Mimi's Cafe for Dee

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
http://www.mimiscafe.com/

144 locations

a chain but a very good dining experience. the food has always been great the times i have eaten at it.

vnia1f.jpg

French Onion Soup

am7686.jpg

Spinach Dip (barely got a pic b4 nephew started grabbing food..lol)

332qk9c.jpg

not a great picture but it was a Crab & Avacodo Omelette

2zpjbdv.jpg

Deelady

Is that the one is Oceanside Bams?? If so that is the shopping center that has the taco place I was telling you about awhile ago!! :)

But what made you post this for me?? LOL

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Is that the one is Oceanside Bams?? If so that is the shopping center that has the taco place I was telling you about awhile ago!! :)

But what made you post this for me?? LOL

nope this one is in Anaheim

the one you are talking about is only a short ways away from me...staying on Mission Bay Drive right now..

Also ate my first fish taco the other day at Rubio's down the street

IMG_7564-rubios.jpg

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i posted it because i thought i remembered you saying that it was one of your favorites and was bringing you some warm thoughts:smile:

It's nice to hear that all "Mimi's" aren't the same. Husband & I had a less than stellar experience a couple of months ago at the Gainesville, VA, location. Here's the review I posted on the "Yelp" site:

"My husband and I really enjoy trying new places to dine, whether it be fine dining, little mom and pop spots, quaint bistros, or chain restaurants. It’s always a mini-adventure and you never know when you’ll happen upon a real gem. Unfortunately, Mimi’s Café ain’t that gem. We stopped in today for the very first time around 1 p.m. for brunch/lunch, and the entire experience was a bit surreal.

We entered at 1 p.m. to a fairly packed house. Could have sat immediately in the bar area, but elected to take our little electric widget & wait the 5-10 minutes the hostess advised it would be for seating in the dining area. Twenty minutes later, a different hostess finally seated us, babbling at the speed of light re: whether we were there for dinner or breakfast (since they have a large floor sign stating they serve “breakfast all day”). When we said we really didn’t know, she gave us 2 lunch/dinner menus and 1(?) breakfast menu. So we glanced at the lunch/dinner menus & than had to pass the breakfast menu back & forth between us to decide. Another 15 minutes later, we get to place a drink order (water and ice tea), and are told by our waiter (again, another one speaking at the speed of light – are the staff here required to be on amphetamines - lol?) tells us he’ll back in a minute to take our order. ANOTHER 15 minutes later he’s back for our order, but tells me that the Blueberry Muffin I ordered “mightnotbereadybecausehehadtobringintheblueberriesinthismorningandtheymightnotbedoneyet”. Fine. Whatever.

I ordered the “Five-Alarm Sante Fe Omelette”, described as “Diced jalapenos, cilantro, tomatoes, onions, tortilla strips, jack cheese and spicy chipotle sauce – served with red skin potatoes, freshly baked muffin and fresh squeezed juice”. Husband had the “High Protein Breakfast” from the “Fit and Trim” menu, which was “3 scrambled egg whites accompanied by a grilled ground turkey patty, several slices of tomato on lettuce, orange juice, and dry wheat toast”. Now the fun begins.

By the time we placed our order, the place had pretty much emptied out except for a few tables and a party of 10 in a separate room. And although there were literally dozens of staff members running around doing Lord knows what, it was 20-25 minutes later before we received our food! For eggs? Since we had a fairly good view of the kitchen, we did pass the time by betting how long someone’s sandwich order was going to sit on the kitchen’s out counter before it was served. I won at 20 minutes. Twenty minutes that same sandwich sat there! Bet it was delicious to whoever ordered it – lol!! FINALLY – a different server comes out with our meals, minus my muffin and tomato juice, and husband’s toast and orange juice. She asks if there’s anything else she can get us. Uh, YES, the rest of what’s supposed to come with these meals, maybe? She goes back to the kitchen & comes out to ask me if I’m “sure” I ordered a blueberry muffin, as our server insists I ordered pumpkin. Since I can’t stand, for the most part, pumpkin items, I assure her that yes, I DID order a blueberry muffin, and it’s a moot point since I haven’t been served any muffin yet anyway. Blueberry Muffin arrives, as does husband’s "dry" wheat toast – with butter (lol) – and the two juices. Obviously the wait staff isn’t required to actually read the menus to see what’s supposed to come with each entrée.

Food quality? My omelette was quite small, and the edges were very crispy and brown. All ingredients were there in VERY minor numbers except for the diced tomatoes, which were missing entirely. The “tortilla strips” turned out to be a couple of tortilla chips crumbled on top. (Someone oughta tell them that this isn’t the same thing as “tortilla strips”, which are meant to be soft/chewy.) The “red skin potatoes” had no skin whatsoever, and were burnt and tasted of old griddle grease. Couldn’t finish them. The blueberry muffin, while steaming hot, was overly sweet, and while apparently chock full of blueberries, strangely had absolutely no blueberry flavor whatesoever. Tasted of nothing but sugar – and a strange-tasting sugar at that. Husband’s egg whites were good, although the large pile of sliced pale Styrofoam tomatoes sort of dwarfed them. The ground turkey patty, surprisingly, was a very nice size – the only saving grace of this entire meal. His wheat toast was burnt, and one has to laugh at how they flipped the black burnt sides to the inside so you didn’t see them when the plate was set down. Good thing they made the mistake of giving him the butter, as burnt toast is difficult to get down without it – lol!

At this very late point we were beyond wanting to complain and just wanted to get the hell out of there asap. Luckily, our speed-demon waiter who did the disappearing act during our food service was right on time with the check. After tax and tip (and husband left a 20% tip against his better judgment), bill came to $23.60.

We will definitely not be back. The only reason we can see for putting up with poor service, a poorly managed kitchen, and poor to passable food is because it’s CHEAP. And this place definitely proves that old adage that “you get what you pay for”."

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
yah must have been the place you were at... the ones here are always good food & and i am a restaurant snob.lol

i think my bill came to $50 for 3 adults and my nephew(i only ate a turkey sammie)

pappy19

Here in Utah, we go to the Mimi's in Layton and it has always been a fantastic eating experience. It is my absolute favorite breakfast spot to eat out and as a treat. I've never had a bad experience there.

Pap