Ideas for ravioli?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I bought some spinach and cheese ravioli and am looking for some ideas to serve it.

I've done the red spaghetti sauce with sausages/meatballs.

Done basil pesto.

Done brown butter and sage.

Love them all.

What else ya got?

Lee

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
This is a huge hit at the restaurant.

You'll need:

Italian sausage - hot or sweet.
Diced red tomatoes - not canned, they have to be raw
minced garlic
chicken stock
butter
basil
white wine
red pepper flakes
S&P
good grated cheese

Boil the ravioli till al dente

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a sauté pan large enough to hold all the ravioli, or do it in shifts. Add the sliced sausage and sauté til cooked through. (I use 2oz per portion) Add the diced tomato ( I use about half a medium tomato for each portion, or 7 large raviolis), 1/8t red pepper flakes, 1t minced fresh garlic (don't use bottled). Swirl it around till it gets fragrant and the butter just begins to brown. Add 4oz chicken stock (per portion) and give it a minute to reduce.
Add half cup white wine and the cooked ravioli. S&P, 1T chiffonade of basil and 2T grated cheese. Swirl around and let it cook in the pan for another minute.
Done.

I do each order separately and to order. The most I've ever done is 4 orders in a pan at a time. It's important for the flavours to mingle and develop. Don't overcrowd your pan.
Finish with more fresh basil, cracked black pepper.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Andy, I am not an "at home" fryer, but I'll order THAT dish in a restaurant!

Vera, YUM!!!

Thank you both!

Lee

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
baby spinach & bleu cheeses pair well. (i wilt the spinach in a splash of olive oil w/ garlic & place the cheese in a few minutes before i plate.)

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Luvs, do you mean to serve the wilted spinach and blue cheese as a side dish for the ravioli?

No sauce?

Lee

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
if i cook that pasta~. when the pasta is near-cooked, add crumbles of cheese. the spinach is last-minute. the second the cheese begins to cook, it is time to wilt the spinach. when that spinach nears a vibrant green, u gotta take pan from stove & plate asap.

not a side-dish. i incorporate the ingredients.

Calicolady

I would use alfredo sauce. But when I make anything with alfredo I usually first add about 1-2 TBS. extra light virgin olive oil to a pot, then add some minced garlic, and chopped or minced chopped clams. Just stir for a couple of minutes, (I use a fairly high-sided sauce pan as the sauce with oil/garlic/clams, then white wine with alfredo added tends to bubble up if not constantly attended to, or if heat is not turned down to med-low), then add just a touch of whatever white wine I have on hand, cook it down a bit, then add the alfredo, and add some fresh ground black pepper. Stir until well combined and aromatic-just several minutes. When done, I add chopped fresh parsley. Spoon a couple of large serving spoonfuls on the botton of the serving platter, drain ravioli, then add the ravioli on top, in a single layer, then add the remaining sauce on top, followed by the rest of the sauce and a generous sprinkling of fresh grated parmesan cheese and another sprinkling of fresh parsley.
Ocassionally I've added chopped up sundried tomatoes at the same time I've added the clams. The zing of the tomatoes adds a nice touch and somewhat lightens, along with the wine, the heaviness of the alfredo sauce.

Red pepper flakes or a crumble of italian sausage in place of the clams added to alfredo would work nicely too.

Enjoy!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have not tried it, but, I have been wondering about fried ravioli.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gl=US&ie=UTF-8&source=android-browser&q=fried+ravioli

I've had it and really like it as an appetizer when guest come over or football games etc. I serve it with my red sauce which I posted before and this is the recipe I use for it when I make it.

Fried Ravioli - Giada De Laurentiis

Ingredients
Olive oil, for frying
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups Italian-style bread crumbs
1 box store-bought cheese ravioli (about 24 ravioli)
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1 jar store bought marinara sauce, heated, for dipping (I use my own home made)

Directions
Pour enough olive oil into a large frying pan to reach a depth of 2 inches. Heat the oil over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 325 degrees F.

While the oil is heating, put the buttermilk and the bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Working in batches, dip ravioli in buttermilk to coat completely. Allow the excess buttermilk to drip back into the bowl. Dredge ravioli in the bread crumbs. Place the ravioli on a baking sheet, and continue with the remaining ravioli.

When the oil is hot, fry the ravioli in batches, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fried ravioli to paper towels to drain.

Sprinkle the fried ravioli with Parmesan and serve with a bowl of warmed marinara sauce for dipping.

Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 15 min
4 to 6 servings

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oooooo, Calicolady! Alfredo with crumbled sausage!!

Lovin' that one, too!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Joe, that recipe for fried ravioli doesn't look very complicated.

Andy, what say you and I both try that one soon?

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This is a huge hit at the restaurant.

You'll need:

Italian sausage - hot or sweet.
Diced red tomatoes - not canned, they have to be raw
minced garlic
chicken stock
butter
basil
white wine
red pepper flakes
S&P
good grated cheese

Boil the ravioli till al dente

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a sauté pan large enough to hold all the ravioli, or do it in shifts. Add the sliced sausage and sauté til cooked through. (I use 2oz per portion) Add the diced tomato ( I use about half a medium tomato for each portion, or 7 large raviolis), 1/8t red pepper flakes, 1t minced fresh garlic (don't use bottled). Swirl it around till it gets fragrant and the butter just begins to brown. Add 4oz chicken stock (per portion) and give it a minute to reduce.
Add half cup white wine and the cooked ravioli. S&P, 1T chiffonade of basil and 2T grated cheese. Swirl around and let it cook in the pan for another minute.
Done.

I do each order separately and to order. The most I've ever done is 4 orders in a pan at a time. It's important for the flavours to mingle and develop. Don't overcrowd your pan.
Finish with more fresh basil, cracked black pepper.

I made this tonight.

It occurred to me afterwards, that you probably cooked the sausage whole, then sliced it relatively thinly, and sautéed it in butter. I thickly sliced RAW sausage (not easy) and sautéed it, resulting in knobs of sausage instead of slices.

Thanks for sharing, VB!

Next time, I'll improve!

The quality of the ravioli was disappointing, but the sausage and sauce was delicious!

Lee

Attachments

• Vera's ravioli and sausage.JPG
    Vera's ravioli and sausage.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 119