Looking for an idea

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Good idea, Andy!

I've never actually made seafood triangles, but I think I'd start with the same kind of filling that I use to stuff flounder.

Saute some aromatics (onion, shallots, leeks, whatever you have), and maybe some chopped mushrooms. Deglaze the pan with a little dry white wine. Add crabmeat, maybe small shrimp (or cut up larger ones), a few (not much) cracker or bread crumbs for body. Then put in something creamy - cream, cream cheese, brie, anything on the mild side so it doesn't overwhelm the delicate seafood.

Fill and fold the same as for the spinach. Since everything is precooked, you don't have to worry about timing - just get it beautifully browned.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
SS - That sounds delicious.

Brie is an interesting idea. How would you feel about Ricotta?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Grate and saute 1/2 a butternut squash. Saute it with grated shallot. Toss it with feta, nutmeg, parsley and S&P....wrap it the same way as spanikopita

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Why not do a take on a Rangoon?

Crab meat, green onion, garlic, a little cayenne, cream cheese, wrap and either bake or fry.

buckytom

Grill Master
good ideas all!

how about going mexican - veracruz style?

make the filling of shrimp and/or a flakey white fish, garlic, lime, and chilis, bake, then serve over a pool of a creamy mojo de ajo.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
OK - Thank you all. I had to do a bit of Google to understand some of the dishes. Uncle Ralph - I had no idea what Rangoon was. Since my original goal was to use the other half a box of phyllo, I am probably going to combine your suggestion and Silver Sage's.

Bucky - Again, no idea what mojo de ajo is. After a Google of that, It is high on my radar.

I plan / hope to do Peeps spinach pies, see how much volume of filling I need and go with something along the lines of SS and Uncle Ralph's suggestion.

This is a dinner for my Birthday, which happened earlier this month. I have been being "put on hold" since Thanksgiving for cooking all through the holidays so far as cooking anything. I keep getting the "It's OK, we don't want you to go to any trouble". Followed by the "We have it all under control". I have been asked for an appy and I hope to remind them all that I make some pretty good food that they have all enjoyed for a long time. I hope this does it. I'm still not making dinner, though. Bummer.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I was looking around for something shrimpy for the Shrimp Showcase, and I ran across mini phyllo cups filled with shrimp salad. It's just an alternative to fillling and wrapping the phyllo into triangles, and it sounds pretty easy. Brush the layers of phyllo with butter, cut, push down into mini cupcake pan, bake, cool, and fill with whatever (crab rangoon filling sounds mighty good to me).

SilverSage

Resident Crone
This is a dinner for my Birthday, which happened earlier this month. I have been being "put on hold" since Thanksgiving for cooking all through the holidays so far as cooking anything. I keep getting the "It's OK, we don't want you to go to any trouble". Followed by the "We have it all under control". I have been asked for an appy and I hope to remind them all that I make some pretty good food that they have all enjoyed for a long time. I hope this does it. I'm still not making dinner, though. Bummer.

:oops: Andy, we missed your birthday! When was it? And WHY isn't it in your profile?

Happy Belated B'Day, my friend!

:dancing:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you for the Birthday Wishes. My birthday was January 6, I checked my profile and a check was in the wrong place. I know it was not that way last year and I do not recall messing it up, but, I must have.

Anyway. I crashed and burned really badly on the appetizer project. I got up at 6:00 this AM to start. First up the spinach pies. I made the filling and it went great. Smelled outrageously good. I misunderstood the directions and cut the Phyllo dough the wrong way. I ended up with squares. I then cut the squares in half and "thought" that I had something to work with. I was not clear on how much filling to put in the dough, so, I used a bit over a Tbsp. Too much. I ended up with 23 pies, half what I should have had, they were too big, As a result they did not brown in the three or four minutes, then they got too hot and melted the butter out of the pies, then there was melted butter laying in the cookie sheet. I will stop the story here. What I made was unservable.

It filling smelled so good, that I will try again, wiser now. Otherwise dinner was great.

Should I move this to Kitchen disasters.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Thank you for the Birthday Wishes. My birthday was January 6, I checked my profile and a check was in the wrong place. I know it was not that way last year and I do not recall messing it up, but, I must have.

Anyway. I crashed and burned really badly on the appetizer project. I got up at 6:00 this AM to start. First up the spinach pies. I made the filling and it went great. Smelled outrageously good. I misunderstood the directions and cut the Phyllo dough the wrong way. I ended up with squares. I then cut the squares in half and "thought" that I had something to work with. I was not clear on how much filling to put in the dough, so, I used a bit over a Tbsp. Too much. I ended up with 23 pies, half what I should have had, they were too big, As a result they did not brown in the three or four minutes, then they got too hot and melted the butter out of the pies, then there was melted butter laying in the cookie sheet. I will stop the story here. What I made was unservable.

It filling smelled so good, that I will try again, wiser now. Otherwise dinner was great.

Should I move this to Kitchen disasters.
Happy belated birthday Andy!

Oh Andy I am so sorry this happened. I am sorry if my directions weren't good. I feel so bad. :sad:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Peeps - this one is all on me. Please do not feel bad. First I was in a hurry, I only had the kitchen for a little while and I wasn't thinking methodically as I should.

AllenOK

I know it's a few days late and a dollar short, but...

Last week my Exec. Chef at the country club made a small quantity of duck confit, shredded that, and used it for stuffing just like for spanikopita.