Saturday 3/17/2012 What's in the pot?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Let me guess ............... corned beef? LOL

Erin go Braugh!! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

My corned beef is simmering.

Are you going with the crowd or going your own way today?

St. Patrick's Day is an enchanted time - a day to begin transforming winter's dreams into summer's magic. ~Adrienne Cook

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.
~Irish Blessing

AllenOK

Saturday 3/17 What's for Dinner?

I was thinking corned beef tonight, but decided to wait until Sunday so I can catch some on sale.

I got a pork loin roast. I'm going to marinate it in equal parts soy and ketchup, with some sugar, garlic, ginger, and sesame oil in the marinade. I'll fire up the grill and cook it "offset style". Probably make some fried rice to go with it.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Re: Saturday 3/17 What's for Dinner?

Hey Allen GREAT minds!! We posted a dinner thread at the EXACT time. LOL

Embryodad

Yep!... Corned Beef & Cabbage!

282df53c.gif

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Well, this Slovenian boy who is married to a "non corned beef eating Irish bride," got his corned beef sammich from his Slovenian customer at lunch time. It had homemade horseradish and Plotchman's yellow mustard on Italian bread. I would have preferred a good Polish sourdough rye, but I was not complaining. I started making my rye sourdough starter this morning, and will bake the Polish Sourdough Rye tomorrow morning.

It's an amazingly beautiful day here today, so we're having brats on the grill with macaroni salad and baked beans for dinner. DW made chocolate chip cookies while I was working this morning, and I have a pot of spaghetti sauce (gravy for my Italian friends :D), with pork neck bones and homemade mild Italian sausage.I have 3-4 more hours of simmering before it will be ready for cooling & packaging for the freezer.

That's my story & I'm sticking to it! :wave:

I have "rickismom's" crockpot corned beef recipe simmering away in its Guinness for the first time at this very moment. Will report back re: how it turns out. Subbed some frozen pearl onions for the chopped, but otherwise stuck to her recipe.

Will be roasting veggies separate (carrots, turnips, baby potatoes, onions, garlic) in the oven, along with butter-sauteed cabbage (I HATE boiled or steamed cabbage with a passion) as sides.

In addition, since hubby doesn't eat red meat, I'll be grilling some turkey kielbasa for him to enjoy along with the same sides.

Just means more Corned Beef leftovers for Reuben sandwiches for me - LOL! :)

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Neither DH nor myself are fond of corned beef (I'm of Scottish descent and he is Irish). He's still not feeling well so it's chicken soup tonight.

It's been an absolutely beautiful day here. The pollen is terrible and everything is already turning green. I got some yard work done today. Still more to do but it's supposed to be nice tomorrow too. If the weather holds, I'm going to finish getting my garden ready to plant this week. There was a handyman that was supposed to come work on the house this weekend but something came up so that's on hold until next weekend.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I like corned beef and cabbage, but it's going to be spaghetti and meatballs tonight.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I'm not a big Patty's Day participant...................

Shrimp Sautee'd in a Sweet & Sour Vegetable Stir-Fry,
over Rice, with Tex-Mex flavored Scallops, and carrot salad

On a New PLATE !

002-9.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Had corned beef, potatoes and cabbage. This time I chopped the cabbage into bite size pieces added some corned beef broth and steamed it in the microwave. Much better than boiling it. It stayed nice and bright green and din't get slimey for over cooking. I will do that again.

No pictures.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Took this picture last week. Was to hungry to take pics tonight. LOL

Corned beef, potatoes, cabbage, cabbage salad (raw shredded cabbage & grated carrot dressed with oil, vinegar and spices) and mustard (Trader Joe whole grain Dijon mustard, Tobasco Hot and Spicy mustard and Gulden’s spicy brown mustard)

031112_corned_beef_P1090402.jpg

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
buffalo chix sammiches. salad later. fruit 4 me. my sammich is the 1 w/ lettuce. blake's is the other one.
& i wanna know how my cat dragged that Chritmas bulb box in here from 3 rooms away!:yum:

Attachments

• IMG_35891260.jpg
    IMG_35891260.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_35901259.jpg
    IMG_35901259.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 111

AllenOK

Well, I got the grill started late, and since my kids destroyed one of my chimneys, I didn't have enough charcoal going to properly cook my pork loin. I've got it going in the oven, should be done within 30 minutes. It's smelling GREAT!!!! I need to get my rear off the 'net and start prepping the Fried Rice.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
lol, allen- sometimes i cook @ 4:30 in the morning. well, not recently. i snooze so much now.

Embryodad

Some Prep and pics from St. Paddys Day 2012

DD was very happy with Dads Cooking!

0b210978.jpg

8ac169d7.jpg

6c64d0f3.jpg

996b4a32.jpg

Oh! Yeah!... Spaghetti Too!

a007d6c4.jpg

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Jimmy, congratulations on a good day with DD. I remember when the girls were still home...a day without fighting or mood swings was usually a day I was out of town.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Embryodad

Jimmy, congratulations on a good day with DD. I remember when the girls were still home...a day without fighting or mood swings was usually a day I was out of town.:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Yeah! Thanks Joe! ....

I know why she was in a good mood...

She got her Tax Refund check today!... She's got shopping on her mind. That puts her in Auto Good mood! L O L

She even cleaned up for me, and washed the pots and dishes before she went home.

She is usually a good kid though! I have no trouble with her...but her and her mother...ho ho ho...look out!

AllenOK

Ok, here's the pork loin after I marinated it.

20120317asianmarinatedp.jpg

Here's the roast when it came out of the oven. I brushed it with more of the marinade about 15 minutes before it came out. I probably should have been basting it the entire time. Something to think about, especially if I do this in the grill.

20120317sesamemarinated.jpg

Here's a plate, or rather, bowl. Fried Rice underneath, sliced pork on top.

20120317sesameporkloinf.jpg

OMFG!!! It was delicious!!!!

Click >HERE< for the recipe!

Last edited: