What is your favorite diner?

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I use to love to go to the diner at Shaker Square--it was open just about 24 hours--years ago it changed hands. I have not been there in ages. It was not a fancy place (still isn't) but one could make book and see a bunch a interesting characters depending upon when you were there. I use to love to get a bulldog copy of the paper just to do the crossword puzzle and sit and talk with friends. It was the place to go after an indie or foreign film for a discussion as well.

The Big Egg keeps getting shuttered for health reasons and then, and reopens but there have been late nights when I could not sleep and saw just about everyone I knew on the East side there. It is the kind of place like Denny's where one can just point on the menu to decide what one wants.

The Red Chimney has a great reputation in town. It is where cops like to hang out and get into fights and their desserts were pretty good last time that I was there.

Do you have a favorite diner or diner(s) that you love to hang at or go to when you cannot sleep?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
when i lived in Flint,MI we use to go to Gillie's Coney Island in Mount Morris

the other place and my favorite place to eat in the world, also open 24 hours a day is Ruchi's Taqueria in Houston,Tx... we use to all eat there for a month straight when the Houston Livestock Show was on...best damn pastor tacos in the world IMHO

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Oh my, i don't know... I think my favorite dinner would be a plate of fresh cooked lobster and a steak, cooked medium rare with an all fresh vegetable salad.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
One of my favorite diners in San Antonio is The Pig Stand. (And luckily, it's within walking distance from my house!)
http://www.myspace.com/pigstand

In Houston, I used to hang out at Simpson's Diner downtown. I think it's gone now but it was one of those old silver bullet kind of places - open 24 hours, of course. I loved it.

Last edited:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
One of my favorite diners in San Antonio is The Pig Stand. (And luckily, it's witin walking distance from my house!)
http://www.myspace.com/pigstand

In Houston, I used to hang out at Simpson's Diner downtown. I think it's gone now but it was one of those old silver bullet kind of places - open 24 hours, of course. I loved it.

i have eaten at the Pig Stand many times... awesome food...

Deelady

One would be a small place in Cali called Mariah's I use to go to but they were only open for breakfast.....they made the BEST omelettes and homemade salsa!!! I kept telling them they needed to bottle the stuff!!

We just discovered one caled Fitzy's pretty close where we live now, their hash browns are amazing, can't figure out their method, they do something different than I have ever seen before, and their omelettes are ginormous!! :D :D

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
was that Mariah's West Wind Restaurant in Carlsbad?

One would be a small place in Cali called Mariah's I use to go to but they were only open for breakfast.....they made the BEST omelettes and homemade salsa!!! I kept telling them they needed to bottle the stuff!!

We just discovered one caled Fitzy's pretty close where we live now, their hash browns are amazing, can't figure out their method, they do something different than I have ever seen before, and their omelettes are ginormous!! :D :D

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I love that Bams! It really is a small world, isn't it?

yup it is... i stayed at the motel 6 on North WW White Road... there is a mexican restaurant right beside there that made my tummy grumble every morning....they would cook beef and the smell would drift through the air...oh the memories..lol

there is another restaurant across the street behind the gas station...just cant think of the names of them..i ate there alot...alway made me breakfast no matter what time i showed up..lol

Deelady

yup my SIL and her family are from San Diego - its her favorite place to eat breakfast

Yeah but San Diego is NOT a small place! Wow, what are the chances!!
If you are ever near Oceanside let me know and I'll tell you were the Pastor taco place is! They are open everyday till 2-3 am :D

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Yeah but San Diego is NOT a small place! Wow, what are the chances!!
If you are ever near Oceanside let me know and I'll tell you were the Pastor taco place is! They are open everyday till 2-3 am :D

one of my favorite place to eat in Cali is a place called The Hat ... best hot pastrami sandwich in the world

hey if you are driving from ocean side to del mar, do you turn right at a the stop light and its right there on the right, i believe by the 7/11? or is it the one that looks like a house with a drive thru? because i believe i have eaten at every mexican place between oceanside and delmar..lol

we use to stay at a little dive motel/kitchenette place by oceanside..lol

forgot to mention that my SIL still lives in Del Mar hun...my brother is a travelling salesman

Deelady

one of my favorite place to eat in Cali is a place called The Hat ... best hot pastrami sandwich in the world

hey if you are driving from ocean side to del mar, do you turn right at a the stop light and its right there on the right, i believe by the 7/11? or is it the one that looks like a house with a drive thru? because i believe i have eaten at every mexican place between oceanside and delmar..lol

we use to stay at a little dive motel/kitchenette place by oceanside..lol

forgot to mention that my SIL still lives in Del Mar hun...my brother is a travelling salesman

If you are talking about the taco place then no....it was fairly new when we moved from there almost 2 yrs ago, its prob been in business less than 4 yrs.
I believe it was off the 78 fwy near the 5 fwy

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
If you are talking about the taco place then no....it was fairly new when we moved from there almost 2 yrs ago, its prob been in business less than 4 yrs.
I believe it was off the 78 fwy near the 5 fwy

i was there 3-4 years ago...lol

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
My favorite was a Mom and Pop place I used to dish wash and eventually cooked for. Best and freshest seafood ever. We had weekly deliveries direct from the docks of the gulf.

Shrimp Po-Boys, Oyster Po-Boys, Gumbo, Jambalaya, fried and broiled fish, steamed crab, West Indies salad, hush puppies, homemade tartar sauce…..WOW. It was THE place for seafood. The shrimp, crab, and fish was never more than 24 hours old and came straight from the docks. You have not eaten seafod unless you caught it yourself or went to a "dock house".

http://mobile.citysearch.com/profile/1487263/mobile_al/nan_seas_restaurant.html#profileTab-maps

Last edited:

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
There's a place called Jesse's at at 11th and Memorial in Tulsa that I used to eat at several times a week. I guess that would still be considered my favorite. Tally's in Tulsa is good too.

There was a place in Baraboo, WI called Christina's that used to have great food. Unfortunately they ran into money problems, and went with a cheaper food vendor, and the quality went down. Last I heard the owner was in jail for taking undeclared loans or something like that...

Derek

Banned
I have 2 favorite meals, One when my mom cooks it "RIGHT" and spends the time on the dish it's awesome, It's called sweet & sour pork"

And the other one wh, When I make Proper Enchiladas.

Lefty

Yank

I noticed that, but couldn't bring myself to correct them. I have a diner called Miss Brunswick Diner that has some great stuff, looks like something out of the fifties... I have been to better, but this one is the best local one to me. Breakfast is great there too.

Derek

Banned
Crap My post didn't take.

Let me re post it.

Ok since Bam pointed I made a foopa mistake, My favorite diner would be at an Exit nearing Ann Arbor, The truck stop was on EXIT 144A, Had several difference reasons why it's my fav restaurant.

1. The food was good until the new owners took it over.
2. Always had good sized food "again until the new owners took it over"
3.Had a treasure box with good loot and not cheap crap "again until the new onwers took over"
4. Had a very very cool train set that ran about every 10 minutes, And the train was HUGE.

Hey jeff you probably remember this resturant, It was on exit 144A going to Ann Arbor Way.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I noticed that, but couldn't bring myself to correct them. I have a diner called Miss Brunswick Diner that has some great stuff, looks like something out of the fifties... I have been to better, but this one is the best local one to me. Breakfast is great there too.

i brought myself to it..lmao

i have been on the phone with the canadian tax department for the last hour...i am ready to argue or correct anybody...:yum::yum::yum::yum::yum:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
exit 144A off of what eway?

Crap My post didn't take.

Let me re post it.

Ok since Bam pointed I made a foopa mistake, My favorite diner would be at an Exit nearing Ann Arbor, The truck stop was on EXIT 144A, Had several difference reasons why it's my fav restaurant.

1. The food was good until the new owners took it over.
2. Always had good sized food "again until the new owners took it over"
3.Had a treasure box with good loot and not cheap crap "again until the new onwers took over"
4. Had a very very cool train set that ran about every 10 minutes, And the train was HUGE.

Hey jeff you probably remember this resturant, It was on exit 144A going to Ann Arbor Way.

Lefty

Yank
i brought myself to it..lmao

i have been on the phone with the canadian tax department for the last hour...i am ready to argue or correct anybody...:yum::yum::yum::yum::yum:

If I was dealing with the gubment I prolly wouldn't be my normal cheery self. ;)