwegian recipe. Use fresh Salmon. Do not use frozen salmon, as it will come out mushy. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]3 to 3 ½ Pounds fresh salmon, center cut.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 large bunch dill, (roughly coped) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]¼ cup kosher salt or regular salt[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]¼ cup sugar [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 tablespoon pepper [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]washed and pat dry fish. Place one half of fish in a glass or stainless-steel bowl. (skin side down)[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Mix together the Salt, sugar & pepper. Sprinkle half of salt mixture on the flesh half of fish in bowl. Now, Place the bunch of dill on the half of fish in the bowl. Sprinkle the rest of salt mixture on the flesh side of the other half of fish and place the two flesh halves together. Place a sheet of cling wrap over the bowl and a small plate on the cling wrap so it rest on the fish. Now place a large 28oz can on top of the plate. (or something heavy) Refrigerate for 3 days, Every 12 houres, turn fish over open fish and baste inside of fish with the liquid marinade that accumulates. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]At the end of the 3 days / when the Gavlox is finished remove fish from marinade and scrape away the dill & seasonings. Pat fish dry and place on cutting-bored slice the salmon halves thinly on the diagonal, detaching each slice from the skin. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Eat on Bagel with cream cheese. I like it in an Omelet. [/FONT]

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This idea appeals to me greatly, Rustspot!

However, I'd have to take out a second mortgage on my house to buy that much salmon.

Pretty sure I could do one pound, though - thanks!

Lee

Rustpot

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I have made Gravlox 2 times, the first time was with frozen fish and it come out mushy and I did not care for it. The second time I made it I used fresh Salmon and it come out very good. With the Holidays just a few weeks away I am going to try making some again, but this time I'll add Onion in it. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Top of the day to you all. :bbq3:[/FONT]

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
You have that right on the cost of Salmon. I buy wild caught as I am not thrilled with what they feed farmed salmon.

At a local fish market, I can get a whole wild caught king salmon for about fifty bucks. In another, it is $21 a pound. Nearly double.

I always wondered how to make lox. I may try this thank you rustpot.

Rustpot

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I just finished another batch Gravlax / (Lox) last night. Because I make such large amounts I worry about the storage. I have froze it in the past, but this time I got myself a Vacuum sealer and used it for the first time last night. WOW, that thing worked great. My Lox looked just like store bought Lox, and will stay fresh longer. [/FONT]