Do you sauce your steak??

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
There are some excellent steak sauces out there, other than those created in kitchens at steak houses. I'm not crazy about the Peter Luger sauce.

I'd be interested in making a steak sauce...

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
:huh: I don't remember that...I did a forum search out of curiosity and saw where I made a comment about my SIL putting ketchup on all meat and then about you putting Catalina dressing on a steak but that was all I found.

Ahhh yes, I stand corrected Mama.. however, I recall a "ketchup controversy" somewhere along the line :lol:.. sorry :flowers:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I just Googled 'Catalina Dressing' and what I got reminds me of what we called "French Dressing' when I was a kid. Is it the same thing? If not, what's the difference?

How about Thousand Island and Russian Dressing?

Yes, Catalina/Sweet Honey French..

Russian dressing is gorgeous too.

buckytom

Grill Master
i make three sauces for cooked beast: baby bok choy/ginger/garlic/fish sauce, red wine/garlic/scallion, and garlic/grated locatelli/ketchup.

Got Bourbon?

Here are a few ideas for bourbon sauce & bourbon butter (for those that insist they won't touch bottled anything, ;-)). Haven't tried them yet. Think either would be great for chicken, ribs, burgers, chops, etc. (The problem, for me, w/ some bottled sauces is, I think they tend to be loaded with sugar or salt.)

Kentucky Bourbon Steak:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Kentucky-Bourbon-Sirloin-Steak-231339

Grilled Steak with Whiskey Butter:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Grilled-Steak-with-Whiskey-Butter-242257

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
i make three sauces for cooked beast: baby bok choy/ginger/garlic/fish sauce, red wine/garlic/scallion, and garlic/grated locatelli/ketchup.

You made me look up "locatelli", BT.

You make a sauce of garlic, grated pecorino romano, and ketchup? How did you come up with that?

Lee

buckytom

Grill Master
i guess i should really consider it a condiment rather than a sauce.

i made a minute steak sandwich once, and i didn't have all of the ingredients for a garlic cheese steak, so i combined what i had on hand.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds like a great burger topping and a dip for fries, too, BT!

Lee

High Cheese

Saucier
I think those cuts labeled as "London Broil" are a great bargain (if you like meat med/rare). I usually grill them over high heat, slice very thin and plate with Bearnaise sauce. Tastes like a million bucks everytime and we can usually squeeze out some steak sandwiches with the leftovers.

Steaks (ribeye, strip) cooked in a pan are usually basted with butter, thyme and garlic. With those cuts sometimes I'll make a pan sauce as simple as deglazing with red wine and reducing to nearly a syrup to making a pan sauce with stock, herbs, veg, wine and demi. Sauteed mushrooms in their own sauce is nice too. Any time I make a tenderloin it's accompanied with a sauce. I think my favorite would be a compound butter, then a red wine/demi sauce second, third would have to be some sort of horseradish sauce or Bearnaise.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I found this ingredient list:

Ingredients:

• 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 cup onion, coarsely chopped
  • 1 large clove garlic
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
It could have possibilities.

This weekend, I broiled some thin ribeyes, seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic. I decided some sauteed mushrooms on top would be nice, Cut up mushrooms, two large shallots and four cloves of garlic. Sauteed in butter till tender. As I was watching all this happen, I said "What the heck" I dumped in a shot of Jack Daniels.

It came out pretty good.

AllenOK

I am perfectly happy to eat a piece of beast that has been seared to medium over a flame, seasoned with salt, pepper, and maybe some garlic. Just gimme some bread to sop up the juices/blood.

That said, there are many excellent compound butters that go good with steak. I make and serve bearnaise at work; it's the de facto sauce for tenderloins. I can't say that I've actually tried a piece of beast dipped in bearnaise, though.

Sauteed onions and mushrooms, on the side, or on top of the piece of beast, are excellent, especially if there is some thyme mixed into the veggies.

Everyone that admitted to KETCHUP on their steak needs to fork over their Diner's Club International card for their heresy!

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
sauce, not so much. . .but, about once a month, I make a batch of compound butter to throw in the freezer. Typically I do the following:

Butter
garlic
Gorgonzola
Fresh chopped rosemary
red wine
worchestershire
salt
fresh cracked black pepper
a lil chopped parsley
and a splash of balsamic

mix well, make into a log, freeze and cut as needed.

As for A1, I may be the only person that doesn't care for it, I refer to it as "Bad Steak Cover-up Sauce".

cara

hmm... a really good piece of meat doesn't have blood, even if it's medium rare...
for that I only need some compound butter, prefered fresh made by me ;o)

if the meat isn't that good - it's not so easy to find that quality - the steak still goes with butter, but the fluids are perfect for the potatoes.