2 tablespoons of corn starch

For the Corn Dog Batter:

1 1/3 cups of self-rising cornmeal mix
1/3 cup of self-rising flour
1/4 cup of sugar
2 tablespoons of bacon drippings or vegetable oil
1 egg, slighten beaten
1 1/4 cup of buttermilk

Heat oil in deep fryer to 375 degrees F.
In a large bowl, stir together corn meal mix, flour and sugar.
Mix together the egg and buttermilk.
Add to the dry ingredients.
Pour in the bacon drippings (you can use vegetable oil but the bacon dripping gives it a better flavor).
Mix well.
Allow to sit for 10 minutes.

Pour the batter into a tall drinking glass.

Pat the hot dogs dry with a paper towel.
Put one stick into each corn dog.
Roll in the corn starch and shake off the excess.
Dip into the batter and twirl it around as you remove it from the glass.
Immediately put it into the deep fryer and fry for just a minute turning to brown all sides.
Be careful, if you leave it in the oil too long, they will become greasy.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh good night! Those look incredible. They look “store bought” but way better. What a magnificent job!

The drinking glass trick!!! I always wondered how I’d do a corndog……that is it. I’ll give these a shot. Thanks!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
You can use Eckridge if you want...I'm easy to get along with...but you will need to put sugar in your cornbread for this one....:wink:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
You can use Eckridge if you want...I'm easy to get along with...but you will need to put sugar in your cornbread for this one....:wink:

:yum:

What kind of fryer are you using? I've got a round "Fry Daddy" (actually, it's a different name brand) that isn't deep enough. I'm thinking of using a large CI pan and just turning the dog and hope it keeps its shape. How'd you accomplish the fry part?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
This is what i have:

410vYCOcGTL._SS500_.jpg

Maybe you could cut the hotdogs in half and make mini corndogs?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
This is what i have:

410vYCOcGTL._SS500_.jpg

I showed DW your recipe and pics, and she is smitten. She is dead set on making these tomorrow. I told her my best guess was that you had one of those types of fryers! I knew it, I knew it, I knew it! :yum:

We’ve actually been meaning to get one if we can make room on the counters! The round one we have goes into a cabinet when it’s done its work.

But HALF corndogs! :pat: :pat:

Why didn’t I think of that! Bless you! :tiphat: :clap: :applause: :kiss:

I just told DW about half dogs, and after a second, the light went on! We’re going to try it tomorrow! Thank you!

And you know, we often grill dogs for the kids in the neighborhood (yeah, we’re the really nice grill people across the street), and they love it. I’m betting they’ll love getting their hands on some Half Dogs! This rocks!

And uh….hmph…..DW just asked why didn’t I think of Half Dogs. :glare: :yum: :yum: :yum:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That's good of you to do that for the neighbor kids. I do the same..it's the best security system in the world. Those kids will never let anybody mess with your house while your gone! :yum:

As for the deep fryer...I highly recommend the one I have. It's a little more expensive than the others but the temp goes higher than most. After I got mine, Alton Brown did an episode on deep fryers and he recommended the exact same one.

CharlieD

Is there a substitude for buttermilk? Can't have any dairy.

Looks awesome. I love cron dogs, to me it's a whole meal on a stick.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
You could try substituting soy milk for the buttermilk. Just add either 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to the soy milk and let it sit for a little bit so it can "sour" before adding it into the mix. I've never tried it so I don't know how well it would work. If you decide to give it a try, let us know how it works out.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
The vinegar/lemon juice just gives it a sour tang....it doesn't actually sour the milk

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I made these tonight, but due to my limited equipment, and under Mama's expert guidance, I made Half Dogs! Wonderful, and so fun!!

Using Bamboo Skewers we got from the local Asian Market, we made Half Corndogs. Thank you Mama for the suggestion. It worked very well.

In the end, I cut the skewers down to half size AFTER frying. The extra length during frying made frying very easy, but for presentation, I cut them down using sheers or even wire snips.

Plate it all on a large platter with Ore-Ida fries and a Ketchup/Mustard mix for central dipping. We shared this, so basically….another date plate. It was fun and very tasty! Have napkins on hand and be ready to really enjoy your meal in the most light-hearted and fun of ways. Thank you so much Mama!! This was not only very tasty, but really fun!! :thumb:

The batter is to die for! Love it!!

5f3c7d.jpg

2ns13py.jpg

33ncjfl.jpg

chowhound

I can honestly say that I've never eaten a corndog, but you guys are making them look mighty tempting. I like the half dog presentation. A submission to Cooks Magazine might be in order ;^) Great pics.

homecook

Oh man!! My youngest grandson loves corndogs. I'll have to make these next time he spends the night. Great idea! Great pics Mama and Keltin.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
This is what i have:

410vYCOcGTL._SS500_.jpg

Those corndogs look DELICIOUS!!! I have that same fryer too, so I will definitely be trying this recipe!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm so glad you liked them Keltin!!!! They are a lot of fun to make, so are the funnel cakes. When you use the deep fryer like I have, If you do a whole corn dog, you have to take the basket out. GREAT PICS!

buckytom

Grill Master
i've always wanted to try a corn dog. maybe someday, when i can get past the sausage and peppers, smoked turkey legs, nachos, pizza, cotton candy, and waffles and ice cream at the county fair...

as usual, looks great mama and keltin.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i've always wanted to try a corn dog. maybe someday, when i can get past the sausage and peppers, smoked turkey legs, nachos, pizza, cotton candy, and waffles and ice cream at the county fair...

as usual, looks great mama and keltin.

or the funnel cakes,elephant ears,roasted corn on the cob,fresh kettle corn,hot dogs, fries, burgers, burritos, pizza, gyros, fry bread,fried cheesecake,fresh squeezed lemonade and lots more...

Constance

Oh, wow, I LOVE corn dogs!

Mama, I'm way too old to be your daughter, but maybe you could adopt me as a cousin who visits often?