SAN PEDRO TAPA

Jim54

201205P5261028Taps.jpg

Major Source: http://spanishfood.about.com/od/tapas/r/sanpedro.htm

This week I watched a music contest you Europeans will know: The Eurovision Song Contest. One of my favorite singers was from Spain. I wanted to celebrate her participation by preparing a Spanish dish. I found a very easy recipe for Tapas. Because of the limited sources of ingredients, I did need to make some changes.

Basically, a Tapa is a Grilled piece of Pork Loin, Pancetta and Mushroom on a slice of rustic baguette. Since I do not have a local source for Pancetta, I used what I think is an alternative (I have never had Pancetta so not sure). I used smoked bacon. I had some small Portobello Mushrooms so I used those. This recipe makes 2 tapas. It is very easy to increase the number of servings.

INGREDIENTS

1. 2 Pieces of 1 in thick boneless pork loin
  2. 2 Slices of smoked bacon
  3. 4 Small Portobello Mushrooms, without stem and washed thoroughly
  4. 2 slices of rustic baguette
  5. 4 square pieces of red peppers
PREPARATION

• If using bamboo skewers, soak for about 30 minutes
  • Wrap each piece of pork loin with a slice of bacon
  • Lightly salt both side. (I really don't think it needs salt, but... )
  • Slide onto the skewer (in this order) a mushroom, red pepper, bacon wrapped pork loin, red pepper, and mushroom.
  • Place skewer on a hot grill. Turn every 5 minutes until internal temperature is 165-175 degrees F.
  • Serve with baguette and a green salad with a light dressing such as a vinaigrette.
I liked them so much that I ate both :)

Serve with Spanish Sangria. Due to medication, I had to use non-alcoholic Sangria but still good.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks and sounds wonderful, Jim!

I don't understand the intrigue with pancetta at all! I far prefer the smokey flavor of bacon!

Lee

Jim54

I guess that is just how the Spanish make it. I don't know if it would taste different but with smoked bacon it is heavenly!

Leni

You thought correctly. Pancetta is basically unsmoked bacon. The Italians also use it a lot. Me. I prefer good old smoked bacon.